Lucid 525 lite + experimental Lucid lite 2.6.38.4 - v004

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
majorfoo

#21 Post by majorfoo »

stu90 wrote:Maybe try adding you application and setting reboot create a save file them try the remastering.
will give this a try and report back later today - thanks for your help

majorfoo

#22 Post by majorfoo »

stu90 wrote:Maybe try adding you application and setting reboot create a save file them try the remastering.
created save file - rebooted - installed my stuff saved and rebooted again - then remastered

still have same problems in 525-lite

tried same experiment in lucid 525 final, booted live cd, added my stuff remastered and on reboot did not have message about improper shutdown but did have personalize settings screen again

if i can get rid of these annoying features, will be happy camper

yordanj94

remaster cd

#23 Post by yordanj94 »

Hi.
I had the same problem.Shinobar helped me to solve it .

yordanj94 wrote:
When i remaster CD i copy all from my root and etc folders, but after when i boot from remastered CD always Puppy starts with massage about no correct shutdown.

You can copy all the files in /etc and /root, but remove the hidden file '/etc/.XLOADED'.

Hope this help.
Yordan

stu90

#24 Post by stu90 »

thanks yordanj94

this does indeed work to remove the improper shut down message. 8)

Not sure what is causing the personalized settings to run, i did notice the default entries had changed to my personal configurations - i will ask over in the official lucid 525 thread.

majorfoo

#25 Post by majorfoo »

stu90 wrote:thanks yordanj94

this does indeed work to remove the improper shut down message. 8)

Not sure what is causing the personalized settings to run, i did notice the default entries had changed to my personal configurations - i will ask over in the official lucid 525 thread.
remastered again and improper shut down message is gone.
thanks for tip on this

will tackle personalized settings next

looking good

scsijon

#26 Post by scsijon »

As I promised stu to upload a link to my apps.sfs, but be aware it's part of an alpha build for puppy58 and will overload any duplicates already left in 525lite.

http://www.lamiaworks.com.au/puppy/sfs/apps_529.sfs

and contains:

asunder-1.9.3-i486.pet
axel-1.0a.pet
bcrypt-1.1.pet
cgtkcalc-2.1.9.pet
cire-0.14.0-i486.pet
ctorrent-dnh3.3.pet
didiwiki-0.8-p4.pet
dillo_lucid52-0.pet
draftsight_beta_520.sfs
e3_utf8-2.8.pet
EudoraOSE-V1-lucid.pet
FileZilla-3.3.3-Lucid.pet
Firefox-3.6.13-Lucid.pet
Flashplayer-10.2.152.27-Lucid52.pet
fpm2-0.75-pup4.pet
gcalctool_lucid52-0.pet
gcolor2-0.4.pet
gdmap-0.8.0.pet
gfnrename-0.5.pet
glipper-0.89-1.pet
gmeasures-0.7.pet
gnome-mplayer_lucid52-0.pet
Gnu_Backgammon-1.0-Lucid.pet
gpptp-0.1.0.pet
gwhere-0.2.3-1.pet
inkscapelite-0.36.3-no_gnomeprint-q1.pet
luvcview_L1-0.2.6-1-Lucid.pet
mhwaveedit-1.4.16-q1.pet
midori-0.2.4-Lucid.pet
midori-cups_lucid52-0.pet
mp-3.2.13-q1.pet
mplayer_lucid52-0.pet
mtpaint_lucid52-0.pet
mtr-0.72.pet
netpbm-10.34-2-pup4.pet
nicoedit-2.5.3.pet
notecase-1.9.8-no_gtksourceview-1-q1.pet
osmo-0.2.10-1-q1.pet
pbackup-3.1.8.pet
pburn-3.3.3.pet
pcd-1.5.pet
pcdripper-3.7.pet
pdvdrsab-0.1.pet
picpuz-12.pet
pictureviewer-0.3.1-1-pup4.pet
pidgin-2.7.10-i486-520.pet
pmetatagger-2.1.pet
pmirror-0.4.pet
PMirrorget-0.2-dpup.pet
pmusic-1.6.3.pet
pmusic_THEME_pmusic_original-2008.08.10.pet
pnethood-0.6.7.pet
pplog-1.1.2-2.pet
prename-0.7.pet
pschedule-1.0.pet
psip-0.12.pet
pstopwatch-0.6.pet
ptimer-0.2.pet
puppy-podcast-grabber-1.1.pet
pupradio-0.6.pet
pure_ftpd-1.0.22-2.pet
pwsget-0.1.pet
rubix-1.03.pet
samba_client-3.0.37.pet
scrot-0.8-11.pet
searchmonkey-0.8.1-dpup.pet
sfs-converter-1.3.2-1.pet
siag-3.5.5-lucid52.pet
ssh_gui-0.7.1-pup1.pet
superscan-0.8-pup1.pet
synclient-0.14.6.pet
tile-20000117.pet
uget-1.4.8.5-1-pup4.pet
valide-194-uj.pet
xarchive-0.2.8-7-p4.pet
xdelta-3.0v.pet
xemeraldia-0.4.3-pup4.pet
xfdiff-cut-4.5.0.pet
XineDVD-1.29-Lucid.pet
xinvaders-3d-lupu.pet
xmahjongg-3.7-i486-squeeze.pet
xsane-0.997-patched-q1.pet

I shall monitor and help with problems if I can.

have fun

scsijon

moonskin

#27 Post by moonskin »

This is a really nice piece of work. I have added some apps and scripts for my particular (turnkey) system and remastered using the standard system.

