When replacing Mozilla with Firefox, attend to pinstall.sh.

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
papaschtroumpf

When replacing Mozilla with Firefox, attend to pinstall.sh.

#1 Post by papaschtroumpf »

I built from Unleashed and removed mozilla and added firefox.

By default this doesn't create a link for dillo to firefox, so clicking on an html in rox or using man doesn't work "out of the box". The pinstall.sh should probably check for dillo and insert a link if needed.

In icewm, the mozilla entry is still in the menu: it opens firefox but it's not clean. the pinstall.sh should check that mozilla if mozilla is a real file instead of a link and comment out the icewm menu entry rather than rely on icewm's "autohide" feature since it doesn't work in this case.
Mandriva LE 2005 user and puppy newbie

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

icewm shows menu items that are installed ... when there actually is an executable file for that menu item

Puppy has some symlinks, so if you run firefox or mozilla or opera, they will all start whatever browser Puppy has installed

but this means that firefox and opera and mozilla all have exectable files ... so they will all show up in the menu unless the menu item is commented

menu items that run by starting an rxvt window will all appear in the menu, whether installed or not, because rxvt is installed

probably icewm (and fluxbox) should be integrated into the unleashed system, rather than using icewm's convenient dynamic menu feature ... i haven't gotten around to it, mainly because i haven't gotten around to making an icewm Unleashed package

(the dotpup is quick and simple and convenient and runs well from the hard drive ... but an Unleashed package would be immediately available when the cd boots on a new machine ... if the dotpup were included on the cd, it would always be available when Puppy boots on a new machine ... it could even be setup to install automatically ... maybe any dotpups in a dir on the cd called autopups would install automatically when Puppy boots ... dotpups could be made that can also install unattended, without user interaction)

papaschtroumpf

#3 Post by papaschtroumpf »

sorry, I need to stop putting two different subjects in one post. I agree with all that you said regarding the menus. I have built an unleashed for icewm but it's not quite ready for prime time especially since I'm about to leave for a month and wouldn't be able to support it. I'm also waiting for the trash feature to get finalized to add it to the unleashed.

Anyway the bug report was that no link is created for dillo, so man doesn't work for example. Maybe man should use puppy-browser, or create a new puppy-simple-browser to make aliasing easier.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

Firefox or Mozilla are not the best choice for internal HTML viewer, due to slow startup time.
I set it up with intention that if not using Mozilla (which has the fairly fast startup gtkmoz program), then you should also include the phv or dillo package.

If you really absolutely want Firefox as the internal viewer -- and bear in mind that on very old hardware the startup time is horrendous -- then yes, pinstall.sh should be tweaked
-- probably check to see if /usr/local/bin/dillo or /usr/local/bin/phv exists, if not then make links.

papaschtroumpf

#5 Post by papaschtroumpf »

yeah, I made links. dillo and phv are actually quite large when you include all the required dependencies (at least large for just getting a faster brower when you already have a perfectly good one).
So far I choose firefox at the expense of a little wait time, maybe I'll change my mind after I have ran into too many slow computers :D

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: When replacing Mozilla with Firefox, attend to pinstall.

#6 Post by Flash »

papaschtroumpf wrote:I built from Unleashed and removed mozilla and added firefox.
<snip>
How did you remove Mozilla? An inquiring mind demands to know. :)