bring back puppy 431.

Using applications, configuring, problems
HiDeHo

bring back puppy 431.

#1 Post by HiDeHo »

i love where puppy linux has gone. now that lupu has its own pets and wary is on the move its great.

but i think that there also needs to be an os more like 431 that was a great os for new and old computers alike. it was the best for usb in that respect.

having the newer apps for 431 or directly continuing on from 431 providing great cross platform support. either way would be good.

it would help to have a version of puppy like this. even 431 itself could still be used and update a handy features from newer pups such as the pet get, quickpet, and again the latest updates for the apps.

also i do still think that the current 431 pet offical archive. needs to be added the other 431 pet updates that are around atm that are now hiding in the forums. lost and forgotten.

Edit. I have been rethinking things. after testing wary puppy it si a great version and more like 431 in many ways. maybe if wary was ported to have a wider variety of kernels like 431 then you can do a wary classic. this would not be taking away from any one who has started another version or 431 s i originally intended.
Last edited by HiDeHo on Fri 06 May 2011, 09:41, edited 1 time in total.

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

having the newer apps for 431
A lot of newer apps require a newer gdk or even a newer gtk.

There are also a couple of versions of Puppy that are based on even older versions (e.g. 2.14) but with updates. I'm not sure if they're still being updated, but have you checked them out?
and wary is on the move its great.
What advantages does 431 have over Wary?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

HiDeHo

#3 Post by HiDeHo »

disciple good points.

first it is a good idea to update the things needed in 431 or as i said make a new pup that can run on more computers new and old like 431

2nd as 431 runs on more computers wary woill not run on newer ones so thats my point

sickgut

431 ftw

#4 Post by sickgut »

hi Hideho

There are many reasons to use an older series 4 puppy and upgrade it so you can run new stuff rather than upgrading to the latest puppy version all the time when it comes out so your updated. One reason is that unless you have a brand new computer, you will probably find that older linux kernels are faster and less problematic.

Puppy 431 is an excellent base for a decent distro as Jemimah has proven with her hugely popular Puppeee and Fluppy as these are based on 431. The older 4 series seemed to be put together with more care than the later 5 series that is automated by using wolf to grab and compile packages and then tweaked and bugfixed and released.

Upgrading a series 4 puppy to new hights of coolness and that is more updated than the lastest released mainstream Puppy distro is a straight forward and rewarding experience. I personally have gathered together a decent repo of puppy 4.2 upgrades at:

http://www.thepussycatforest.info/linux ... -upgrades/

Altho i have not tested these upgrades on a 431 system they may very well work if installed one bit at a time and checked. If you would like to upgrade a 431 Puppy yourself and release it then contact me when youre done as i would like to mirror such a Puppy on my website to help promote it and so people can download it.

Here is what i have done to upgrade Puppy 4.2, you may find that the very same things will work on 431:

Upgrade your glibc version, this is the main thing that will let you run new stuff. This is the package i recommend is:
http://www.thepussycatforest.info/linux ... 0_i386.deb

Upgrade the web browser, the linux 32bit static install of Seamonkey 2.0.13 from the seamonkey site installs nicely and only needs a couple of extra deps/ libs. Run the seamonkey executable in a terminal and take note of the error spam, it will let you know what files are missing. You can grab these files by copy and pasting the name of them into the search engine at http://packages.debian.org . The site will let you know what .deb packages are available that contain the files you need. Download and install them.
If you are running a Puppy version that cannot install .deb packages natively then download this .pet package at:

http://www.thepussycatforest.info/linux ... .14.20.pet

Also make a link in /usr/bin to your seamonkey executable and name the link seamonkey, you may also find that adding the same link under the names of: mozilla, defaultbrowser, www-browser will make it so that other programs can call upon and execute your newly installed browser, no matter what terminal they are running in or what dir they are installed in.

This method of downloading the new software you want from the vendors site directly and installing a static binary package and then tracking down the libs and other files it needs to run is the best way to upgrade your Puppy. Other stuff you will need to upgrade is the GTK version, sdl and openal (for games) and also add mplayer and the w32codecs and ffmpeg packages so that you can play all the latest formats of videos and music files you download from the internet. And thats pretty much the basic stuff taken care of so then you can start just adding whatever you personally would like on your Puppy.