The problem I now have is probably something obvious...

When I boot with the original CD , it boots straight into the desktop. When I use my remastered CD, it goes to the wizard to probe the video hardware. Same machine, no hdd or usb attached.

Is there something I have missed that I need to copy across during remastering?

Because this system sets itself up via a script to open up the apps it needs and finally start a virtual organ that takes up the whole screen, I would like the user not to have to go through the probe process. In fact, the aim is to have the system. kbd and mouse hidden in the organ console with only the power switch accessible.

(I would also like to remove the personalise settings as it is not needed - but that is a task that can wait.)

Thanks
Graham

nancy reagan

Can Google Earth 6 be insstalled ?

#28 Post by nancy reagan »

As there is a linux version voor GE6

http://www.google.com/earth/download/ge/agree.html

now, was wondering whether

a. can it be installed in this lupu lite ? and, if so

b. HOW ?

stu90

#29 Post by stu90 »

scsijon wrote:As I promised stu to upload a link to my apps.sfs, but be aware it's part of an alpha build for puppy58 and will overload any duplicates already left in 525lite.

http://www.lamiaworks.com.au/puppy/sfs/apps_529.sfs

have fun

scsijon
Hi scsijon - i will download and test tonight. 8)

cheers

stu90

#30 Post by stu90 »

moonskin wrote:This is a really nice piece of work. I have added some apps and scripts for my particular (turnkey) system and remastered using the standard system.

The problem I now have is probably something obvious...

When I boot with the original CD , it boots straight into the desktop. When I use my remastered CD, it goes to the wizard to probe the video hardware. Same machine, no hdd or usb attached.

Is there something I have missed that I need to copy across during remastering?

Because this system sets itself up via a script to open up the apps it needs and finally start a virtual organ that takes up the whole screen, I would like the user not to have to go through the probe process. In fact, the aim is to have the system. kbd and mouse hidden in the organ console with only the power switch accessible.

(I would also like to remove the personalise settings as it is not needed - but that is a task that can wait.)

Thanks
Graham
Hi moonskin,
Are you copying the /root and /etc directories during the remaster process ? You also need to delete the hidden /etc/.XLOADED file when you copy the /etc directory to /tmp

As for the personalized setting - im not sure how to stop that, i posted regarding this issue in the official lucid puppy thread.

Another option might be to try woofy to remaster
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57037

Dont use the icon and theme setter as it dosn;t work so well but installing .pets work and for you scripts select to manually edit and just copy them over before the .sfs is created.
cheers.

stu90

Re: Can Google Earth 6 be insstalled ?

#31 Post by stu90 »

nancy reagan wrote:As there is a linux version voor GE6

http://www.google.com/earth/download/ge/agree.html

now, was wondering whether

a. can it be installed in this lupu lite ? and, if so

b. HOW ?
Yes google earth can be installed on lucid lite, from what i understand it requires the accelerated graphics driver - i am not sure which version of GE is available for official lucid puppy? but that should work on lucid lite as well.

either way i have made an .sfs of google-earth-6.0.2.2074 and will upload it tonight when i have more Internet bandwidth along with XBMC-10.1 .sfs

nooby

#32 Post by nooby »

scsijon, I have prepared a lupu525lite to be used as Seaside described.

He makes an sfs out of his minimal pupsave that contain the personal preferences but not many apps. Most likely only those he see as necessary. Maybe Geany or such.

So your sfs that comes in handy as a sfs to use when one need one of those many pets you included.

Does that mean that after shutting down that sfs then I can boot back up in the minimal lupu525lite again and none of it remains. Seems logical to me.

But maybe some of the pets save things on mnt/home? Or do they ask such first?

AFAIK the OS itself or a particular program seems to place a file on the mnt/home to use in case it is needed later?

I have one now that I guess Lupu has placed there

A Dir named l5211103.283 on mnt/home only sfs files in it

Lupu 521 instead of 525 and 11 could be 2011 and 03 is Mars so it has been there many days and I saw it yesterday. I remember vaguely that somebody explained it had to do with shutting down the sfs boot manager without saving later?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

nooby

#33 Post by nooby »

Can Chromium12.sfs be made for another kernel or another puppy?

