Android programming using Puppy Linux

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
tronkel

Android programming using Puppy Linux

#1 Post by tronkel »

Google have just stolen a march on Apple iPhone with their new App Inventor system that allows you to program your Android smartphone over the internet and without knowing any code. Connect the phone to your Puppy PC using USB.

Its still in Beta under Google Labs , but anyone with a Gmail account can use it. Simply connect your Android smartphone to your PC running say, Puppy SPUP-100. The built-in Seamonkey browser seems to have a problem with the Blocks Editor though, (in which you simply use jigsaw-like components to build your object events and their associated handlers). Just install Firefox 4 as a work-around.

You'll also need to have a Java JRE runtime installed. See the "learn" toolbar item within App Inventor to check out and troubleshoot your Java installation.

This is serious fun. Even 6-year-olds will be building Android apps in no time - no kidding! Attached screen dumps were taken from Within Firefox 4 running under the latest SPUP.

Puppy Linux is now your Android friend as well.
Attachments
jigsaw.jpg
(36.34 KiB) Downloaded 1061 times
Fidi.jpg
(78.43 KiB) Downloaded 1029 times
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

aarf

#2 Post by aarf »

Which android phone have you got and do you recommend it?
If this visual building of apps can be done for a phone shouldnt it be possible with some hacking, to visually build puppy apps too?

tronkel

#3 Post by tronkel »

@aarf

I use a Motorola Defy. It's a very good smartphone that I can recommend and works fine with App Inventor. (Android 2.1 Eclair is the OS).

Google do not specify which programming language is used within App Inventor. It's not Java and only runs inside of the App Inventor application from within a browser. It seems to be a big secret at least for now.

You're quite right though - something similar for Puppy development would be amazingly handy to have. A big job to implement, but who knows what's possible.

disciple

#4 Post by disciple »

Google have just stolen a march on Apple iPhone
I'm not sure I'd put it that way: letting you program your iPhone would be very contradictory to Apple's belief that Apple should control what software you can install on your iPhone and what it can do ;)
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

How easy is it?
Could a fish use it?
Do you need a smartphone?

A fish could use it and creating apps does not
require a smart-phone
and I suppose you could run the apps on the Android emulator for the Eeepc . . .

:)
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(76.25 KiB) Downloaded 821 times
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

tronkel

#6 Post by tronkel »

Lobster wrote:
How easy is it?
Could a fish use it?
How easy is it?
If I can manage it anyone can.

Could a fish use it?
A chip can allow you to program a computer. Fish & Chips is a wonderful thing (Blighty export) and should produce amazing software.

Ideally you do need an Android Smartphone. If you don't have one of these, you can use the emulator that's embedded in the Google App Inventor.

Lord_Solrac2

#7 Post by Lord_Solrac2 »

Question:: Where can we get this? O.O (No Links Dx)

nooby

#8 Post by nooby »

Lord_Solrac2 wrote:Question:: Where can we get this? O.O (No Links Dx)
You get it following this description :)

anyone with a Gmail account can use it. Simply connect your Android smartphone to your PC running say, Puppy SPUP-100. The built-in Seamonkey browser seems to have a problem with the Blocks Editor though, (in which you simply use jigsaw-like components to build your object events and their associated handlers). Just install Firefox 4 as a work-around.

You'll also need to have a Java JRE runtime installed. See the "learn" toolbar item within App Inventor to check out and troubleshoot your Java installation.
Tronkel I have not tested. I do have spup00 and I have two such android phones but this part

Simply connect your Android smartphone to your PC running say, Puppy SPUP-100. ...Just install Firefox 4 as a work-around.

Okay I have that one too but the Java thing how did you get that one.

And the first part. I sure have an USB cable to connect but one need to set the Android phone in the right way or it just get charged by the usb connection or try to set up Sony Ericson Suite something :)
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

aarf

#9 Post by aarf »

There are java sfs around. They may work with spup100.

tronkel

#10 Post by tronkel »

nooby wrote:
Okay I have that one too but the Java thing how did you get that one.
Yes, good question. Best thing is to solve these problems step by step. First of all configure Firefox so that it can see your Java installation.

To do this, open the about:config page in Firefox 4. You do this by typing about:config in the address bar. Next thing is to do a search for "java" from within the about:config screen and locate the java.default_java_location_others path item. You need to modify this to your own java path. Mine now reads:

java.default_java_location_others;/mnt/home/java1.6.0_24/bin

Do this by right-clicking the item and select the "modify" option.

Try this. If you need more help, get back to me.

nooby

#11 Post by nooby »

Tronkel, that seems to be the right way to do it. I would never have known without you telling me so much appreciated that you described it.

I guess I need a java pet or sfs that is apt for the kernel my puppy use?

Ms Windows seems to have two competing jawa things. Some say one of them better than the other. I have not touched Ms Win for years. So good that I can get it going in Puppy . Thanks.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

tronkel

#12 Post by tronkel »

@nooby

Go to this link and download the latest Sun-JRE

http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/download/ ... leId=48334

Save it in your /mnt/home directory, open a terminal and run the .bin executable from there. This will create a directory containing the java stuff in /mnt/home. Then point Firefox 4 that location.

Or else you can google around for a Puppy sfs or pet for Java. The Puppy Wiki has some links to these as far as I remember. This original Sun-JRE is maybe a tad easier to install. Main thing is that it works.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#13 Post by Lobster »

From the picture enclosed earlier you can see I started designing an app . . . That was an easy bit
Started to slot in programming modules and it became harder and I thought far better to design apps that work across all smartphones, OS and platforms without being tied to Google vision.

So must learn that HTML5
http://bit.ly/fDBSHq :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D