Green Dillo [SOLVED]

Using applications, configuring, problems
Freddy Thirty

Green Dillo [SOLVED]

#1 Post by Freddy Thirty »

Hi how do I get rid of the green background in Dillo (Lucid 520)?
Last edited by Freddy Thirty on Thu 28 Apr 2011, 08:26, edited 1 time in total.

Bernie_by_the_Sea

#2 Post by Bernie_by_the_Sea »

I’m in Wary 500 at the moment but I think Dillo in Lucid 520 is the same.

Go to /etc/dillo/ and open the file dillorc as text.

In the “COLORS SECTION" remove the # sign from the line “#allow_white_bg=YES
[color=green]Frugal[/color]: Knoppix 6.4.4 DVD
[color=blue]USB[/color]: DSL 4.4.10
[color=red]Full[/color]: WinXP Pro
Puppy (Feb. 4 - May 12, 2011) led me back to Linux.

Bruce B

Re: Green Dillo

#3 Post by Bruce B »

Freddy Thirty wrote:Hi how do I get rid of the green background in Dillo
(Lucid 520)?
The earlier versions of Dillo had more color options in the configuration file. This
has been changed to user defined CSS. If you know CSS you can do some
neat customizations.

If you don't know CSS, maybe you know a kid. He can probably help. Here is
where to put it and what to call it.

~/.dillo/style.css

~

Freddy Thirty

#4 Post by Freddy Thirty »

[quote="Bernie_by_the_Sea"]Go to /etc/dillo/ and open the file dillorc as text.

In the “COLORS SECTION" remove the # sign from the line “#allow_white_bg=YES

Bernie_by_the_Sea

#5 Post by Bernie_by_the_Sea »

Freddy Thirty wrote: Thanks, I tried this, but it still doesn't work. I click help button and dillo comes up, with a yellow green background.
Sorry for the misinformation. I don’t think I’ve ever tried to change the background color on a web page using any browser in any operating system and I’ve been using web browsers for more than 15 years. It’s been at least ten years since I created a web page.

Bruce says CSS but Dillo hasn’t implemented all CSS rules. Putting a style.css file in .dillo to change colors works on some web pages. On other web pages it works temporarily while the page is loading but then goes to the page author’s colors. On still other pages it doesn’t work at all.

If you can make or find a style.css that changes the colors on Dillo’s help page, kindly let me know. I made a style.css for Dillo that works on dozens of other web pages I tried but not Dillo’s.
Last edited by Bernie_by_the_Sea on Tue 26 Apr 2011, 04:24, edited 1 time in total.

Freddy Thirty

#6 Post by Freddy Thirty »

I think it's intentional with Lucid, because they wanted people to know that Dillo wasn't meant to be used as a real browser, only for local html files.

I wish I knew how to turn it off.

Bernie_by_the_Sea

#7 Post by Bernie_by_the_Sea »

Freddy Thirty wrote:I think it's intentional with Lucid, because they wanted people to know that Dillo wasn't meant to be used as a real browser, only for local html files.

I wish I knew how to turn it off.
The Dillo people chose those colors. They seem to be color blind. Look at the color scheme here http://www.dillo.org/FAQ.html.

Many people use Dillo as a real browser, not only in Puppy but in Linux as a whole. It's considered about the best for fast seaches. I use it routinely for some news and weather sites.

One time-consuming but foolproof way to fix the help page is to download it and edit it to change the colors.

You can save this code as style.css in the /root/.dillo folder and it will fix some colors on some web pages. If you don't like my choices, choose your own. A proper style.css file should be far, far longer with styles for each element -- paragraphs, section headers, tables, fonts, etc.

Code: Select all

body {background-color: #D7DBFF !important}
body {color: red; !important}
Attachments
style_colors.png
(23.19 KiB) Downloaded 1096 times

Freddy Thirty

#8 Post by Freddy Thirty »

Doesn't work - still green. So ugly, I can't stand it.

Thanks anyway, though. :D

Bruce B

#9 Post by Bruce B »

Freddy Thirty wrote:Doesn't work - still green. So ugly, I can't stand it.

Thanks anyway, though. :D
Give up if you want.

But you happen to have two very persistent individuals paying attention to
this problem.

I'm working on a style sheet. If that doesn't do it, it means zero to me. I
don't have to remind anyone this is FOSS and we can work it out at the
source level. The ugly greens happen at that level.

The thing we call ugly green is #e0e0a3, I believe.

Then build again.

~

Bernie_by_the_Sea

#10 Post by Bernie_by_the_Sea »

Bruce B wrote: The thing we call ugly green is #e0e0a3, I believe.
Go to http://www.color-hex.com/color/ee00ee and enter e0e0a3 in the box at the top then click on "Get color info."

