PupServer-435

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rcrsn51

#21 Post by rcrsn51 »

The beauty of the Puppy live CD and frugal install is that you can try various combinations until you find one that fits your needs.

For example, take a machine that has wifi capability, find a Puppy with the right driver and install samba-tng-rcrsn. In a few minutes, you've got a wireless file/print server on your network!

paule

#22 Post by paule »

Thanks for this, it looks really promising. I am currently using your distro on one of the computers in my network, and can access it from other computers using puppy, but so far am unable to get my Fedora 11 box to be able to connect. When I try to connect to the pupserver as a Windows network, I get asked for a domain name and password, and so far I don't seem to be able to get the right combination. Where in pupserver can I specify the domain name etc?

Thanks in advance.

cheers, Paul

jrb

#23 Post by jrb »

paule wrote:Thanks for this, it looks really promising. I am currently using your distro on one of the computers in my network, and can access it from other computers using puppy, but so far am unable to get my Fedora 11 box to be able to connect. When I try to connect to the pupserver as a Windows network, I get asked for a domain name and password, and so far I don't seem to be able to get the right combination. Where in pupserver can I specify the domain name etc?

Thanks in advance.

cheers, Paul
I'm not a neworking expert but here goes:

smb.conf is the configuration file. In PupServer435 it is located at /etc/opt/samba/ and contains:

Code: Select all

# Global parameters
[global]
       workgroup = Workgroup
       netbios name = PupServer
       server string = Samba Server %v
       map to guest = Bad User
       log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
       max log size = 50
       socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
       preferred master = No
       local master = No
       dns proxy = No
       security = share

# Share
   [usr=root passwd=woofwoof]
   path = / 
   guest ok = Yes 
   writeable = Yes 
   force user = root
As you can see, Workgroup is the group name, root is the username and woofwoof is the password.

There are many articles on the web about setting up smb.conf. Here is an example of one set up in Fedora, http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/smb.conf

I hope that is of some help. J

paule

#24 Post by paule »

Thanks for this. I was looking in the wrong directory. I was looking in /etc/samba rather than /etc/opt/samba

I haven't figured out how to get the Fedora and Puppy boxes to talk to each other yet, but this will help.

Thanks again.

cheers, Paul

jamalexa

Automount USB HDD

#25 Post by jamalexa »

How do I set my usb 500gb hdd to automount when I start my server?

jamalexa

#26 Post by jamalexa »

Nevermind. I did a search and came across this topic: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61262. I copies the file set the permissions to run as a program and placed it in /root/Startup. Restarted the server and bam it works. I love Puppy and the forums.

gcmartin

#27 Post by gcmartin »

Just saw this today. Its a very, very good piece of work for the Puppy community. I don't know how I missed this.

You have the first built-in full function LAN machine via an ISO that can run as a LiveCD.

Congratulation.

gcmartin

#28 Post by gcmartin »

paule wrote:Thanks for this. I was looking in the wrong directory. I was looking in /etc/samba rather than /etc/opt/samba

I haven't figured out how to get the Fedora and Puppy boxes to talk to each other yet, but this will help.

Thanks again.

cheers, Paul
You have probably solved this by now, but Fedora has this already solved for you through the Desktop's File Manager utitility. Just click on Network and you should see your Puppy PC.

If not, see the first entry in this document for a sample smb.conf (SAMBA configuration) that will show up on any Windows or Fedora PCs you have on your LAN.

jrb

#29 Post by jrb »

gcmartin wrote:You have the first built-in full function LAN machine via an ISO that can run as a LiveCD.
Thanks GC,
My little pentium11 has been chugging away continuously now for 6 weeks flawlessly printing and sharing. I haven't even bothered to burn it to CDR still on CDRW. As they say, "If it ain't broke."

