imagemagick 6.6.6-6 and 6.6.6-7

Paint programs, vector editors, 3d modelers, animation editors, etc.
Dingo

imagemagick 6.6.6-6 and 6.6.6-7

#1 Post by Dingo »

Woof Woof! time to compile latest imagemagick:

since I'm a Puppy 3.01 lover, and I use use even frequently Puppy 4.2.1 and Puppy 4.3.1, I compiled for all three puppy versions

*imagemagick 6.6.6-6* for Puppy 3.01
*imagemagick 6.6.6-6* (STATIC BUILD with jpeg2000 support) for Puppy 3.01
*imagemagick 6.6.6-6* (docs and manual)
*imagemagick 6.6.6-6* for Puppy 4.2.1
*imagemagick 6.6.6-7* for Puppy 4.3.1 (with jpeg 2000 support)
- http://dokupuppylinux.co.cc/programs:imagemagick (download here)

apps in every package:

animate
compare
composite
conjure
convert
display
identify
import
mogrify
montage
stream
Last edited by Dingo on Wed 29 Dec 2010, 01:21, edited 1 time in total.
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

vovchik

thanks

#2 Post by vovchik »

Dear dingo,

Since I still use 3.01 on three machines, I, for one, am grateful.

Thanks, mate.

With kind regards,
vovchik

gcmartin

I was unfamiliar with this until I noticed the thread.

#3 Post by gcmartin »

• Does ImageMagick also includes an X Window graphical user interface for rendering and manipulating images? (I saw a reference to this on Wikipedia)
  • Would you recommend this for PUPs 5.1+?
  • Is there a PET on Ibiblio?
Thanks in advance

Dingo

#4 Post by Dingo »

*display* (type in console display and a GUI will be shown)

is utility from imagemagick with a GUI, but I recommend learning processing images via command-line. Once learned, you will use very fast and easily

animate
compare
composite
conjure
convert
display <----
identify
import
mogrify
montage
stream

I remember that Barry has already done in past an imagemagick package for Lupu (see his blog)

every Puppy series needs to have its proper imagemagick package, since it has differences in system and in libs
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

muggins

#5 Post by muggins »

I agree with Dingo, that commandline is best, but for some gui is preferred.

I don't know whether this Flimp pet will work with the Imagemagick version above...might be worth a try.

Converseen is a QT4 frontend, to Imagemagick, that provides image conversion & resizing.

miriam

imagemagick for Puppy 5.0.2 Lucid

#6 Post by miriam »

I've just spent most of a couple of days trying to get ImageMagick working on Puppy 5.0.2 Lucid. In previous Puppies I had little or no difficulty compiling it, but for some weird reason I'm unable to in this Puppy. The compilation fails with

Code: Select all

magick/libMagickCore.la: No such file or directory
when that file actually does exist. I tried many versions that compiled on previous Puppies, always with the same problem. One or two people have posted the same problem on the web, but with no solution as far as I can find.

So I turned to trying pre-compiled versions. These failed too. At first I got the same error no matter what I installed, but I eventually realised that they were installing in different places and the old problematic versions were not being replaced by the newer ones. So I tracked down all the files and deleted them by hand to get a clean slate.

Now I tried Dingo's ImageMagick-6.6.6-6-i486-static-puppy-301.pet because I figured static files would be less likely to have problems (don't know if my reasoning is correct here). Now when trying a simple convert test.png test.jpg it returned the error:

convert: error while loading shared libraries: libxcb-xlib.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Ahhh! :) Now we're getting somewhere. It seems that lib was left out of Puppy 5.0.2 Lucid. (That, of course is the eternal struggle with Puppy -- to leave out unnecessary stuff and include what is needed.) Anyway, I located it in an earlier pet libxcb-1.0.pet (from Puppy3 I think). I only copied the relevant lib over instead of installing the whole libxcb pet in case of bad repercussions. (I seem to recall something about incompatibilities between some of those libs and later Puppies.)

That ImageMagick now works fine on Puppy 5.0.2 Lucid. Yay!
I can finally get some work done!
Thank you Dingo, for providing them.