WARNING: once you start down this path of upgrading core stuff then you can no longer use the usual .pet packages for youre Puppy version. If you start installing them then your new file versions will be overwritten with old stuff and it will break your new OS. This means your best method of installing new programs is to download the linux binaries direct from the software vendor. ie: googleearth from the googleearth site, skype from the skype site, assaultcube from the assaultcube site, openarena from the openarena site... etc. If there is a static version of the program you want then use that coz it will only install stuff in one dir and if you need to remove it then its a really easy and clean affair to just delete the directory. If there isnt a decent static package available for the program you wanna install then try the packages.debian.org site . The .deb files can be taken apart in xarchiver or whatever zip program you use and you can remove alot of junk from them and learn more about their make up etc. Also the debian site lists all the dependencies of the program you wanna install so thats makes it easier too.

Well thats about all you need to know to start pimping out your 431.
Over and out

Sickgut

HiDeHo

#5 Post by HiDeHo »

wow thanks Sickgut.

just a quick thing for the pimped out 431 could specific .pets be made for it with all the stuff needed such like any other puppy. to make things easier for users to install things themselves. Have you ever tried doing that yourself. i see general .pet packages break the os alot. i just wnat an os where others can easily do things i am not into lenghty processes adn things taking tiem i get bogged down adn to focuesd on it bit i would like to give it a try

sickgut

pimped pets for pimped OS

#6 Post by sickgut »

hi hideho

yeah ofc you can release custom .pets for your custom 431 puppy. i would sugget calling your puppy something else to avoid confusion so people dont try the old pets for 431 on your new OS or your new .pets on their old unpimped 431

As mentioned in my previous reply to your post, jemimah based her puppeee/ fluppy on 431.
She has alot of .sfs packages available for her puppeee and fluppy, this is an example of someone releasing packages for a pimped out 431. If your taking an old puppy and releasing an updated version and then making more releases in the future of the same puppy but updated even more your basicly forking development, and maybe others will be interested in helping you. If you took on such an endevour ill help out by providing hosting for you. You also may very well want to add different package management ot her than the puppy .pet system, its all up to you. The linux OS world is your oyster.

Have fun
Sickgut

Moose On The Loose

Re: bring back puppy 431.

#7 Post by Moose On The Loose »

HiDeHo wrote:i love where puppy linux has gone. now that lupu has its own pets and wary is on the move its great.

but i think that there also needs to be an os more like 431 that was a great os for new and old computers alike. it was the best for usb in that respect.
On the other hand, since puppy 4.31 does 100% of everything that needs to be done, there isn't a lot of motivation to add things to it. It has made it well into the "it isn't broke" status.

When thinking about what to add to it, be careful not to break any of the things it already has going for it. There are a few things that you may really want to do and publish *.pets for. I suggest:

USB Harddrive "full" install:
The idea here is to put the files on a USB hard drive in a noncompressed manner. This would allow you to run on a machine that is short on RAM, has no hard disk but can take and external USB.

A better version of remastering:
The remastering process often runs into trouble because the /tmp directory is part of the file system in memory. When you make a really huge bunch of files in there, things can just run out of room. It also won't work on a full install. Both would be nice things to find ways around.

ravensrest

#8 Post by ravensrest »

I can only second this notion with a personal opinion. Although I have both Lupu and Wary on my machine (also PC Linux, Fedora, and SuSe), after weeks of experimenting, I have switched the default operating system back to Puppy 431 because it does more things the way I prefer them done and more reliably than either Wary or Lupu. The only thing I find it lacking is the most recent Seamonkey.
BS

HiDeHo

#9 Post by HiDeHo »

I still prefer firefox over seamonkey mainly because it does more adn is installed on all my other os i have (linux mint, Vista, various puppies, linux mint debian edition) it works great for me on my 431 os i have also installed an older version of firefox called bonecho this is firefox

sickgut

#10 Post by sickgut »

ravensrest wrote:I can only second this notion with a personal opinion. Although I have both Lupu and Wary on my machine (also PC Linux, Fedora, and SuSe), after weeks of experimenting, I have switched the default operating system back to Puppy 431 because it does more things the way I prefer them done and more reliably than either Wary or Lupu. The only thing I find it lacking is the most recent Seamonkey.
BS
Hi ravensrest
couldnt help noticing what you said about the latest Seamonky being missing from 431 etc, just letting you know that i have a Seamonkey 2.0.12 package for 431 on my site:

http://www.thepussycatforest.info/linux ... uppy42.zip

just unzip and read the README.txt and follow instructions. its a static install so you can remove it just by deleting the directory also the browser version updates work fine as well so when you install it you will always have an updated browser.

Hope this helps
sickgut

HiDeHo

puppy 431 pet archivs

#11 Post by HiDeHo »

deleted duplicate post
Last edited by HiDeHo on Mon 04 Apr 2011, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.