Cheers, J

cprivers

Starting Samba

#30 Post by cprivers »

I know I must be missing something simple, but after downloading & installing the samba-tng pet in this thread I can't figure out how to start Samba! In Puppy 5 I used /"etc/rc.d/rc.samba start" and in Ubuntu I use "/etc/init.d/samba start", but these files don't exist on my Puppy 431 setup. What is the command to start the server?

rcrsn51

#31 Post by rcrsn51 »

cprivers

#32 Post by cprivers »

Thanks for the link.

gcmartin

Re: Starting Samba

#33 Post by gcmartin »

cprivers wrote:I know I must be missing something simple, but after downloading & installing the samba-tng pet in this thread I can't figure out how to start Samba! In Puppy 5 I used /"etc/rc.d/rc.samba start" and in Ubuntu I use "/etc/init.d/samba start", but these files don't exist on my Puppy 431 setup. What is the command to start the server?
Just saw this post to this thread.

In the distros you mentioned, they use "FULL - Original" SAMBA. They use that one because of the very large support community that exist thruout the world when users have questions. (We have to pay for this support from Microsoft)

In the Puppy community, you have 3 ... NO, 4 ... NO, 5 options for using Puppy (a RAM based distro) to share its files, folders, printers, music, pictures, video with everyone else of your LAN without adding software to any LAN user. The Puppy Options are:
  1. Mobeus's PET or SFS ... either works (FULL Samba)
  2. Shinobar's SFS - (FULL Samba)
  3. Rcrsn51's SFS - (fork of Samba)
  4. JRB's Distro (this thread gives you that)
  5. Kirk's 64bit PET (FULL Samba) found here
You should choose which of these, available solutions, best meets your needs.

FULL SAMBA, as I use it here means that all of the SAMBA tools are present where you expect them once SAMBA is installed and running. These tools are VERY-VERY (to me) important in use and diagnosis of server's behavior.

P.S. Barry K makes a solution available also for Quirky 1.3. See his PPM for it.
Last edited by gcmartin on Thu 09 Dec 2010, 00:19, edited 1 time in total.

cprivers

#34 Post by cprivers »

Thanks GC.

Chuck
[i]It's always easy when you know how![/i]

gcmartin

Big PUP

#35 Post by gcmartin »

@JRB
I've got an idea. See your PM

p310don

#36 Post by p310don »

Hi,

Not sure if anyone can help me with this one. I have been using pupserver for a few months now, and its great for other computers in my home lan, but, for some reason, I can't mount any shares using the samba share mounter on my nokia n900.

I have been able to do this in the past with file sharing in Ubuntu, but am trying to be puppy only. I think this is the only thing I miss from Ubuntu. What is the difference between the samba in this, and the samba that ubuntu might use? Should I try shinobar's full sfs of samba as mentioned a few posts up? Might try that anyway.

Thanks

Paul

jrb

#37 Post by jrb »

p310don wrote:What is the difference between the samba in this, and the samba that ubuntu might use?
This is an older version of samba chosen for its smaller size. The newer version provided by Shinobar might do it. Let us know what you find out.

Cheers, J

irishrm

pupserver 435 printing.

#38 Post by irishrm »

I have installed pupserver and can access the hard-drive and work on the files. I have installed my printer with cups. However I haven't been able to figure out how to access it from a client. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks-irishrm

jrb

Re: pupserver 435 printing.

#39 Post by jrb »

irishrm wrote:I have installed pupserver and can access the hard-drive and work on the files. I have installed my printer with cups. However I haven't been able to figure out how to access it from a client. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks-irishrm
I booted pfix=ram (to make sure I hadn't done anything special to setup). Did all the usual keyboard, country, timezone, video, etc. Didn't do anything after X started (auto hookup of wired lan). Went to another computer running wary511 and used pnethood to access, user=root password=woofwoof, and then the same with lameexplorer. No problems.

Are you connected to network? Are you able to see your printer when you access CUPS on a client?
Attachments
pupserver_access2.jpg
left-pnethood right-lameexplorer
(48.23 KiB) Downloaded 1774 times

jrb

Re: pupserver 435 printing.

#40 Post by jrb »

irishrm wrote:I have installed pupserver and can access the hard-drive and work on the files. I have installed my printer with cups. However I haven't been able to figure out how to access it from a client. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks-irishrm
Just reread your post and realized it was your printer you wanted help with.

On your client open Setup->CUPS PrinterWizard->No->Printers and you should see the printer you have installed on Pupserver435. Just choose "Set as Default" and its a done deal.
Attachments
pupserver_cups2.jpg
Pupserver printer viewed from client
(68.14 KiB) Downloaded 1704 times