Oh, and for those who don't know the trick to selecting only some files from a pet, or checking to see what they contain before installing them, here's what I do:
First, I rename the pet, adding ".tgz" to the end of the name, because they are actually tar.gzip files.
Then I click to open in Puppy's archive extraction program (Xarchive in Puppy 5).
Next I select all and extract to the current location. It will give an error because of the way pets are wrapped (with checksum?). Ignore it.
Now you have a folder with all the files in it arranged in the layout they are intended to install on your computer and you can check to see if they are what you want or you can pick and choose from them.
[color=blue]A life! Cool! Where can I download one of those from?[/color]

bleepingbeep

Imagemagick for Lucid 5.20/5.25?

#7 Post by bleepingbeep »

Imagemagick has been a long-time favorite of mine. I'd love to see a PET for the newest versions of Lucid.
Lucid Puppy 5.2.5 frugal install on SD card in Eee PC (earliest model, given new life by Puppy)

DPUP5520

#8 Post by DPUP5520 »

newest version compiled in 525 for lupu is in this thread

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 725#515725
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69651][b][i]PupRescue 2.5[/i][/b][/url]
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72178][b][i]Puppy Crypt 528[/i][/b][/url]

mikeslr

Does ImageMagick-continuous-x86_64.AppImage work?

#9 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

I stumbled on ImageMagick-continuous-x86_64.AppImage here: https://github.com/KurtPfeifle/ImageMag ... continuous.

Recalled reading good things about ImageMagick, but also that it was somewhat difficult to create a functional application: many dependencies.

ImageMagick is the umbrella name for several command-line tools used in image manipulation, one of which being the creation of animated gifs. But, I'm not a 'command-line guy', and currently don't have a project in mind which requires any of the tools offered. Moreover, as it employs python, I can't use ldd (list dynamic dependencies) to test whether all dependencies under Xenialpup64 have been met.

ImageMagick.AppImage should work in Xenialpup64, maybe Tahrpup64; other 64-bits less likely but possible. So, if you have an interest and a current project, please post back and let us know if this package will work OOTB, or its dependencies are easily satisfied.

mikesLr

slavvo67

#10 Post by slavvo67 »

I have Imagemagick working in RUXerus64. I'll be happy to link the packages I used, if needed. Not sure which Puppies or Quirkies it will work in. Don't recall the version, though.

mikeslr

#11 Post by mikeslr »

slavvo67 wrote:I have Imagemagick working in RUXerus64. I'll be happy to link the packages I used, if needed. Not sure which Puppies or Quirkies it will work in. Don't recall the version, though.
Hi slavvo67,

Please do. It was your prior post which started me looking. The concern expressed in my prior post was about python which, looking at imagemagick in ppm, appeared to be a dependency. And I don't understand python at all.

But with a working version under RUXerus64, my best guess is that whatever python modules required having been satisfied, any binary changes, adjustments --if at all necessary-- to get it functional under Xenialpup64 should be manageable even by someone at my level of incompetence. :)

mikesLr

miriam

#12 Post by miriam »

Thanks mikeslr. I use ImageMagick quite a lot (though not as much as Gimp). The commandline can make a lot of things much easier.

I haven't noticed ImageMagick use python, though the first thing I always install on Puppy is its devx package, which includes python, so maybe it uses it without me seeing it. It certainly doesn't require you to know any python.

For instance, a while ago I downloaded an old ebook from the Internet Archive (http://archive.org) which had been scanned as page images. I wanted to use OCR (optical character recognition -- get the computer to convert the images of text into plain text) on the whole thing, but the images needed to be cropped to remove the edges of the pages and needed to be enlarged to get the best results from the brilliant, opensource OCR program I was using -- tesseract. The simplest way to do this was to work out the best crop size and rescaling size interactively with Gimp then use ImageMagick to crop all the hundred or so images using a single command, and another ImageMagick command to enlarge all the images. This left me with results that converted using tesseract almost flawlessly.

