Save-pup-lock

Miscellaneous tools
seaside

Save-pup-lock

#1 Post by seaside »

Following some good ideas from Jasper and Nooby, both
SFS-exec-pupsaves have been superseded and replaced
by a single pet - "Save-pup-lock".

Save-pup-lock allows a directed saving to the pupsave file used in Puppy frugal installs.

Save-pup-lock, changes the pupsave interval to never, disables "snapmergepuppy" (the program that saves to the pupsave file) and provides a desktop icon called "Save-pup-lock" which is the only way to save to the pupsave file.

The intention is to make a small pupsave file with favorite programs and tweaks, add Save-pup-lock and then save and reboot. When you reboot, the pupsave file is effectively "locked out" where SFS files can be loaded and unloaded at will and a regular shutdown or reboot does not save to the pupsave file.

When you have files and programs you want to save to the pupsave file, you can click the desktop "Save-pup-lock" icon and a choice selection menu for either "Pup-save & continue" (which immediately does a save and then reverts back to the "pupsave locked out" mode), "Pup-save & poweroff" or "Revert to 5 minute autosave mode" appears.

"Revert to 5 minute autosave mode" is only applicable to that session. And, when you next boot, the session will be back again to the "pupsave locked out" mode. If you choose "Revert to 5 minute autosave mode", you can then change the session time saving interval minutes at Menu>System>Puppy Event Manager>Save Session followed by a "Restart X Server" (good only for current session). The "Save-pup-lock" will be missing from the desktop, indicating that the pup save file is open to receive changes at the chosen time intervals.

This method allows testing pets, sfs files, or whatever, with the knowledge that if anything unwanted gets into the filesystem, everything should be back to normal at next boot. Basically it's an "only save on demand" structure.

Note: With a regular shutdown you will still see a brief "...saving to" message but it's not saving.

Regular shutdowns will not save to the pupsave file.

USUAGE:

Special thanks to Nooby for confirming that the following works -

If your pupsave file is installed on a harddisk, you need to provide an additional boot code- "pmedia=ideflash". For example, if you have a grub menu.lst, you need an entry that looks something like this -

Code: Select all

kernel /lupu-510/vmlinuz pmedia=ideflash psubdir=lupu-510
If your pupsave file is installed on a USB thumb drive, then the boot code will be "pmedia=usbflash"

Install Save-pup-lock.pet below and reboot.

Cheers,
s
(Now, if I could just find something decent to wear to the Royal wedding.... :) )

EDIT: 3-22-2012 UPDATE below is "Save-pup-lock-02.pet" for newer puppies.
Attachments
Save-pup-lock-02.pet
Save-pup-lock to direct pupsaves for newer puppies
(1.26 KiB) Downloaded 1086 times
Save-pup-lock.png
Choice menu
(10.03 KiB) Downloaded 3922 times
Save-pup-lock.pet
Save-pup-lock to direct pupsaves
(1.24 KiB) Downloaded 1072 times
Last edited by seaside on Thu 22 Mar 2012, 23:57, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

#2 Post by nooby »

11.PM here now so I test this tomorrow :) Hope my confusing texts has not been misleading. I try to be less wordy and so prolific this thread. Good night
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Jasper

#3 Post by Jasper »

Hi seaside,

Thank you very much for this. I have tried your pet with Lucid Puppy 5.2.0 and my new save icon works with the message "Saving RAM to 'pup_save' file...".

However, when the message finishes your GUI with options does not appear.

Also, reboot and poweroff both hang when tried separately and respectively from the main menu.

My sdb6 save file is in /mnt/home and my menu.lst extract reads:

title                Lucid Puppy 5.2 frugal (fsck)
rootnoverify   (hd1,5)
kernel             (hd1,5)/vmlinuz  pdev1=sdb6 pfix=fsck pmedia=ideflash
initrd              (hd1,5)/initrd.gz
so perhaps I have not properly understood how to add " pmedia=ideflash".

My regards

PS I'm impressed that you need to consider your dress code for THE wedding.

seaside

#4 Post by seaside »

Jasper wrote:Hi seaside,

Thank you very much for this. I have tried your pet with Lucid Puppy 5.2.0 and my new save icon works with the message "Saving RAM to 'pup_save' file...".

However, when the message finishes your GUI with options does not appear.

That seems as if it's not installed. Does the icon say "Save-pup-lock" or just "save"

Also, reboot and poweroff both hang when tried separately and respectively from the main menu.

That's odd, because those functions aren't impacted

My sdb6 save file is in /mnt/home and my menu.lst extract reads:

title                Lucid Puppy 5.2 frugal (fsck)
rootnoverify   (hd1,5)
kernel             (hd1,5)/vmlinuz  pdev1=sdb6 pfix=fsck pmedia=ideflash
initrd              (hd1,5)/initrd.gz
so perhaps I have not properly understood how to add " pmedia=ideflash".

That looks right

My regards

PS I'm impressed that you need to consider your dress code for THE wedding.
We can't have former colony members look indifferent :)

Jasper

#5 Post by Jasper »

Hi seaside,

Thanks for you comments. My icon description is simply "save".

