WINE - When I Need Emulation.

Booting, installing, newbie
flamesage

WINE - When I Need Emulation.

#1 Post by flamesage »

Could someone create a .pup WINE?
Or could someone post some instructions on how to install wine on puppy?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

WINE stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulator"

#2 Post by Flash »

WINE stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulator"
See this post.

flamesage

#3 Post by flamesage »

I know that. But I still do not understand how to install it.

Bruce B

#4 Post by Bruce B »

I don't like to say can't, but I didn't have good success on my first and only try at installing Wine. I don't really need Wine so I didn't persist.

Probably, it could be installed, but some geek will have to work around the obstacles and solve some problems. Then share the info with others.

danleff

#5 Post by danleff »

Ahh..the great Wine debacle.

The question is, why do you need Wine?

It runs very few useful apps, most that have comparable or better alternatives in Linux.

I have tried wine in the past and finally realized that it was not worth the trouble.

Of course, I don't use many games. OpenOffice fills the void nicely for my need to have compatibility with Word files.

Making a dotpup Wine package would be a challenge indeed! The other challenge would be to get apps to run on it well.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

flamesage

#6 Post by flamesage »

Well I used wine over in MEPIS linux, to run a development tool (thats what I really really need) and it worked with a 99% success rate. The only small bug was with some icon, and it wasn't very major.

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#7 Post by JohnMurga »

Hey

I had to use Wine to Lotus Notes (for work) a while back.

It was excellent ...

There are times when you just "have" to use some tool that you've been "locked" into ... For this Wine is great.

I may make this my next challenge ;-)

Cheers
JohnM

Down but not out

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Ian »

Hi John,

Yeah, I read a post on a BB a couple of years ago about a few businesses that were running Lotus Notes in Wine and I have used Wine a few years ago but don't see the need for it in Puppy as it would only be running the same old stuff that I have moved away from.

The idea behind Puppy is "Small & Fast " and although Wine is faster than VMware it still would be running slow programs.

#9 Post by Guest »

I think there is alot of people out there missing the point of puppy...

Small and fast

Not bloated......

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Whining for Puppys (provide your own moon)

#10 Post by Lobster »

JohnMurga wrote:Hey

I had to use Wine to Lotus Notes (for work) a while back.

It was excellent ...

There are times when you just "have" to use some tool that you've been "locked" into ... For this Wine is great.

I may make this my next challenge ;-)

Cheers
JohnM

Down but not out
I hope you decide to do this. Wine seems to be on every distro and I :oops: have never been able to get it to work. Mind you I do not try very hard.

I appreciate that we are interested in bigger programs and I feel if Wine makes it as a pupget that can be optionally installed or uninstalled - it is not a problem. For example (even though I do not use Open Office) I feel Barrys inclusion of OO as a Pupget or unleashed add-on in the upcoming 1.0.4 is going to be very interesting. Why should we not have a Puppy Humonguos, a Puppy Barebones - an Opera Puplet and so on . . . Why not indeed . . .

PS. Sorry to hear things are down for you John - you might be interested in the Yin/Yang wisdom of Chinese Taoist philosopy - when things are going well, the Taoists are cautious because this changes - and when things are going badly, they are optimistic because this too changes . . .

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

#11 Post by Guest »

Why Wine?
I sell a low volume product that's used by companies all over the world.
I've written all the software in Borland C++ builder.
It only runs on Windows. I'd love to be able to distribute a version that runs under Linux, but that's not going to happen unless I hire someone full time to do that (and there's no money for that).
With Wine I now have a solution to offer Linux users who want to purchase my product.

I'd love to offer a Linux version, but since that's not going to happen any time soon, Wine does the job.

EarlSmith

#12 Post by EarlSmith »

I had a post a while back about the one program in windows that my business really needs....QuickBooks. There is nothing that I have found in Linux that works as well for me. So, if Wine could run QuickBooks, I could finally convert 100% to Puppy. I'm sure other people have their own "one" program that prevents them from converting to Linux.

danleff

#13 Post by danleff »

I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

qa1433

#14 Post by qa1433 »

Hi all,
I would like to see WINE as an option in Puppy also. I get the small and fast concept of Puppy. However, there are times when I need to run M$ tools for my business. When those times arise I am forced to re-boot and run Win2K. :?

I have Crossover Office which works surprisingly well with all distro's that I have used it on. Also, I have had very good luck with the later releases of the free WINE app download. If I had the where with all to create a DotPub or PupGet of WINE I would.
Just my 2 cents,
Thanks!
Paul 8)
P.S. Thanks for this great distro! :lol:

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#15 Post by nduanetesh »

I will chime in with the "let's have wine" crowd as well. While "fast" is a tenet of puppy philosophy ("small" is not mentioned in the mission statement, btw), I think item 7 in the mission statement is at least as important, if not more:

Puppy will have all the applications needed for daily use

After all, what good is a small, fast operating system if it doesn't have the software you need? And as much as I love and support the free software movement, there simply are situations in which windows programs are necessary for certain users.

However, I will also say that I don't think that WINE should be part of the regular puppy distro. It should be a pupget or dotpup download, so that the general userbase (who do not want or do not need WINE) don't have to deal with the bloat of downloading it.

BTW, in my mind, at least, the pupget repository has become a sort of place where software packages go that are too big or esoteric for the general puppy distro, but that some people might have use for, so someone went through the process of putting it together. Is this actually so? or am I just dreaming that? Could pupget be the repository for Open Office, WINE, etc?

ND

Sorry if this is incoherant...it's late.

#16 Post by Guest »

There is a possible "rich man's" solution to running WINE. It seems silly, but you could just Remote Desktop back to a Windows machine. This requires a second computer running NT/XP Pro and a fairly fast LAN, so it isn't a very good work around.

#17 Post by Guest »

Before we get ahead of ourselves.....what are the required libs for WINE. Is gtk-2.4 needed...I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

klhrevolutionist

ugh

#18 Post by klhrevolutionist »

just for my two cents what is wine needed for ?
one distro without wine my show signs that bill gates is not needed let's make puppy that distro!!!

dracothered

Re: ugh

#19 Post by dracothered »

[quote="klhrevolutionist"]just for my two cents what is wine needed for ? [/quote]

I need wine to run a program called FREE!ship that is a great little program for helping in the design of boats. I would also like to try and run a CAD program that I also use.
Corbin
Draco the Red

rarsa

#20 Post by rarsa »

QickBooks alternative
Hey! this is puppy a light, small and simple distro for your 'everyday' needs.

Puppy is not meant to run a company. If you have a company that you have to administer in QuickBooks, Then get a decent computer and a full distro.

Yes, Puppy is impresive doing what it's designed to do, that doesn't mean that it's everything for everyone.

Actually you will see that many (most?) of the puppy heavy users use Puppy for the convenience and speed but also a different distro when they need to do more demanding stuff (development, video processing, run a company, etc)

If your accounting requirements are not too demanding (don't require and integrated work flow from payroll, accounting, etc) you should have a look at this article

So, let's keep puppy simple and fast. If I'm going to drive in the city, park anywhere and save gas, I may get a smart car. If I'm moving, I'll get a truck.