Firefox.sfs worked and Opera.sfs worked but Chromium12.sfs nothing does happen at all. Does it need some kind of extra lib things it expect to be in same directory? I tested this on lupu525lite and will test again today.

chromium12.0.703.0-77939w5.sfs

should I renamed it to chromium12.sfs and then maybe it loads?
opera-11.10-2048.i386opt.sfs is named that way and start intantly.

What could be wrong. I trust that I used Chromium in one Lupu and that it worked but had problems with flash being to old or something.

Terryphi

#34 Post by Terryphi »

nooby wrote:Can Chromium12.sfs be made for another kernel or another puppy?

Firefox.sfs worked and Opera.sfs worked but Chromium12.sfs nothing does happen at all. Does it need some kind of extra lib things it expect to be in same directory? I tested this on lupu525lite and will test again today.

What could be wrong. I trust that I used Chromium in one Lupu and that it worked but had problems with flash being to old or something.
Chromium 12 requires various libraries. My SFS was made for Wary 511 (but also works with Lucid Puppy 525 and Quirky 130) and assumes that the libraries it contains are present and then adds some others. I assume that lupu525lite has them removed. That is why it is called "lite" which is bad spelling for "broken" .

If you remove stuff from a Puppy version you cannot expect programs created for that version to work.

nooby

#35 Post by nooby »

Terryphi I do apology for not remembering it was you doing the sfs.

But I do remember you helped me with another browser. Very kind of you.

Ah okay then I start with full Lupu525 instead of Lupu525lite until that one have the needed things for using sfs the way I want.

Very good that you told me

nancy reagan

Re: Can Google Earth 6 be insstalled ?

#36 Post by nancy reagan »

stu90 wrote: Yes google earth can be installed on lucid lite, from what i understand it requires the accelerated graphics driver - i am not sure which version of GE is available for official lucid puppy? but that should work on lucid lite as well.

either way i have made an .sfs of google-earth-6.0.2.2074 and will upload it tonight when i have more Internet bandwidth along with XBMC-10.1 .sfs
Woww, thanks, really looking forward.

stu90

#37 Post by stu90 »

Terryphi wrote:
nooby wrote:Can Chromium12.sfs be made for another kernel or another puppy?

Chromium 12 requires various libraries. My SFS was made for Wary 511 (but also works with Lucid Puppy 525 and Quirky 130) and assumes that the libraries it contains are present and then adds some others. I assume that lupu525lite has them removed. That is why it is called "lite" which is bad spelling for "broken" .

If you remove stuff from a Puppy version you cannot expect programs created for that version to work.
wait what, because the chromium .pet you made doesn't work that means lucid lite is broken ?

Is your second statement also regarding lucid lite?
if so could you please list which lucid puppy programs you have found that don't work in lucid lite and i will try my best to get them to work.

Perfection lucid lite aint and a developer i am not - my aim is to learn, share, experiment, help if i can and have fun - if people think lucid lite is broken, has to many bugs or is a pos they can move on to some other puplet or derivative as their is always plenty of choice in the puppyverse - if others wants to offer constructive criticisms or are having problems then i will try my best to help. :?

stu90

#38 Post by stu90 »

nooby wrote:Terryphi I do apology for not remembering it was you doing the sfs.

But I do remember you helped me with another browser. Very kind of you.

Ah okay then I start with full Lupu525 instead of Lupu525lite until that one have the needed things for using sfs the way I want.

Very good that you told me
Hi Nooby if you install this small .pet Terryphi chromium browser .sfs should work.

Lucid lite had no flash or media player installed so if you want to watch streaming videos you will need to download flash from lucid puppy repository in puppy package manager.
flashplayer-10.2.153-lucid.pet is the most recent version in there.
Attachments
libcups2.pet
(129 KiB) Downloaded 582 times

stu90

Re: Lucid 525 - lite

#39 Post by stu90 »

nancy reagan wrote: Woww, thanks, really looking forward.
hello nancy reagan.
google earth .sfs is in the first post if you want to test it.

cheers.

nooby

#40 Post by nooby »

Thanks Stu

Re google earth as I remember but have not tried it needs some Acceleration of graphics. Maybe not every computer have that graphic CPU?

I read this somewhere here in the forum.

Just now I am experimenting to get full Lupu525 to do the SFS thing as Seaside described.

So I test to do your lite later. That is logical. To start with something that is not altered in any way.

Re using Seaside's approach to SFS

I failed yesterday due to me had outsourced FF to the HDD using mnt/home but that may fail due to needed infrastructure will be missing when I do the dir2sfs.

So I start all over today with lupu525 and wait with lite.

Edit it failed today too so it seems to ahve not hing to do with lite or full.
Last edited by nooby on Fri 08 Apr 2011, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.