Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 02 Oct 2014, 08:30
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Virtualization
VMware Player 3.1.5
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 3 of 4 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Darkgame

PostPosted: Tue 03 May 2011, 01:51    Post_subject:  

must it be a 1gb sized savefile? ive tested on a 512mb savefile and it cannot run. the installer did not find the bundle file, so i use the executable to install. End up, i have a vmplayer that cannot start up. My internet connection have 3more new connection.
after restarting the computer, it works
Darkgame

PostPosted: Tue 03 May 2011, 03:03    Post_subject:  

vmplayer opens, but the vm does nothing! When i tried to close the vm, it stated: the machine is busy.
Edit: Nevermind, ive got it working. But the sfs does not work!
TheAsterisk!

PostPosted: Tue 03 May 2011, 12:12    Post_subject:  

@Darkgame:
Frankly, I don't see how a savefile's size could affect my script. I have installed VMware and packaged it myself from a 512 MB savefile before.

Secondly, if your VMware installer ends with i386 instead of bundle, you either have the wrong file or have accidentally renamed it. That could also be why my PET isn't working- it's looking for the original filename, but whatever you have isn't named correctly.

Thirdly, the pinstall.sh script in my PET does more than just execute the VMware bundle. It makes a few extra directories, and maybe an empty file, too. VMware Player will not run unless you have already made these directories.
The bundle by itself doesn't install neatly. It needs that extra help.

Finally, I don't mean to be rude, but I'm fairly sure you've done something wrong, but I can't figure out what (besides guessing you have the wrong filename) because you I can't understand from your posts what you have or haven't done with what files when.
Darkgame

PostPosted: Tue 03 May 2011, 18:41    Post_subject:  

so can u post the link to the bundle in vmware's site? That should not be illegal and bundle is not easy to find.
Edit: or u can post the name of that bundle, i will rename it to that. VM site stated its a bundle file, and firefox stated it too. I think ive renamed it.
Sorry for yr inconvience, but i just want to play my games from a usb flashdrive when i go to my friends house, and sorry for my bad english.
Darkgame

PostPosted: Thu 05 May 2011, 10:04    Post_subject:  

ok. redownloaded bundle. Everything goes well. The pet launch the bundle while installing. I cant install graphic drivers, its another problem lol. Made an sfs, gonna try tomorrow.
And, thanks alot. Hoped yr not angry!
Edit: just found out my graphic drivers pets are corrupted lol. I ran the script you have posted. The SFS does not work. Might try vmplayer 3.1.3
DanYHKim

PostPosted: Tue 24 May 2011, 17:02    Post_subject: I am very grateful for your work here
Sub_title: I'd never have figured out the extra dependency!

Thank you all so much for your contributions here. I was getting really bummed that I couldn't get VMware Player to install and run.

If it's not inappropriate, I'd like to point to a post of mine about installing VMware Player at:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=462112#462112

This post has some tips on 'fixing' the .desktop file, which never shows the icon in the menu. Also there's a bit on redirecting the Temp directory.

(Note, my tips may be out of date, since they're for earlier versions of Puppy and VMplayer)[/quote]
Luluc

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jun 2011, 20:53    Post_subject:  

I am trying, once again, to migrate to Puppy. But I MUST have VMplayer working. I still have all the problems I mentioned before: VMplayer refuses to run and complains about gconf errors, installing hald does not solve it, and I still lose my "spot" user, which I need to run the browser.
Darkgame

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jun 2011, 22:19    Post_subject:  

Luluc wrote:
I am trying, once again, to migrate to Puppy. But I MUST have VMplayer working. I still have all the problems I mentioned before: VMplayer refuses to run and complains about gconf errors, installing hald does not solve it, and I still lose my "spot" user, which I need to run the browser.

load the kernel and devx sfs before doing anything. Then install vmplayer via the pet. I got this working but not the sfs
Luluc

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun 2011, 03:04    Post_subject:  

Oh... I have managed to install it with the pet installer. But then the whole thing is installed and uses up too much space on the puppy save file. I was looking forward to using the SFS... Crying or Very sad
666philb

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun 2011, 13:59    Post_subject:  

hi luluc

i use this to unzip .pets http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=32575
once unzipped, open a terminal in the window where the unzipped .pet is, and type
Code:
dir2sfs nameoffolder

It's best to do this all in /mnt/home/ so that the .sfs isn't created inside the save file.
there is actually a .pet that does all this automatically, but i can't remember it's name.

