Puppy +Laptop

Booting, installing, newbie
MA70SNowman

Puppy +Laptop

#1 Post by MA70SNowman »

okay trying to get puppy 1.008 to run on laptops (i've tried a few) but the major problem i'm running into is i can get it to boot and pull pu the desktop but i can't get a mouse to work.. either a USB wireless mouse or the touchpad.. i've tried all 3 options but it either doesn't work period or it'll jump all over the screen and i can't use it. ANy help here would be appreciated..I can be reached on AIM at MA70Snowman if anyone wouldn't mind helping me 1 on 1

pelokwin

#2 Post by pelokwin »

Hey,
I'm a bigtime newbe but, with a lot of help, I was able to install puppy on the harddrive of an old IBM think pad. so the first question is are you using a live cd or an install? if it is a live CD are you sure it was burnt completely? (did you check it with check sum?)http://puppylinux.com/download/md5sum.exe also when I went through th set up for the CD puppy asked me about what kind of mouse I had. well mine was not listed so I went to the next best thing.....twice although I'm new it sounds more like a bad puppy download because you said you tried a few different laptops.
My questions may or may not help you but in a reply list as much info about the specs of your computers so the puppy gods will have an easyer time helping you
I'm just a passing thought in this world

jim232777

#3 Post by jim232777 »

I'm a newbie also, at least as far as pupy is concerned, but I installed to on old ibm thinkpad pretty easily.

You might back up in technology a little if you can. The live CD didn't recognize the touchpoint, or whatever IBM calls their little red thing that substitutes for a mouse. If I booted with a PS/2 mouse, it recognized it immediately. (do you have super-modern laptops with no PS/2 port?)

If you get an old mouse to work, you then might try different window managers. The default jwm didn't work, but I'm a fan of XFCE4. (it's not as bloated as kde or gnome, but still pretty, and easy to use.) When I installed it on the thinkpad, the pointing stick magically started working. Was I ever surprised!

ChechenPuppy

#4 Post by ChechenPuppy »

I would like to submit information about my laptop (PM dothan generation) working well under different Puppies. Where should I email or post it?

pelokwin

#5 Post by pelokwin »

ChechenPuppy, Hey
I would guess If you are proud of your work the put it in "puppy power"

Béèm

#6 Post by Béèm »

jim232777 wrote:I'm a newbie also, at least as far as pupy is concerned, but I installed to on old ibm thinkpad pretty easily.

You might back up in technology a little if you can. The live CD didn't recognize the touchpoint, or whatever IBM calls their little red thing that substitutes for a mouse. If I booted with a PS/2 mouse, it recognized it immediately. (do you have super-modern laptops with no PS/2 port?)

If you get an old mouse to work, you then might try different window managers. The default jwm didn't work, but I'm a fan of XFCE4. (it's not as bloated as kde or gnome, but still pretty, and easy to use.) When I installed it on the thinkpad, the pointing stick magically started working. Was I ever surprised!
The little red thingy is called a track-point.
With my IBM R40 and defining the keyboard (I have a Belgian one) it was recognized immediately.

How old is your old Thinkpad? Which model?

soberon

Puppy in an old Toshiba??

#7 Post by soberon »

Greetings...
Anybody have installed Puppy in an old Toshiba Satellite 220CDS (80 Mb RAM 1.4Gb HD)??? If yes, How did you make work the sound (card: Yamaha OPL3-SAxWDM)???
Thanks in advance
:lol:

pelokwin

#8 Post by pelokwin »

hey soberon,
Not sure if this will help but check out this post
http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic ... opl3saxwdm it is not talking about you sound card but it is about a YAMAHA

ChechenPuppy

#9 Post by ChechenPuppy »

pelokwin wrote:ChechenPuppy, Hey
I would guess If you are proud of your work the put it in "puppy power"
I haven't done much of work with Puppy to be proudly presented. I just would like to add my hardware to the tested
puppy hardware list, with a few comments on what I have actually tested. My laptop is uniwill barebone which is actually used under many local brandnames in different countries. So, I believe this information posted could be helpful
to motivate people to use Puppy (because "it works").

I have one more questions. It seems that the centrino speedstep technology is not properly recognized on 2.4.xx kernels used by puppies. The only version which uses 2.6. Kernel is puppy 1.07. However, I was not able to find a download of its iso file. Can someone help me with that?
Wihout the centrino speedstep support it is rather annoying to use Puppy, because the processors runs at the highest clock all the time. For this reason I do not install puppy on my hard disk so far. With a few initial hints, I could test it on my laptop. I also plan to implement the undervolting of Pentium M, recompile the 2.6 kernel to make it adapted to my particular processor (which is able to work at 25% lower voltages under windows, than those set by default).

Add: OK, I googled out the list of puppy 1.0.7 downloads
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy107
I will test it these days.

Unfortunately, my smaller subnotebook still is not able to enjoy Puppy running on it, because Puppy doesn't boot from external USB optical drive. :cry:

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#10 Post by Lobster »

ChechenPuppy wrote:I would like to submit information about my laptop (PM dothan generation) working well under different Puppies. Where should I email or post it?
Here:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/LaptopsWorking

. . . here is how to use the wiki
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/UsingThisWiki
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

BlackAdder

Intel Speedstep

#11 Post by BlackAdder »

Chechen Puppy,
Intel Speedstep is only directly supported by the 2.6 series kernels. If you want to change the processor speed with the 2.4.29 kernel used by Puppy, you first have to implement ACPI. There is a neat summary of how to implement it here.
Then you can either change the speed by hand or use a program. There is a Tcl program to do that, but it you just want to reduce the speed by a given amount it might be easier to use the manual method.

soberon

THANK YOU

#12 Post by soberon »

Pelokwin...
Thanks a lot :lol:
I will try; I hope be so lucky as the post's guy.

toddyjoe

#13 Post by toddyjoe »

soberon, what does not work with your Yamaha OPL3-SAx sound chipset? I have the same exact chipset in my Thinkpad 310ED from the late 1990's and it works fine. Puppy 1.0.8rc1 with ALSA detects it automatically at boot up. Which Puppy version are you using?

Do not worry about the WDM designation... WDM are the Windows 98 drivers that you do not need with Linux or Puppy.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#14 Post by Flash »

Chechenpuppy, as far as I know the only Puppy versions that use the Linux 2.6 kernel are 1.0.4 and the latest Puppy2 alpha. I've been using Puppy2 alpha on a multisession DVD for over a month now and it has been very stable.

ChechenPuppy

#15 Post by ChechenPuppy »

Flash wrote:Chechenpuppy, as far as I know the only Puppy versions that use the Linux 2.6 kernel are 1.0.4 and the latest Puppy2 alpha. I've been using Puppy2 alpha on a multisession DVD for over a month now and it has been very stable.
Unfortunately, the iso downloads of 1.0.7 which I tried where all with 2.4 kernel.
However, I seem to have ead somewhere that there is a version of 1.0.7 which uses 2.6 kernel. Someone can guide me?

Will also try 1.0.4 later.

I would rather prefer to have Puppy with >2.6.12 kernel than to mess with ACPI under 2.4 (that would take me too much of time to learn how to do that :roll:).
Last edited by ChechenPuppy on Thu 25 May 2006, 07:11, edited 1 time in total.

ChechenPuppy

#16 Post by ChechenPuppy »

I tried Puppy2alpha, kernel 2.6.16.7 according to /proc/version

Unfortunately, the centrino speedstep is not implemented properly:
the processor runs at the highest clock all the time :?

For comparison, there is no problem here under Ubuntu with kernel 2.6.15.