PupSnap-2.6

Paint programs, vector editors, 3d modelers, animation editors, etc.
radky

#21 Post by radky »

abushcrafter wrote:Some recommendations and bugs:
  • [1]If one forgets to enter file name and has the thumbnail check box ticked. It does not remember that the thumbnail check box is ticked.

[2]Please use a "&" at the end of the error sound command. I have one that is a few secs long.

[3]What about the default location being "/tmp"?

[4]Change window title to "PupShots" from "PS".

[5]"Help" tab be renamed to "About/Help/Config".

[6]Default image format of PNG instead of JPG.

[7]Option to use Date & Time for file name. Here is a date command you can use:

Code: Select all

date +%F_%R:%S
The next release of PupSnap should address 1, 2, 6 and 7 above. However, 3, 4 and 5 will not change for now. :)

I'll upload the new version later today.

Thanks for your suggestions.

r1tz

#22 Post by r1tz »

Jim1911 wrote:
r1tz wrote:I like this.

cp /usr/local/PupSnap/pupsnap2.rc /usr/local/PupSnap/pupsnap.rc

will easily solve the conf problem.

I found typing in file name every time troublesome so i did this

if [ "$FILENAME"= "" ]
then
FILENAME=picture
fi

num=1
while [ -f "$FOLDERNAME""$FILENAME"."$FILETYPE" ]
do
FILENAME="$(echo picture"$num")"
let num=num+1
done
Good idea, but I don't know where to add the code. Adding it to the bottom of /usr/local/PupSnap/pupsnap.rc did nothing.

Thanks,
Jim
You add it in func somewhere at the top just before the xdialog line.
ERROR="aplay /usr/share/audio/error.wav"
[ "$FILENAME" = "" ] && $ERROR && Xdialog --title Alert --no-cancel --msgbox "Please enter a file name!" 0 0 && $WORKDIR/PupSnap && exit 0
i added this behind so i can just link people to the image in a jippy. xclip default setting it to "copy" to middle click.
echo "http://q.r1tz.operaunite.com/file_shari ... E}""|xclip

Initially, i was thinking of adding a script to upload to imagebin.

radky

#23 Post by radky »

Version 1.5 See main post.
-Added option to apply current date and time to the image file name. (thanks abushcrafter)
-When a new name is not selected for the File Name entry box, the capture proceeds with automatic sequential naming of images. (thanks r1tz)
-The most recent capture is now the default entry for the File Name.
Last edited by radky on Thu 03 Mar 2011, 22:26, edited 1 time in total.

abushcrafter

#24 Post by abushcrafter »

I have thought of another recommendation. Add Image Magick "display" to the image viewer list.
[url=http://www.adobe.com/flashplatform/]adobe flash is rubbish![/url]
My Quote:"Humans are stupid, though some are clever but stupid." http://www.dependent.de/media/audio/mp3/System_Syn_Heres_to_You.zip http://www.systemsyn.com/

radky

#25 Post by radky »

abushcrafter wrote:I have thought of another recommendation. Add Image Magick "display" to the image viewer list.
Hi abushcrafter,

If an image viewer or editor is not currently supported by PupSnap, you can manually add the name of the executable to the appropriate combobox (with path and switches if needed). This new viewer or editor selection will remain your default choice until you decide to change it.

Thanks for the recommendation. :)

abushcrafter

#26 Post by abushcrafter »

radky wrote:If an image viewer or editor is not currently supported by PupSnap, you can manually add the name of the executable to the appropriate combobox (with path and switches if needed). This new viewer or editor selection will remain your default choice until you decide to change it.
Thanks. Nice feature.
My Quote:"Humans are stupid, though some are clever but stupid." http://www.dependent.de/media/audio/mp3/System_Syn_Heres_to_You.zip http://www.systemsyn.com/

Jim1911

Empty file

#27 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi radky,

A number of times I've had problems with the forum reporting that I was trying to upload an empty file and refused to post. This morning I tried to upload these two images made with PupSnap that are on the image made with mt-paint snapshot. Weird!

radky

Re: Empty file

#28 Post by radky »

Jim1911 wrote:Hi radky,

A number of times I've had problems with the forum reporting that I was trying to upload an empty file and refused to post. This morning I tried to upload these two images made with PupSnap that are on the image made with mt-paint snapshot. Weird!
Hi Jim,

In PupSnap, the File-Quality setting of 100 (least compression) may seem ideal for those who want to capture an image at maximum quality. However, when posting an image to the Murga forum, a full screen that is captured with no significant image compression may exceed the forum limits for image size.