However, I think I have the problem fixed at least in Wary. Let me look at Lucid and then I'll edit this post to give the code.

Bruce B

#11 Post by Bruce B »

Bernie_by_the_Sea wrote:
Bruce B wrote: The thing we call ugly green is #e0e0a3, I believe.
Go to http://www.color-hex.com/color/ee00ee and enter e0e0a3 in the box at the top then click on "Get color info."

However, I think I have the problem fixed at least in Wary. Let me look at Lucid and then I'll edit this post to give the code.
I did as you requested.

As far as Lupu, I've already dumped the binary to text and found
#e0e0a3.

Moreover, I verified it with the application interface using the color picker.

The internal CSS Dillo uses was in the binary dump. I need to format it
and try it to see if an external CSS overrides the internal. If not, I can fix
the source code.

See pic from Lupu below. If everything translates right, it should match
#e0e0a3 with your color picker.

~
Attachments
dillo.png
(47.61 KiB) Downloaded 998 times

Bernie_by_the_Sea

#12 Post by Bernie_by_the_Sea »

Bear in mind that this is down and dirty trial and error but this works for me in both Wary and Lucid.

1. Move dillorc from /etc/dillo to /root/.dillo. Or better yet get a new copy from http://www.dillo.org/dillorc and put it in /root/.dillo.

2. Uncomment this line in the Colors Section (means remove the # sign):

#contrast_visited_color=YES
3. This is a partial style.css file; a complete style sheet needs to specify each element, not just body and table. Save this as style.css in the /root/.dillo/ folder.

body {
   background-color: cyan !important;
   font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif !important;
   color: black !important; 
}

table {
  background-color: red !important;
}
I chose these plain English high contrast colors only to see if anything was happening in my trials. They’re not much better than Dillo’s choices. :)
Attachments
dillo_colors.png
(21.94 KiB) Downloaded 996 times

Bruce B

#13 Post by Bruce B »

Bernie,

Here is the complete css used internally by Dillo 2.2

Hopefully with it we should be able to redefine every thing it is doing, and
then some.

body  {background-color: #e0e0a3; font-family: sans-serif; color: black; margin: 5px}
big {font-size: 1.17em}
blockquote, dd {margin-left: 40px; margin-right: 40px}
center {text-align: center}
dt {font-weight: bolder}
link {color: blue; text-decoration: underline; cursor: pointer}
visited {color: #800080; text-decoration: underline; cursor: pointer}
h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, b, strong {font-weight: bolder}
i, em, cite, address, var {font-style: italic}

# i don't understand this, but it is what I got
# do you? if so, please explain the syntax, I 
# might be a : that shouldn't be there ????

link img, :visited img {border: 1px solid}

# end don't understand

frameset, ul, ol, dir {margin-left: 40px}
h1 {font-size: 2em; margin-top: .67em; margin-bottom: 0}
h2 {font-size: 1.5em; margin-top: .75em; margin-bottom: 0}
h3 {font-size: 1.17em; margin-top: .83em; margin-bottom: 0}

# something else I couldn't capture completely on line below
# i guess or maybe a bug on their part

h4 {margin-top: 1.12em; margin-bottom: 0}

h5 {font-size: 0.83em; margin-top: 1.5em; margin-bottom: 0}
h6 {font-size: 0.75em; margin-top: 1.67em; margin-bottom: 0}
hr {width: 100%; border: 1px inset}
li {margin-top: 0.1em}
pre {white-space: pre}
ol {list-style-type: decimal}
ul {list-style-type: disc}
ul ul {list-style-type: circle}
ul ul ul {list-style-type: square}
ul ul ul ul {list-style-type: disc}
u {text-decoration: underline}
small, sub, sup {font-size: 0.83em}
sub {vertical-align: sub}
sup {vertical-align: super}
s, strike, del {text-decoration: line-through}
table {border-style: outset; border-spacing: 1px}
td, th {border-style: inset; padding: 2px}
thead, tbody, tfoot {vertical-align: middle}
th {font-weight: bolder; text-align: center}
code, tt, pre, samp, kbd {font-family: monospace}
table, caption {font-size: medium; font-weight: normal}
Bruce
~

technosaurus

#14 Post by technosaurus »

has anyone tried the fltk-1.3 port of dillo2?
...it would be nice to have a toolkit that is actually used by other projects
(even the fltk team has essentially given up hope on the 2 series)

hg.dillo.org/dillo_port1.3/

BTW you could use sed to edit the binary to change the color string.. just make sure to use the same # of chars

something like:
sed -i 's/e0e0a3/ffffff/g' /pathto/dillo2
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

Bruce B

#15 Post by Bruce B »

technosaurus wrote: BTW you could use sed to edit the binary to change the color string.. just make sure to use the same # of chars

something like:
sed -i 's/e0e0a3/ffffff/g' /pathto/dillo2
My thinking exactly.