HiDeHo

puppy 431 pet archivs

#12 Post by HiDeHo »

Also this may sound a bit pointless but could all the pets around for puppy 431 be put in one place for easily access. if not the original 431 Package manager then at least the place where all the other pets are stored.

BIgmikle has a lot of them on his site here. http://brainwavedesigncentral.net/mike/ (there are also newer ones that don't work on old 431) He also put this together. http://brainwavedesigncentral.net/mike/ ... ebget.html and the link to the puppy 4 apps here ftp://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/puppy ... ackages-4/ is by no means complete

Others do have there own sites to with old 431 apps. with the advancement of puppy linux and all the newer versions the 431 stuff is hiding in the forums waiting to be found again.

it would be nice to just click on the 431 apps and see them all in one place for people who are still using it.

sickgut

im wlling to host a 431 pet archive

#13 Post by sickgut »

hi Hideho

If you can track down the urls where all the 431 apps are ill see what i can do about mirroring them on a special 431 section of my http://www.thepussycatforest.info

i currently have 10gb spare on my server and im willing to use say 4 or 5gb for this im sure it would be enough

puppy 4 series is the future!

Dewbie

#14 Post by Dewbie »

I've used 4.3.1 exclusively since starting with Puppy almost a year ago, and have often read forum posts about someone trying another Puppy, then going back to 4.3.1 because it just works. It's also the only older Puppy with a choice of three different kernels.

However, 4.3.1 has a couple of bugs that one must adapt to:
*On some machines, updating the bundled SeaMonkey 1.1.18 to a later version breaks PuppyBrowser. The easiest work-around is to install Firefox, or another alternate browser.
*ALSA Sound Wizard tends to crash, so it often must be run before viewing videos or listening to mp3 files.

Here's a repo of .pets that should work with 4.3.1:
http://brainwavedesigncentral.net/wolf/
Last edited by Dewbie on Tue 21 Jun 2011, 09:28, edited 2 times in total.

l2ulinux

Is Puppy 431 Dead

#15 Post by l2ulinux »

I to would love to see a NEW release of Puppy 431. I love to use the 431 version myself over the newer releases. I posted once before was Puppy 431 dead.
Please if you are someone else does do it. Please let me know.

Dingo

#16 Post by Dingo »

Now, as you can see, I'm heavily compiling new apps for Puppy 3.01 series (when possible, statically, so any puppy series can benefit of these binaries), unfortunately, on my new refurbished machine, HP d530 c, wireless is not working (the same wireless adapter NETGEAR WG311v3, works fine in Puppy 3.01 and 4.2.1 via ndiswrapper), I would be happy to support 4.3.1, if I'll able to solve wireless problem
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

don922

#17 Post by don922 »

What am I missing? In this thread, about bringing back Puppy 4.31, everyone is ignoring Puppy 4.3.2-SCSI 2.6.30.5 full older modem support. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 886#451886

There was a Puppy 4.32 project, but ttuuxxx replaced it with Puppy 4.3.2-SCSI 2.6.30.5 full older modem support.

Am I misunderstanding something? It seems to me that this thread is rumbling along without knowing all the facts!
[color=green][i]Don -- Thailand[/i][/color]
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://tinypic.com/4e0tojl.jpg[/img][/url]

Dewbie

#18 Post by Dewbie »

don922 wrote:
Am I misunderstanding something? It seems to me that this thread is rumbling along without knowing all the facts!
I was going to mention 4.3.2 earlier in this thread, but then remembered sending a recent pm to ttuuxxx in which he replied that it was strictly a bugfix version, and that he's no longer supporting it.

tlchost

#19 Post by tlchost »

Dewbie wrote: it was strictly a bugfix version, and that he's no longer supporting it.
Yet another piece of abandonware. Amazing how we turn our backs upon things that work.

efiguy

bring back puppy 431.

#20 Post by efiguy »

Hi,

- There was a really swell "exe" version of 431 2.6.30.5, which was loaned and lost, and can't seem to find again because of hosting link failures. This was so easy for the windoze users as it installed directly and so cleanly. Wasn't (431) this also the version that "Pizzasgood" made real multi-user?

- As to someone modifing 431, would like to ask for a "don't load sfs to memory" switch. There is a forum link like "initrd-noram", but i've been unable to implement the suggestions <:( Duh

- I really respect the newer versions being made, because people with Vista and Win7 have become aware of choices - and want to try Puppy and only have recent hardware.
- But as this link points out, it would seem that much of my older hardware was made so well that it is not going to die soon, and 431 versions really never offer a problem, and there is a scuzi drive on one cabinet.
Live Long and Prosper - older Puppy's ;)

Have a good day
jay