On my system, a basic 1920x1080 full-screen image captured in PNG format with the File-Quality setting of 100 (6086K) will not upload to the forum. However, the same PNG image captured at the File-Quality setting of 50 (48K), will upload quickly, and the image looks very good when viewed as a link to the primary forum post. File compression in the PNG format is ‘lossless’ and image quality is preserved.

When capturing PNG images with PupSnap (i.e. with Scrot and the imlib2 library), the file size (in kilobytes) does not reduce significantly at File-Quality settings of 95 or 90, but drops dramatically at 85 (and below). You may have noticed that mtPaint and GIMP initially default to the maximum compression value of '9' when images are saved in the PNG format. At this numerical setting, the size of the mtPaint file (or GIMP file) is identical to the same image captured in PupSnap with the File-Quality setting of 50. The following quote is from the GIMP help file: “Since compression in the PNG format is not lossy, the only reason to use a compression level less than 9, is if it takes too long to compress a file on a slow computer." Consequently, when capturing PNG images in PupSnap, I would recommend the File-Quality setting of 50, which correlates with the maximum compression level of 9 in both mtpaint and GIMP. This will produce an image of high quality and convenient size (in kilobytes).

On the other hand, if the goal is to display an image of large dimension on the primary forum page (without linking), you can use a bitmap editor to crop the image, or downsize by pixel interpolation. A maximum image size of 600 pixels should satisfy the forum criteria for direct image viewing. Alternatively, you can use the Region (ROI) capture mode of PupSnap to limit the size of the captured image, or you may want to experiment with the PupSnap Thumbnail feature, which permits automatic downsizing of large images at the time of capture.

Thanks for your question. :)

radky

#29 Post by radky »

Version 1.5.1
-Updated help resources with recommendations for acquiring optimal screenshots. (thank you Jim1911)
-Added support for 64-bit Puppy derivatives such as Fatdog64 (thank you Billtoo for providing 64-bit builds of Scrot and the associated support files)

Billtoo

PupSnap-1.5.1

#30 Post by Billtoo »

Working well in Fatdog :)
Attachments
image-3.jpg
(37.91 KiB) Downloaded 1587 times

gcmartin

Interesting approach to screen/active window copy

#31 Post by gcmartin »

I thought I'd try your product. I have been looking for a Linux alternative to MS for a long while.

In OS2, then Microsoft, I could copy a Window (Ctrl-"Print Screen" key) or I could copy the Screen surface ("Print Screen" key). I have not found a Puppy solution to this. And am anxious to dive in to your PET to see if.

But, I have an installation issue that arose and though awareness might help.

When I 1st attempted to install, I initially got an error (see screen below). Then, I tried a 2nd time and get package message of "Success..." (also below) I don't know why, and thought to ask if there is some additional thing i can provide you so that you would know why the installation issue that occurred.

Hope this helps
Attachments
PupSnap screen error-1.png
Installation Starts
(40.57 KiB) Downloaded 2024 times
PupSnap screen error-2.png
Installation Failure
(13.7 KiB) Downloaded 1657 times
PupSnap screen error-3.png
Installation Success
(30.53 KiB) Downloaded 1674 times

radky

Re: Interesting approach to screen/active window copy

#32 Post by radky »

gcmartin wrote:When I 1st attempted to install, I initially got an error (see screen below). Then, I tried a 2nd time and get package message of "Success..." (also below) I don't know why, and thought to ask if there is some additional thing i can provide you so that you would know why the installation issue that occurred.

Hope this helps
Hi gcmartin,

Thanks for evaluating the 64-bit version of Pupsnap.

In weeks of testing multiple versions of PupSnap, I have not personally observed a failed installation of the pet.

In the case of Fatdog64, Pupsnap runs an initial pinstall script which adds the Ctrl+Shift+S hotkey to /root/.config/openbox/rc.xml, and this has been very reliable in my testing. Other than that, the Pupsnap installation is rather routine.

Hopefully, your case will be a one-time misadventure. :)

gcmartin

Thanks

#33 Post by gcmartin »

@Radky Thanks
Check your PM<

radky

PupSnap-1.6

#34 Post by radky »

Version 1.6. See main post.
-Enhanced design of the PupSnap Setup GUI.
-Enhanced tooltip Help resources.
-Enhanced launch wrapper to allow automatic recovery from aborted PupSnap sessions.
-Added single-click access to file management (ROX-Filer, Thunar, Xfe).
-Added auto-refresh of the image viewer (Precludes multiple, overlapping instances of the default viewer).
-Added auto-detection of image deletion (Click the View button and PupSnap searches for the most recent
screen capture. If that image has been deleted, the search continues for other images in the current folder).

radky

#35 Post by radky »

bleepingbeep wrote:The new version is working fine for me (running Lucid 5.2.5). Thanks for this tool -- I love it.