666philb

Luluc

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun 2011, 21:09    Post_subject:  

666philb wrote:
hi luluc

i use this to unzip .pets http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=32575
once unzipped, open a terminal in the window where the unzipped .pet is, and type
Code:
dir2sfs nameoffolder

It's best to do this all in /mnt/home/ so that the .sfs isn't created inside the save file.
there is actually a .pet that does all this automatically, but i can't remember it's name.

666philb

Thanks, but I don't understand the purpose of the operation you propose. Are you suggesting I make an SFS out of the .pet? There seems to be a misunderstanding: the .pet is an installer, which sort of "slipstreams" the official VMplayer .bundle file into Puppy. Just the .pet by itself is useless.
666philb

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun 2011, 02:19    Post_subject:  

luluc

sorry i misunderstood,... on the first page of this topic there are instructions and a tar.gz script that will make the installed vmware player into an .sfs . Once done you can uninstall the .pet. and get your 300mb's of space back.

Luluc

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jun 2011, 17:05    Post_subject:  

Well, I just tried it again. Reinstalled Puppy from scratched, VMplayer was the FIRST thing I installed, to make sure there would be enough room for it in my pupsave file. Everything worked fine, except the SFS stage. The SFS now works (hald is required), but whenever that one specific SFS is loaded, the "spot" user gets blocked. I wish someone would figure that one out. I can't, I am still a newbie in these mysterious Puppy procedures.

So I have to keep VMplayer fully installed, and now I have very, very little space left for other stuff. I guess I will have to make a bigger pupsave file, which is not so good, because I plan to keep two alternate backups, so it's three times as much additional space expenditure.
TheAsterisk!

PostPosted: Wed 03 Aug 2011, 17:45    Post_subject:  

Luluc wrote:
Well, I just tried it again. Reinstalled Puppy from scratched, VMplayer was the FIRST thing I installed, to make sure there would be enough room for it in my pupsave file. Everything worked fine, except the SFS stage. The SFS now works (hald is required), but whenever that one specific SFS is loaded, the "spot" user gets blocked. I wish someone would figure that one out. I can't, I am still a newbie in these mysterious Puppy procedures.

So I have to keep VMplayer fully installed, and now I have very, very little space left for other stuff. I guess I will have to make a bigger pupsave file, which is not so good, because I plan to keep two alternate backups, so it's three times as much additional space expenditure.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why the VMware sfs kills Spot (it does it to me too), but as a quick workaround, you could aways put the actual VMware files elsewhere on your computer- another partition or something, maybe- and symlink those to the proper locations.
If the regular install does not meddle with Spot, please let me know that, and I can just make an alternate installer script for you (and others, if they like) that places the VMware files into /mnt/home/some_subdir/ instead, and then links those back into the savefile. That should keep your pupsave from getting too crowded.

I'll get on it now, and if you like the idea, I'll upload the script for you. Let me know!
Luluc

PostPosted: Sat 06 Aug 2011, 20:53    Post_subject:  

Yes, I would like to move and symlink vmplayer out of my pupsave file. If you just tell me where it is, i.e. what files need to be moved, that's fine. A script wouldn't be bad at all though. It likely would be more useful to more people, and I can read almost any shell scripting language, I can certainly get the information I want from your script.

Thank you for your attention.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 3 of 4 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Virtualization
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum