How to do a One-Click Installation of Puppy

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
rjbrewer

#61 Post by rjbrewer »

Diggs wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote: Read here to see the whole procedure. Those instructions also say to NOT make a pupsave file.
Heh - Did you read your own link? How is that in any way, shape, or form a one-click full install. That is a nightmare to the novice. Every major distro (especially those that profess ease of use) have a one click installer. Don't know why that has happened here especially with so many open source models available for examination. I'm not even sure how a novice that drops in the Puppy ISO and clicks "Install" would know to have a swap partition.

The Puppy Install is one of the major areas needing improvement for this distro to be truly user friendly and it hasn't changed in the last several years that I can tell.
This video guide to "full" install gets it right.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 782#201565

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

rcrsn51

#62 Post by rcrsn51 »

Diggs wrote:Heh - Did you read your own link? How is that in any way, shape, or form a one-click full install.
I never claimed it was. In fact, if you read my instructions at the start of this thread, you will see that I recommend a FRUGAL install for beginners.

If you have complaints about the Universal Installer or the shut down dialog, you should direct them to a Bugs thread or to BarryK's blog. If you have particular problems with the operation of this One-Click Installer, I will be happy to discuss them.

BTW, have you actually tried a frugal install with this tool?

Diggs

#63 Post by Diggs »

rjbrewer wrote: This video guide to "full" install gets it right.

A name and password protected video? I can't really say that helps the average user do an install.

Everyone keeps pointing me at these tutorials on how to do a full install. No one seems to understand the point being made about the current install routine for Puppy. Users cannot take the ISO, put it into an old computer and click "Install". Add their name, time and language and 10 minutes later pull out the CD and enjoy their new Puppy.

rjbrewer

#64 Post by rjbrewer »

Diggs wrote:

A name and password protected video? I can't really say that helps the average user do an install.

Everyone keeps pointing me at these tutorials on how to do a full install. No one seems to understand the point being made about the current install routine for Puppy. Users cannot take the ISO, put it into an old computer and click "Install". Add their name, time and language and 10 minutes later pull out the CD and enjoy their new Puppy.
No download necessary.
Did you try scrolling down the page and looking at the images.
Only takes about 10-15 minutes to do the install.

Full installs

Diggs

#65 Post by Diggs »

rjbrewer wrote:
Diggs wrote:

No download necessary.
Did you try scrolling down the page and looking at the images.
Only takes about 10-15 minutes to do the install.
I'm sorry, and I do not mean to be rude. But is everyone so far past the install routine in these forums that they have no idea how deficient it is and what I am saying? Has no one installed another OS lately? EVERY major distro can do a one-click install.

I apologize for my frustration. I'll move on now.

Gander22h

#66 Post by Gander22h »

rcrsn51: I have been using your one-click script to do installations of Puppy since 4.3.1 and it has worked flawlessly, but I just tried it on 5.2.5 and it didn't work. It kept producing errors saying it couldn't find the CD. I then successfully did an installation of 5.2.0 using it, so it wasn't the hardware. There seems to be an incompatibility between Puppy 5.2.5 and the script.

rcrsn51

#67 Post by rcrsn51 »

You're right! The installer uses the probedisk command to identify the CD-ROM drive. In all previous versions, the drive was called "cdrom". In Lupu 525, it's now called "optical".

I guess an update is in order. Thanks.

Could you please test this version for me?
Attachments
one-click-installer.tar.gz
(1.85 KiB) Downloaded 648 times

Gander22h

#68 Post by Gander22h »

Thank you for such a quick response!

Yes indeed that works perfectly now and I am pleased to report that I am writing this from a full-installation of Puppy 5.2.5!

One question: with this change to the script does that mean that the earlier version would still be needed to install earlier versions of Puppy than 5.2.5?

rcrsn51

#69 Post by rcrsn51 »

Gander22h wrote:One question: with this change to the script does that mean that the earlier version would still be needed to install earlier versions of Puppy than 5.2.5?
No. I have modified the script so it works with all versions. However, could you do a test for me with an older Puppy, just to be sure? I did a quick simulated test and it looks OK.

Gander22h

#70 Post by Gander22h »

I just used the newest version of the script to do a full installation of Puppy 5.2.0, which I happened to have a CD for on hand. I am pleased to report that the installation worked just fine, no problems! Thank you for fixing it!

rcrsn51

#71 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent. Thank you for the testing. I will post the new version at the start of the thread.

Gander22h

#72 Post by Gander22h »

That would be super. Perhaps you can add a note to indicate that it works on 5.2.5 and earlier now?

Foxyfrank

menu.lst problem

#73 Post by Foxyfrank »

I wish I had seen this subject before I wiped the HD on an old HP and tried to install Puppy 421 alone. It ALMOST works. It looks like the entries in MY menu.lst are wrong. When I boot the Hp I get a nice puppy logo screen, but at the bottom is the following:

Boot Options pmedia=atahd=puppy421nosmp

hitting "enter" I get a black screen with the following text:

root noverify (hd 0,0)

Error 11 unrecognized device string
press any key to continue

pressing any key gives me GNU GRUB with more confusing choices and
on & on.