The only issue I have is this: When viewing an image in Viewnior (the default picture viewer), I'd like to be able to capture/crop a portion of it using PupSnap. But when I invoke it with Ctrl-Shift-S, Viewnior and the picture disappear before I can mark the capture area.

This does NOT happen if I'm using Gimp, mtPaint, etc.

Anyone else encounter this or have a fix? Thanks.
Hi bleepingbeep,

1 - With each screen capture, the PupSnap GUI and default viewer (if open) will disappear immediately prior to the capture, then both will reappear after the capture.

2 - To capture a small ‘cropped’ area of the screen, go to the ‘Region’ tab of PupSnap, and select Save. Then use the mouse to outline a rectangular region that you wish to capture.

3 - Subsequently, when the captured image is displayed in Viewnior, if you wish to crop the image even more, do the following:

Go to the ‘Image’ menu of Viewnior, then select the ‘Crop’ option. In the new dialog box, use the mouse to outline the area of interest in the image, then click the ‘Crop’ button in the lower right corner.
PupSnap also supports other viewers such as fotoxx, geeqie, gpicview, gqview, gwenview and xnview. Each viewer has built-in options to manipulate the post-capture image. Of course, if you capture the screen to an Image Editor such as mtPaint or GIMP, the options for post-capture manipulation are even greater.

Thanks for your question. :)

bleepingbeep

#36 Post by bleepingbeep »

Thanks very much, radky. I get 99% of what you said, but my problem is that the Viewnior image does not reappear for capture, and so there's nothing available to be marked.

Perhaps there's some aberration in my installation.
Lucid Puppy 5.2.5 frugal install on SD card in Eee PC (earliest model, given new life by Puppy)

radky

#37 Post by radky »

bleepingbeep wrote:Thanks very much, radky. I get 99% of what you said, but my problem is that the Viewnior image does not reappear for capture, and so there's nothing available to be marked.

Perhaps there's some aberration in my installation.
Hi bleepingbeep,

PupSnap and Viewnior disappear before the screen capture, then both subsequently reappear, and Viewnior displays the captured image. At this point don't use PupSnap to capture a portion of the image displayed in Viewnior. Rather, use the built-in options of Viewnior to crop the image:

1 - Go to the top menu of Viewnior and click the ‘Image’ option. You will see a drop-down menu --- select the 'Crop...’ option.
2 - A new dialog box (entitled 'Crop Image') will appear containing the image you wish to crop. Use the mouse to outline the area of interest in the image, then click the ‘Crop’ button in the lower right corner.
3 - Another dialog box will appear giving you the option to save the cropped image, or Cancel.

Thanks again for your question. Hope this helps. :)

bleepingbeep

#38 Post by bleepingbeep »

Well, radky, this is embarrassing, but thanks for setting me straight. My observation, though accurate, was completely wrongheaded. I thought Viewnior was simply an image viewer, and was unaware of its cropping capability.

I've used Linux for about 5 years, but Puppy is relatively new to me. Still learning, obviously!
Lucid Puppy 5.2.5 frugal install on SD card in Eee PC (earliest model, given new life by Puppy)

abushcrafter

#39 Post by abushcrafter »

I have removed all the junk code from the help HTML file. It is a lot smaller now. It's also done to high standards. I have used CSS classes which will make it a lot nicer to work with. Please look at & learn from what I have done. Don't use Composer because it produces rubbish code full of junk! The latest versions of Kompozer are better but not good enough. I recommend reading some doc on XHTML, HTML5 and CSS. For bit of a WYSIWYG program I recommend Amaya.
Attachments
PupSnapHelpTidyedUp.tar.bz2
(3.52 KiB) Downloaded 966 times

radky

#40 Post by radky »

abushcrafter wrote:I have removed all the junk code from the help HTML file. It is a lot smaller now. It's also done to high standards. I have used CSS classes which will make it a lot nicer to work with. Please look at & learn from what I have done. Don't use Composer because it produces rubbish code full of junk! The latest versions of Kompozer are better but not good enough. I recommend reading some doc on XHTML, HTML5 and CSS. For bit of a WYSIWYG program I recommend Amaya.
Hi abushcrafter,

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll see what I can do. :)