How to setup Samba network connection manager?

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
hobbydcc

How to setup Samba network connection manager?

#1 Post by hobbydcc »

Hello, Everybody!

I have a problem with using samba.

I installed it, via http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60204 , my Puppy computer is visible on network, but nothing are readable/writable.

What did I do wrong? I modified inside usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf the following:

[global]
dns proxy = no
max log size = 50
domain master = no
domain logons = no
workgroup = WORKGROUP
netbios name = pupserver
server string = Puppy Samba-TNG Server
security = share
;map to guest = Bad Password
;printcap name = cups
load printers = yes

[pupshare]
path = /root/Samba
writable = yes

[printers]
path = /tmp
printable = yes
guest ok = yes

Was it enough? Or must I modify anything? I would like, that after startup puppypc will connect automatically onto network via samba, and will it readable/writable by other computers between WORKGROUP computers.

ThanX for replies: hobbydcc :cry:

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

In my experience, "security=share" doesn't always work properly in Samba-TNG. What happened when you used the original default setting of "security=user"?
but nothing are readable/writable.
Are you saying that the share is not found at all? Do you actually have a folder named /root/Samba on the server machine? What happened when you used the default share /mnt/home?

Are you trying to see the share from Windows client machines? What kind? How are you mounting the share?

The folder /root/Samba is used by Puppy CLIENT machines to mount Samba shares. Are you confusing this with the share folder on a Puppy SERVER machine?

hobbydcc

#3 Post by hobbydcc »

rcrsn51 wrote:In my experience, "security=share" doesn't always work properly in Samba-TNG. What happened when you used the original default setting of "security=user"?
but nothing are readable/writable.
Are you saying that the share is not found at all? Do you actually have a folder named /root/Samba on the server machine? What happened when you used the default share /mnt/home?

Are you trying to see the share from Windows client machines? What kind? How are you mounting the share?
Hi, rcrsn51!

I did them that in Ubuntu there were the solutions to use samba well and easily...

I modified usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf back, security=user and share mnt/home.

It seems that from Ubuntu computer the puppypc is visible/manageable (before I made a new dir label, using root woofwoof), that is GOOD!!!

S, now I can't see the Ubuntu computer, but Ubuntu can see puppypc. Why? I don't know...

hobbydcc

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

hobbydcc wrote:S, now I can't see the Ubuntu computer, but Ubuntu can see puppypc. Why? I don't know...
Do you know for certain that the Ubuntu machine has a working share?

What CLIENT software are you using on the Puppy machine to see the Ubuntu share? Your first choice should be Pnethood from the Network menu.

hobbydcc

#5 Post by hobbydcc »

Do you know for certain that the Ubuntu machine has a working share?

What CLIENT software are you using on the Puppy machine to see the Ubuntu share? Your first choice should be Pnethood from the Network menu.[/quote]

Yes, Ubuntu notebook has a shared directory, I made it (...), by modifying inside /smb.conf security=share... With the other Ubuntu computer the shared Ubuntu notebook is manageable, completely.

I asked this question because of in my computer's HDD is LuPu 5.20, not Ubuntu - and Puppy is NOT Debian-based Linux, there are many differences between Puppy and Ubuntu...

I know the Pnethood, and if I connect with this for the other computers, all are good - but I don't know, can You set Pnethood 0.66 that after startup searches it all the computers in network and connects via them automatically?

hdcc

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

I'm confused. Are you saying that the Puppy machine can see ALL of your Ubuntu shares using Pnethood, or just some of them?

If Pnethood fails on one machine, what goes wrong?

Can it find the server? What is its name?
Can it find the share? What is its name?
If you type in a dummy username and password, can you mount the share?

hobbydcc

#7 Post by hobbydcc »

rcrsn51 wrote:I'm confused. Are you saying that the Puppy machine can see ALL of your Ubuntu shares using Pnethood, or just some of them?

If Pnethood fails on one machine, what goes wrong?

Can it find the server? What is its name?
Can it find the share? What is its name?
If you type in a dummy username and password, can you mount the share?
Ooooooh, I think, it is a bit complex for me....

So, I would like to share puppypc after all startups (solved), and I need to reach a shared ubuntu directory, which inside are the films.

How can I do that puppypc mounts this shared ubuntu folder after startup? And if it is not reachable, Puppy will do nothing. Is it solvable anyway?

hdcc

rcrsn51

#8 Post by rcrsn51 »

hobbydcc wrote: I need to reach a shared ubuntu directory, which inside are the films.
You still haven't answered the question. Can you see this share from Pnethood?

hobbydcc

#9 Post by hobbydcc »

rcrsn51 wrote:
hobbydcc wrote: I need to reach a shared ubuntu directory, which inside are the films.
You still haven't answered the question. Can you see this share from Pnethood?
Yes ! If I click onto Pnethood, I can connect with the Ubuntu shared folder. My problem is, that I can not do it automatically!

hdcc

rcrsn51

#10 Post by rcrsn51 »

OK. Auto-mounting Samba shares in Puppy can be tricky because you need to wait until your network has initialized. I will get back to you with some code.

hobbydcc

#11 Post by hobbydcc »

rcrsn51 wrote:OK. Auto-mounting Samba shares in Puppy can be tricky because you need to wait until your network has initialized. I will get back to you with some code.
Thank You the help, I think I will stay in manual method....

hobbydcc