I did that except I did it with a hexeditor. I was surprised it didn't work. If it's not too much to ask, would you try the same thing and report back?

~

technosaurus

#16 Post by technosaurus »

Bruce B wrote:I did that except I did it with a hexeditor. I was surprised it didn't work. If it's not too much to ask, would you try the same thing and report back?
not at home right now, posting from my Droid. I assume your hex editor f'd up the global offset table... sed should not as long as you replace a string with a string of equal length.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

Bernie_by_the_Sea

#17 Post by Bernie_by_the_Sea »

Bruce B wrote:Here is the complete css used internally by Dillo 2.2

Hopefully with it we should be able to redefine every thing it is doing, and then some.
The problem is larger than Dillo's web sites. The goal is to have a style that renders all web pages in a satisfactory manner. This is quite impossible with Dillo but still there should be at least satisfactory colors and fonts on all pages.

Right now I'm having more trouble with fonts. I need to get them large enough to be easily read on all systems but not so large that they look like a page for the visually handicapped. I have all my browsers set for larger than normal fonts so I don't have to use my bifocals. This makes it hard for me to judge what normal should be. However, I just noticed the fonts on this forum posting page in SeaMonkey and I see they are about what I think is too small in my Dillo style sheet. Hmm. Just looked at my preview here in Dillo and they are too tiny. Putting this page in Dillo side-by-side with the same text in Abiword I see the default font is almost exactly Arial 8 pt. I think the minimum font needs to be Arial 12 pt. Aha! If "Use embedded CSS" under "Tools" is turned off, the fonts on this page jump up a couple of notches using my draft style.css. This may have been my whole problem. If "Use embedded CSS" is turned on Dillo ignores the style.css settings including the !important tag that can't be ignored.

Another problem is default colors. Fixing Dillo's colors screws up many other sites. Instead of black on white I'm going or trying to go with maybe black on transparent. Of course then with a black background no text will be visible. Maybe dark gray on transparent? Then they look faded on bright colors. I suppose I should try to look at the default style in Firefox/Opera... but no that won't work... or will it?

If I didn't use Dillo so much myself I might not be thinking so hard. :)

This brings back some memories. My first home computer in 1979 had only upper case characters and they were encoded in ROM. The very first computer programming I did was to create a RAM lower case character set to supplement the ROM character set. I was told by the manufacturer that it couldn’t be done but I and another user posted a patch in a monthly newsletter at the same time.Two years later that person joined me in forming a software company. That newsletter with only a few hundred subscribers was mimeographed and snail mailed -- this was very much the Pre-Internet Age. Fixing Dillo is simple compared to writing machine language calls to display pixel patterns on a machine with 16K RAM total. Talk about keeping things small. I had to learn 8080 machine language -- no assembler at that point. Nowadays I'm lazy and impatient. I expect to snap my fingers and have it done.

Freddy Thirty

#18 Post by Freddy Thirty »

Bernie_by_the_Sea wrote:Bear in mind that this is down and dirty trial and error but this works for me in both Wary and Lucid.

1. Move dillorc from /etc/dillo to /root/.dillo. Or better yet get a new copy from http://www.dillo.org/dillorc and put it in /root/.dillo.

2. Uncomment this line in the Colors Section (means remove the # sign):

#contrast_visited_color=YES
3. This is a partial style.css file; a complete style sheet needs to specify each element, not just body and table. Save this as style.css in the /root/.dillo/ folder.

body {
   background-color: cyan !important;
   font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif !important;
}

table {
  background-color: red !important;
}
I chose these plain English high contrast colors only to see if anything was happening in my trials. They’re not much better than Dillo’s choices. :)
Thanks Bernie, that worked. I changed the "background-color" instances to white, and now I'm much happier about the Help page.

Bernie_by_the_Sea

#19 Post by Bernie_by_the_Sea »

This should improve the appearance of all web sites in Dillo.

1. The file dillorc should be in the /root/.dillo/ folder. If it’s not there copy or move it from /etc/dillo. Change the line

#parse_embedded_css=YES
to

parse_embedded_css=NO
This will cause Dillo to start up with “Use embedded CSS

Bruce B

#20 Post by Bruce B »

Bernie,

That was very well done!

I applied the changes you suggested, with excellent results.

I'm attaching a partial screen shot. I compressed the file. The real thing looks
much better.

If anyone else wants a nicer looking Dillo, the heavy work has been done.

Just follow the instructions.

Bruce

~
Attachments
bernies-changes.jpg
(52.72 KiB) Downloaded 476 times