My regards

nooby

#6 Post by nooby »

I test it within say 6 hours from now :)

seaside

#7 Post by seaside »

Thanks for you comments. My icon description is simply "save".
Doesn't seem installed. Try to install pet again, save and reboot - you should see an icon that says "Save-pup-lock"
My regards

Jasper

#8 Post by Jasper »

Hi seaside,

I was intending to uninstall then reinstall but, after uninstalling, my save icon was still on my desktop and it apparently saved in a precisely similar manner as before uninstallation.

I know it sounds crazy, but have you tried your pet on a Lupu version.

My regards

PS I nodded off to sleep at my monitor. So I'm off to bed now.

nooby

#9 Post by nooby »

Seaside, I hope to test within an hour or two. What puppy are the one you have tested this on? I have now Lupu525 that I could test on but due to Jasper's experience I guess I should test it on Quirky 142 or Wary 511 or Lighthouse 5-3? or Fluppy 13 maytbe? Snow 5 that is lupu513 or what :)

I don't feel for doing it on puppy431 due to that one most likely don't have drivers I need for my Netbook. Okay I go for quirky 142 first.

So one boot up using pfix=ram and then set all the preferences and then install this pet and then tell computer to reboot and when it ask if it should save then one accept this and choose ext3 and when it has saved and rebooted the test is success if it has the right save button. Oh the most important is to have ideflash in the bootcode from scratch. Okay I try that one then.

nooby

#10 Post by nooby »

if [ "`grep Save-pup-lock /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/globicons`" = "" ]; then 
	sed -i '$d' /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/globicons
	echo '  <rule match="/root/my-applications/bin/Save-pup-lock">
	    <icon>/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/save48.png</icon>
	  </rule>
	</special-files>' >>/root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/globicons
	fi
Something goes wrong there I guess due to an error at reboot making the icons disappear with this error popping up in qrky142

Error in '/root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-filer/globicons' faile at line 2
it mention that no icons are specified and that is what one see on the pin board that we usually refer to as Desktop.

But the save-pup-lock button is there but no icon on that one either.

The buttons that have icons are sda1 sda2 sda3 and Connect, Trash, Zip Lock

I tested the button to save now and that worked. FF kept the start up page and saved the bookmarks too.
But the icons still fail.

I guess I should test on Lupu 525? Ouch I feel scared :)

I'm back from rebooting and the icons are still missing look at pic

I try to show using a poor quality pic to not take up bandwidth on the server.

Now I have tested on SnowPip15 which is close to Lupu525 AFAIK.
Same error look at second pic
Now I will try to add something and use your button and see if it is there at reboot and also add something and reboot not saving.

What is easiest to test with? the PWidget maybe? and download a youtube video and see if it is still in in cache? add bookmark?

I noticed a third thing with icons. if one do symlink to the pin board(Desktop) then after a while they end up looking like this
Attachments
iconsfail3.jpg
Se the ! there named music and picture and so on. New pnenomena.
(72.41 KiB) Downloaded 1085 times
iconfailsonSnowPup15.jpg
(75.12 KiB) Downloaded 1088 times
iconsfails.jpg
(31.29 KiB) Downloaded 1160 times

seaside

#11 Post by seaside »

I was intending to uninstall then reinstall but, after uninstalling, my save icon was still on my desktop and it apparently saved in a precisely similar manner as before uninstallation.

There is an icon called "save" that is automatically created on boot when using a pupsave file booted with either a "pmedia=usbflash" or "pmedia=ideflash". After Save-pup-lock is installed, you should only see the Save-pup-lock icon.
I know it sounds crazy, but have you tried your pet on a Lupu version.
Only in pup431 and I'll take a look at pup5
My regards

PS I nodded off to sleep at my monitor. So I'm off to bed now.
Regards,
s

seaside

#12 Post by seaside »

nooby wrote: Something goes wrong there I guess due to an error at reboot making the icons disappear with this error popping up in qrky142

Error in '/root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-filer/globicons' faile at line 2
it mention that no icons are specified and that is what one see on the pin board that we usually refer to as Desktop.

But the save-pup-lock button is there but no icon on that one either.
Nooby,

Open a terminal and type "Save-pup-lock start" and then restart X (alt-ctl-bksp) and see if the icons appear.

Thanks,
s

nooby

#13 Post by nooby »

I am in another OS now but will reboot and do as you suggested and report back in this post doing edit. Thanks.

Edit testing in Snowpuppy 15 which is close to Lupu525

sh-4.1# Save-pup-lock start
sed: can't read /etc/eventmanager: No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `/usr/sbin/snapmergepuppy': No such file or directory
sh-4.1#

did not help to restart Xwin at all. I go test in Quirky 142 now

Edit from within Quirky 142
# Save-pup-lock start
mv: cannot stat `/usr/sbin/snapmergepuppy': No such file or directory
#

Is it not kind of logical that it says so. You do mess around with it? :) So maybe something get wrong there. I only wild guess.

