How to install new Hamachi2 VPN in Puppy 5.2?

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
laurentius77

How to install new Hamachi2 VPN in Puppy 5.2?

#1 Post by laurentius77 »

Hello,
I want to have Hamachi2 VPN installed on my Puppy 5.2. The old version is working in my Puppy 5.2 but it has problems in connecting to Hamachi servers at work because of corporate network restrictions. Hamachi2 was successfuly installed on my Ubuntu 10.10 machine and it has no problems in connecting to Hamachi servers.
So i decided to install Hamachi2 version on my Puppy 5.2
Because hamachi2 needs LSB I installed first lsb-desktop_4.0-0ubuntu8_i386.deb from ubuntu lucid repository and then I installed hamachi2 from hamachi website:
https://secure.logmein.com/labs/logmein ... 1_i386.deb

I can start hamachi daemon with command
#/etc/init.d/logmein-hamachi start
When i try to login to hamachi servers i get the following error:
#hamachi login
hamachi: command not found
In Ubuntu I don't need to specify full path when launch commands but in Puppy 5.2 things seems to be different.

I don't know how to solve the problem...maybe LSB pack isn't ok or there are missing dependencies, anyway there is a condition on Logmein Hamachi site specified for installing Hamachi which is LSB>3.0-6.
Thank you anyone who can help!

darkstrike

#2 Post by darkstrike »

Just thought I would post here as well!

My friends and I mostly use Hamachi2 for gaming on our high-power Windows desktops, but I personally also use it for sharing files between my family's computers / remote desktop with VNC between my family's computers/the computers where I work/the computers I do volunteer tech support with...

...in other words, it would be great to have it on Puppy as well for the file-sharing/remote-desktop aspect :)

I too am trying to figure out what I need to install in order to get Hamachi2 working on Puppy 5.25, but am at a loss does anybody have it working that would mind sharing their explanation of how they got it so?

Cheers and thanks!

darkstrike

#3 Post by darkstrike »

Just a little new info for anybody following this (aiming this at laurentius77 as he is the one who started the thread);

I have not been able to join any networks yet as I haven't figured out the command yet (seeing as the 'hamachi commandhere') syntax the Linux Hamachi2 ReadMe suggests doesn't work in Puppy)....still working on that as we speak, but I HAVE been able to get the Hamachi daemon running in the background as Laurentius77 mentioned.

I personally installed Hamachi2 by installing the 'lsb_4.0' package and all it's required dependencies and then installing the .deb file from LogMeIn's Labs and Betas site. Managed to get the Hamachi daemon running by using the '/etc/init.d/logmein-hamachi start' command....so far that's all I've got. I'll post again if I figure any more out.
Last edited by darkstrike on Thu 14 Apr 2011, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.

darkstrike

#4 Post by darkstrike »

Ok...from what I can gather, there is supposed to be a 'hamachi' listing in '/usr/bin' in Puppy but there does not seem to be one?

Laurentius77 and I installed Hamachi 2 from the .deb package on LogMeIn's Labs and Betas site, and I am pretty sure my download wasn't corrupt....anybody know why this .deb wouldn't have installed that file to the 'usr/bin' directory like it was supposed to?

darkstrike

#5 Post by darkstrike »

SUCCESS! :D

After installing the .deb, I figured out it seems that the install.sh file in the deb was not run during package install. So I downloaded and extracted the .tgz file from the LogMeIn site as well. After downloading and extracting this, I ran install.sh from the package and tried the 'hamachi login' command again....it worked like a charm!

Now to try connecting to a network....*tries*

YYYYYEEESSSS! IT LIVES! Just connected to my Hamachi2 network with all my Windows machines, no problems! 8)

Now to see if it runs on startup, and if not, how to get it to do so...I will report back with that as well once I sort it out!

laurentius77

#6 Post by laurentius77 »

Thank you darkstrike!
I'm going to install Hamachi2 right now in my Puppy Linux 5.2.
Puppy is the best!

darkstrike

#7 Post by darkstrike »

No problem sir, good luck!

