Simple English (new Puppy docu project from Iguleder)

Helping keep Puppy well documented
oui

#21 Post by oui »

I am not clear about what you will say as all word used, «there«, «is», «but», «one» and «god» are all good words in BASIC!
nooby wrote:"There is but one God, Allah."
if you will say it so, say it: it is right BASIC English!

850 English words are a very important amount of words in other tongues because other tongues make use of different words for only one English word dependent of the use! and all words being formed of words from BASIC English are also BASIC words (get back in memory the example «online» from «on» and «line»). you can not say the same only using 850 German or French or Spanish words! the University of Harvard got printed books using the same way for French, Italian, Spanish, German, Russian, and Hebrew, and Charles Duff for French, Italian, Spanish, German, Portuguese and Russian («The Basis and Essentials of ... », Thomas Nelson & Sons Ltd) but 1000 words are not enough (about 3500 words in Spanish!). it is only possible on English.

I see it as almost certain that you are not interesting to use this way for discussions and it is good so!

nooby

#22 Post by nooby »

See I totally fail to make myself clear and them seems to fail too.

You even had a third take on those words.

1. They did not accept them they wanted to change the text.
2. I explained to you that their reasoning from my point of view totally failed to get what a Muslim that believe these words to be true intend when he or she say them. The Ogdon people failed to grasp that they only looked logically at them. The original text is not about that kind of logic them thought it to be. That text is a very religious expression of faith.
They totally failed to find BASIC English words that retold what the text meant at time of writing.

3. You just accept them as BASIC English but the Ogdon people did not agree with you and it is them that decide what a BASIC translation is all about.

So I don't accept that you tell me that I am not interested. I have been very interested in issues about translation since I have first heard of Esperanto and Ido since 1955 or so. But I don't support any of these languages.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

L18L

Simple English (new Puppy docu project from Iguleder)

#23 Post by L18L »

I see it as almost certain that you are not interesting to use this way for discussions and it is good so!
For me it is really not clear nether in which way nooby should not be interested in this discussion. :shock: nor what should be good so :(

Having reviewed this thread I am trying to resume:

Iguleder used the term simple English
oui introduced ogden's BASIC English
luluc had practical examples which got answered
nooby was the one who reminded himself and others at the topic
BarryK was interested, too.
and so on, good discussion

But then
if you will say it so, say it: it is right BASIC English!
Seems to me that oui has not read or if so he has not understood ogden's Needs of Basic English which clearly states that ... , let me just quote from it
Religion . Basic English can make a valuable contribution to World harmony through recognition of expressions of commonality between the world's religions. Should religion topics be expanded as a general topic or will the proposed new Literature category suffice to incorporate the fundamental religious concepts? Is a general category of religion required with sub-categories for Reading the Bible, the Koran, et al.?
Those are questions and not part of BASIC English

and
Computing. - is another area that is allied with science that needs attention is the whole field of computers. This topic is so pervasive and is of specific interest to some of those that read these pages, that it can easily become a general computer category with sub-categories of hardware, software development, world wide web, and more. The trick here will be to identify concepts rather than use of trade names and current jargon which will dissolve in a few years.
They are calling for contributions, it is not BASIC English.

There is much other interesting stuff on that site but I don't have the impression there isn't anything ready to use for puppy now.

And...without nooby this thread would still have been in the category unanswered posts

And now...
Back to
spending (or wasting) retirement
BaCon
Note, above line is my way of learning good English, simple or not, from forum member Bernie :)

nooby

#24 Post by nooby »

Yes that is true if it had not been for Nooby being totally obsessed with special Puppy English and him would accept BASIC english instead then all would be happy :)

I trust that IguLeder meant simple as in making pancakes and not simple as in Ogdens or any other Voice of America 1500 words English that would find another word for harddisk or sda3 or frugal install or partition or and all these other BASIC words would totally impossible to wild guess what they stood for.

Evidence is when we used google to translate an Italian text on TinyCore to English.

But I am all for that all non computer words could be easy to understand everyday English words. Words like deprecated are a bit unusual

Iguleder

#25 Post by Iguleder »

I wasn't following the conversation, but there are some things I want to say.

First, I wrote many useful articles but I abandoned this project because people were not interested in participating. It's hard to maintain such a big project when you're on your own and the fact nobody cares is discouraging.

Second, when I said "simple English" I meant clean language, without any technical words and complex grammar, so people known to have poor knowledge in English, such as some Asian or African fellows, can read and understand what's written in the wiki without having to use any translator or separate content, translated by ethnic groups within the Puppy community.

It's not that hard to use the term "memory" instead of "RAM" in cases where there's only one way to express a certain point that has to include technical words that non-technical people can understand. However, words like "assembly" are too much and they already require the user (who probably doesn't know the verb "assemble", unless he's a native English speaker or just has certain degree of knowledge in English) to search for additional information that he won't understand anyway.

To sum it up: "simple", for me, means non-technical English that includes only words used on a daily basis by a large majority of English speakers. The way to measure how simple it is, is the amount of information the reader absorbs from the text without effort.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

nooby

#26 Post by nooby »

Thanks Igu
I agree with the need for it but as you are aware of my English is at times totally incomprehenseable something