Are puppy 431 so different from Qurky 142.

Or could it be in what order one do things? Are you sure that one should not make a save file first and then boot with that savefile and then install the Save-pup-lock

Because now it is sda3 one time and mnt/home another time so no wonder the icons get crazy. The surprise is that not all of the icons get lost. What is different with Connect, Trash Zip and Lock?

All of them just works. That can explain what went wrong. Them not getting lost points to what went wrong if I get it.

Edit
Something that surprise me is that Quirky use SeaMonkey which is a .mozilla thing and that prevent sfs-exec from starting up Firefox

what could all that be about? :) I go test icons again.

nooby

#14 Post by nooby »

icons retain their look if one first create a pupsave file and then install the Save-pup-lock
another thing

# Save-pup-lock start
# mv: cannot stat `/usr/sbin/snapmergepuppy': No such file or directory
#

The reason is that it is renamed to snapmergepuppyHOLD but is that not what it is supposed to be in this situation to hold it from getting written to? unless one actually tell Save-pup-lock to do a save which it does.
I guess me go back to Snowpuppy 15 now and do the same there or let it wait to tomorrow too late now maybe. 22.35PM
I have to travel tomorrow so could be many hours before getting time to test again :)

Thanks indeed for caring about me.

[/code]

seaside

#15 Post by seaside »

nooby wrote:icons retain their look if one first create a pupsave file and then install the Save-pup-lock
another thing

# Save-pup-lock start
# mv: cannot stat `/usr/sbin/snapmergepuppy': No such file or directory
#

The reason is that it is renamed to snapmergepuppyHOLD but is that not what it is supposed to be in this situation to hold it from getting written to? unless one actually tell Save-pup-lock to do a save which it does.
I guess me go back to Snowpuppy 15 now and do the same there or let it wait to tomorrow too late now maybe. 22.35PM
I have to travel tomorrow so could be many hours before getting time to test again :)

Thanks indeed for caring about me.

[/code]
Nooby,

Sounds like you've got it working now and yes the file does get renamed "snapmergepuppyHOLD" so that it does not function.

Regards,
s
(Have a good trip)

nooby

#16 Post by nooby »

Nope not exactly. One lose either the icons one putthere oneself or lose the icons that should be there. So would be cool to get them back. :) 23.15 PM now so I go to bed now and I have much to do traveling away for some 6 hours so can not test much until much later.

seaside

#17 Post by seaside »

nooby wrote:Nope not exactly. One lose either the icons one putthere oneself or lose the icons that should be there. So would be cool to get them back. :) 23.15 PM now so I go to bed now and I have much to do traveling away for some 6 hours so can not test much until much later.
Nooby,

When you're ready to test, check in a terminal type "cat /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/globicons". The last line should be this "</special-files>".

Regards,
s

nooby

#18 Post by nooby »

Edit, I guess we have to look at this more carefully. No criticism at all.

I got curious on all the error messages so I started all over with a totally new install and never installed your Save-pup-lock and tried out the save that comes from ideflash being there instead.

That is where the errors start. We have to find other solutions and not use ideflash

That produced same errors and even worse error so I trust that it is not really what you changed. One most likely can not do as we do it now. One need to get what it going on better because there are too many bugs as it is set up now. I think yous should edit out all the save things from the first post to not let others go through all the wild tests :)

and you should feel good about the sfs-exec thing accomplished and put the save thing on backburner until you know more about the differences between pup431 and quirky 142 and snowpup 15 and soo on.
Now me back to bed. I hope

my older text.

Almost there. I got adventures and saved the icons from puppy 5 and then looked in the globicons and they lacked almost all of them so I copied in the rules from the older puppy and got almost all of them back.

So something goes wrong but it can be repaired if one know how to which I don't but I have to test more. I guess they disappear next time I do a save. I test that and then go back to bed. :)

seaside

#19 Post by seaside »

Nooby,

I've tried save-pup-lock "ideflash" and "usbflash' on pup431, lupu510,511 on "usbflash" and have not experienced any of this.

I set up a new save file for each one, rebooted and then installed save-pup-lock and rebooted. All icons ok.

I'm at a loss to explain what you're experiencing.

Regards,
s
(Maybe we'll just use the regular direct save and life will be easier :) )

nooby

#20 Post by nooby »

Could be something odd with my set up here.

Or one would need a very detailed step for step description to exclude that one do something in odd order.

What about the original scenario you found out you could do totally without a pupsavefile using a dir2sfs and making a zp431xxx zl525332 whatever file that loaded at boot and that way you could keep your preferred setup and still have no pupsavefile this way.

I remember vaguely that it never "took" when I booted.
Have you tested this now in Lupu525?

I prefer Snowpup5 and that one already have a zl513357? file so could that one be opened and I add my personal prefs in that one and that way need no save file?

Maybe too involved thng to deal with for newbies.

How else to do it? One could replace the challenged "corrupt" pupsavefile with a known preferred version that one copy over from a safe place and replace the corrupt one that one don't want to keep?