Why can't someone clear up the mystery of writing the menu.lst file?
What'n'ell does "rootnoverify (hd 0,0)" MEAN? What does it do??
Why is it an "unrecognized device string" which I copied from someone else's help files? What do all the other typical menu.lst commands MEAN and/or do???

Frank

James C

Re: menu.lst problem

#74 Post by James C »

Foxyfrank wrote:I wish I had seen this subject before I wiped the HD on an old HP and tried to install Puppy 421 alone. It ALMOST works. It looks like the entries in MY menu.lst are wrong. When I boot the Hp I get a nice puppy logo screen, but at the bottom is the following:

Boot Options pmedia=atahd=puppy421nosmp

hitting "enter" I get a black screen with the following text:

root noverify (hd 0,0)

press any key to continue

pressing any key gives me GNU GRUB with more confusing choices and
on & on.

What'n'ell does "rootnoverify (hd 0,0)" MEAN? What does it do??
Why is it an "unrecognized device string" which I copied from someone else's help files? What do all the other typical menu.lst commands MEAN and/or do???

Frank
Here's a couple of sample entries from my menu lst .......one frugal and one full install.Regular Grub.

title Puppy Linux Lucid 525 frugal in sda2
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
kernel /puppy525/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=puppy525 acpi=force
initrd /puppy525/initrd.gz

title Puppy Linux 432 full install in sda5
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda5 pmedia=atahd acpi=force

The frugal install is in a folder/directory "puppy525".........just change the versions and partitions to fit your situation.

rcrsn51

Re: menu.lst problem

#75 Post by rcrsn51 »

Foxyfrank wrote:root noverify (hd 0,0)
You have some extra spaces. It should be

Code: Select all

rootnoverify (hd0,0)
There is no mystery. The GRUB bootloader uses a very specific syntax and you need to honour it. The whole point of the one-click installer is that it gets you a basic Puppy installation without having to worry about GRUB.

If you are looking for a tutorial on how GRUB works, you should start a new thread.

Foxyfrank

menu.lst entries

#76 Post by Foxyfrank »

Ok. I well understand that there is a difference between 'root noverify" and "rootnoverify". Looking back I find that I copied that from somebody else that probably didn't know any more about it than I do.
I understand that the "root" command points to where the root is, but what does noverify mean/do?
I understand that kernel points to where the vmlinuz is, but what does pmedia=atahdpsubdir=puppy421nosmp mean/do? Why should I have it there or not have it there?
To me it IS a mystery.
As I said in the beginning, if I had found THIS subject on this list I could have used the system which avoided all of the glitches - probably only to encounter others.

Frank

rjbrewer

Re: menu.lst entries

#77 Post by rjbrewer »

Foxyfrank wrote:Ok. I well understand that there is a difference between 'root noverify" and "rootnoverify". Looking back I find that I copied that from somebody else that probably didn't know any more about it than I do.
I understand that the "root" command points to where the root is, but what does noverify mean/do?
I understand that kernel points to where the vmlinuz is, but what does pmedia=atahdpsubdir=puppy421nosmp mean/do? Why should I have it there or not have it there?
To me it IS a mystery.
As I said in the beginning, if I had found THIS subject on this list I could have used the system which avoided all of the glitches - probably only to encounter others.

Frank
Grub basics;

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/4622?page=0,0

Full installs

8-bit

#78 Post by 8-bit »

rcrsn51,
I have to give you a big thanks in making the one-click install script.
I recently was trying to install Puppy 2.16 on an ancient computer as a full install.
I used the universal installer, selected full install, and this was after using Gparted to delete the old fat32 partition, creating an ext2 partition and setting the boot flag.
The install seemed to go ok, and I did not touch grub at all.
But when I tried rebooting, it failed.
I then went back assuming I would have to install Grub.
I did that and then grub complained about not finding /boot/grub/vmlinuz.
When I booted from CD again, I mounted the drive and sure enough, vmlinuz was missing.

I was about to pull my remaining hair out when I found your script.
Also, I should mention that in all the time I have used Puppy, I had never done a full install.
So thank you again for a great install script! :) :) :D

jola66

cd install

#79 Post by jola66 »

Thanks for the info, your advice, as well as others helped me full-install 5.3.1, which is great, cause now i get other challenges.

Like a connection but browser won't take hold, says connection failed, damn!

Thanks to you & the community for all the help/advice. I'll be needing more. -jola66

OG1958

Not reading USB sticck

#80 Post by OG1958 »

I have tried both methods but Puppy will not read my USB drive. I hate to give up but I am still lost. When I did my installs or attempted them I got a message that no CD was in CD drive. I have two optical drives-one cd/dvd writeable and one combo blue ray/cd/dvd read only.
So I decided to try to make a USB drive with Puppy on it. The USB drive was formatted to FAT32 and it did not work. I tried to format it to FAT16 and that did not work either. As I mentioned before Puppy needs to be set up to install just like any other Ubuntu based distro.
I hate to say it but I am getting frustrated.