ImageMagick can also do some things that are simple using it, but extremely difficult using Gimp, or any other usual image editing program, for example, it can add text to an image while simultaneously applying unusual effects to it. If you have ImageMagick installed, try this:

convert -size 400x150 xc:white -font "DejaVu-Sans-Oblique" -pointsize 72 -fill "#80c0ff" -annotate +70+70 'testing' -motion-blur 40x120+310 -background white -rotate 270 -wave 3x35 -rotate -270 -gravity center -crop 400x150+0+0 +repage +gravity -fill "#99eeff" -stroke "#cc0000" -annotate +70+70 'testing' testing.jpg
I know this looks kinda complicated, but it's actually made up of just a few very simple parts all mashed together.

You may have noticed that often the names of the font files are not necessarily the actual names of the fonts inside the files. ImageMagick can help you with this too by making a text list of the real names of all the fonts on your system:

convert -list font | grep "Font:" | cut -d" " -f4 >fonts-quicklist.txt
Another nice thing you can do with ImageMagick that I haven't seen anything else able to do (though it might be possible with netpbm) is that it can ripple through all the fonts on your system and create images of them.

function drawfont {
	convert -size 600x150 -gravity center -background white -font "$1" -fill black label:"$1" "$1.jpg"
}

for fontname in `convert -list font | grep "Font:" | cut -d" " -f4`
# skip .pcf fonts because they cause an error
do
	case "$fontname"
	in
		"Courier-Bold")
			echo "----> skipping $fontname !"
			;;
		"Courier-Oblique")
			;;
		"Courier-Regular")
			;;
		"cursor-Regular")
			;;
		"Fixed-Bold")
			;;
		"Fixed-Regular")
			;;
		"Helvetica-Bold")
			;;
		"Helvetica-Regular")
			;;
		*)
			echo "drawing $fontname..."
			drawfont "$fontname"
			;;
	esac

done
But as you might imagine ImageMagick can be used for hundreds of things. It is most useful when working on many files, to remove repetitive actions, but has some surprisingly powerful commands that can be a great help even in single-instance use.

slavvo67

#13 Post by slavvo67 »

Ok. Well, just in case, maybe I'll upload the Python modules, as well.

BTW, I have a script (not GUI, yet) that I call PDFchuck (never really meant to share) which basically does certain imagemagick functions such as brighten contrast, enlarge, change file type. I tied in a file converter using the backend of ABI Word (I think). It's definitely a messy little script but I'll share if you're interested.

Eventually, I may take that script and make it user friendly by putting YAD on the front end.

I'll post a link here, this evening. Working on a new RU Xerus so the packages will be in my reach tonight.

miriam

#14 Post by miriam »

slavvo67, I'm very interested in that script. :D

slavvo67

#15 Post by slavvo67 »

Miriam:

It's a hot mess but I'll include it in the Imagemagick link shortly....

Slavvo67

miriam

#16 Post by miriam »

Cool, thanks. :) There's no urgency. It just sounded like something I would use often. (I hate pdf format.)

slavvo67

#17 Post by slavvo67 »

[Wrong link was posted here. See next post]

Don't ask me what's in Imagemagick1, Imagemagick2 and Imagemagick6.8.6..(aka Imagemagick3). It's been too long. I think Imagemagick2 has the main program.

PDFChuck does use YAD so if you have that installed, it should work just by clicking on it. The pet puts a desktop icon on your screen. Program is actually in /root/my-applications/bin

Test to see if Imagemagick works first by going to terminal and type mogrify.

Added Python-2.7.11 with what I believe are all needed dependencies. Not tested so no guarantees here.
Last edited by slavvo67 on Sat 13 Jan 2018, 02:50, edited 1 time in total.

slavvo67

Let's try this again. This folder!!!

#18 Post by slavvo67 »

mikeslr

Thanks

#19 Post by mikeslr »

Thanks slavvo67 for the pets.

And thanks miriam for the interesting information and pointers.

mikesLr

slavvo67

#20 Post by slavvo67 »

Miriam:

I don't want to get off topic but the best way I've found to really handle the difficult pdf's is through Libre Writer or Xournal. Xournal is truly a sleeper and well underrated when it comes to PDF's. BTW - RU Xerus comes with Xournal pre-installed too! :D

The converter in PDFchuck is more for batch converting like txt to pdf and the like.