Post back if you get it working :D

laurentius77

#8 Post by laurentius77 »

I have hamachi2 installed and working in my Puppy 5.2
Anyway, it seems there are problems in my corporate network because after I join a hamachi network I can't ping 2 hamachi2 clients. In windows is more strange because I can chat between clients but they can't ping each-other!
Anyway Hamachi2 for Windows is better than Hamachi2 for Linux, maybe because hamachi2 for linux it is in beta stage.
In Puppy I don't have a GUI in order to check if chat is working.
Does anyone have a graphical interface for hamachi2 which works in Puppy?
I tried to install Haguichi with no success.

darkstrike

#9 Post by darkstrike »

I haven't tried Haguichi in Puppy, but what, pray tell was the problem you had with it? I have read about a glitch that makes it look like it isn't working but in fact it is....will be fixed in the next release.

Glitch as far as I've read is that it keeps saying it won't connect and redirecting to the same dialog when it is actually working and it is just a GUI error, all you have to do is restart Haguichi and it works fine the second time....however that was on Ubuntu, so I am not sure if the same glitch applies to Puppy, although it should...?

laurentius77

#10 Post by laurentius77 »

The problem is that is not working at all. After installing there is one menu entry in Networking and one menu entry in Internet, both of them without icons. When trying to launch nothing happens. I've tried to start it in command line but there is an error regarding haguichi.sh. I opened haguichi.sh as text and there are just few lines. The error is generated by a line which specify a path to haguichi.exe.
I hope I will find a solution some day.
Best wishes.

darkstrike

#11 Post by darkstrike »

laurentius77 wrote:When trying to launch nothing happens. I've tried to start it in command line but there is an error regarding haguichi.sh. I opened haguichi.sh as text and there are just few lines. The error is generated by a line which specify a path to haguichi.exe.
I hope I will find a solution some day.
Best wishes.
Hi laurentius77,

I'm still on the case as far as my own interests go :). You're right, I get the same error....seems it is because Puppy is missing something called Mono which is apparently a required .NET framework that Haguichi uses as far as I can gather....our error is caused by the haguichi.sh calling for Mono and then the launching of the exe fails because Mono isn't there.

I don't know a lot about this stuff, but I am trying to find a way to install Mono and see if it gets Haguichi working....not that is is a big deal if we can't get it to work, the command line interface for Hamachi on Linux is pretty straight-forward. I'll update with progress, as always, as I go.

EDIT1: Found an old package for Mono - installing it now (username= 'puppy' password = 'linux' (without the quotes of course):
http://puppyisos.org/isos/2009-01-to-06 ... 4-i486.pet

EDIT2: Found out Haguichi also needs gtk-sharp....looking for that now...

EDIT3: Silly me....seems there was a gtk-smart .pet file right on that same site, i.e.:
http://puppyisos.org/isos/2009-01-to-06 ... 8-i486.pet
Going to install that as well after some supper and see if it works....I will make a new post then either way.

darkstrike

#12 Post by darkstrike »

Ok, tried it...still no luck, and at the moment I have reached an impass...

Seems Haguichi is now looking for some files related to Dbus when I run it, problem is, when I installed Dbus from a few different .pet files, it still keeps giving me the same error, so I am not sure if I could get it working sadly :(

laurentius77

#13 Post by laurentius77 »

Thank you for trying to solve the problem.
You have right, if GUI is not working it's not a huge loss, I can use command line. In fact I just need to be able to ping Hamachi interfaces, one in my corporate network and one at home.
For GUI I can use Hamachi1 + Hamachi-gui but the problem with hamachi1 is connecting failing in corporate network. Instead hamachi2 connects succesfully but I can't ping the hamachi home interface.
I hoped that using Hamachi2 to solve the problem but it seems it's not.
Hamachi1 is more simple and doesn't need that 62MB LSB + dependencies but it fails to connect to hamachi servers in restrictive networks.
Maybe we or someone else will manage to install Hamachi2 some day in Puppy. I will keep trying and let you know if I have positive results.
Best regards.

darkstrike

#14 Post by darkstrike »

No problem! I am just as interested as you are, except for me, it is for sharing files between my friends PCs and mine, as well as the remote-desktop tech. support I do for friends and family.

At the moment I don't seem to be able to find my Windows 7 shares however...