install hp f4580 printer to linux puppy 501

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
deoghe

install hp f4580 printer to linux puppy 501

#1 Post by deoghe »

I'm new to linux (3 weeksz) and I'm trying to install a new Hp printer deskjet f4580. I have tried to use the CUPS printer wizard to no avail. My exact printer is not listed so I tried a few other drivers but I was not successful in getting the printer to print. I also dloaded the hlpip-3.10.5.run file ;for hp 4500 printers but am unable to install it from the command line using the Urxvt terminal emulator in the Utility menu selection. If anyone could point me in the right direction any help would be appreciated. Mind you I am old but this dog can learn new tricks ;) Thanks in advance

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Go here and get the hpijs-3.10.2-dynppd.pet.

deoghe

#3 Post by deoghe »

Thank you. I will try that. Like I said I am very new to this so it may take a day or so but I'm all about Linux now. Bill will never get another dollar of mine!!! I'm reading and learning and spreading the word When I get it I'll let you know Thank you once again ;0

John51

#4 Post by John51 »

I recently succeeded in getting connected to my HP f4580 after more time spent in the trial and error mode than I care to admit. Like a lot of this stuff its easy once you know how to do it. I'm using Puppy 5.20, the HP4580 printer and the Netgear wireless router DGN2200.
Here are the steps that finally led to my success. Those with more expertise may know of more efficient ways to connect but this worked for me.
1. Get the IP address of your printer - on my router it is displayed on the Attached Devises menu you get when logged into the router..
2. Install 2 PETS libnet.snmp-15.pet and hpliplite-3.11.3.pet which are available from this forum at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58421
3. From the System Status and Config menu start CUPS
4. From the Admiinistration tab select Add Printer
5. Click on AppSocket/HP JetDirect
6. In the Connection window type: socket://Step1IPaddress
where Step1IPaddress is the IP address you got in Step 1, above
7. On the next screen give the printer a name - other info is optional
8. On the next screen select HP and "Continue"
9, On the next screen scroll down and select:
HP Deskjet f4500 Series (en) - if it doesnt appear in the list go back
and reinstall the 2 pets in step 2 - then click on "Add Printer"
10. The next screen allows you to select default printer settings.
11. Click on the Printers Tab and you should see your newly installed
printer.
12. Select the new printer and under Maintenance select "Print Test Page"
13. With a little luck you should hear your printer working.
14. If not, perhaps I left out a step. Let me know.

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

Just out of curiosity, if you used the CUPS option "Find New Printers" instead of "Add Printer", would your printer be auto-detected? If it is, installation becomes much easier.

However, it may depend on whether the printer is directly networkable through an ethernet port or whether it's connected via USB to the printer port of a router. Or are you running this printer as a wireless device?

John51

#6 Post by John51 »

I should have clarified that the process I describe above is for connecting to the printer on a wireless LAN. CUPS did not autodetect the printer.

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

John51 wrote:I should have clarified that the process I describe above is for connecting to the printer on a wireless LAN.
In that case, I'm surprised that the printer was not auto-detected. However, CUPS 1.4 in Puppy 501 doesn't always find a network printer on the first try.

You could test this by booting off the Live CD using "puppy pfix=ram". Run CUPS and click on "Find New Printers" a couple of times.