Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 23 Apr 2014, 21:55
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Lucid 525 lite + experimental Lucid lite 2.6.38.4 - v004
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 8 of 11 [160 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
Author Message
stu90


Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Posts: 1401
Location: England. Dell Inspiron 1501. Dpup

PostPosted: Fri 06 May 2011, 05:59    Post subject:  

James C wrote:
Fresh manual frugal install of the latest Lucid lite 003 W/2.6.38.4.

Initial boot, booted directly to a prompt.Ran xorgwizard and got desired 1024x768 resolution..
No internet at boot either, ran Network Wizard and acquired connection (wired dsl).Persistent after reboot.
As you probably guessed by now, no sound on initial boot either.Ran Alsawizard and got it working but on reboot no sound again.Just got it working again and rebooting now. OK, sound is working on the second reboot. Smile Everything is now working, just took a little tweaking.

Computer
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Memory 512MB (61MB used)
Operating System Puppy Linux 0.52
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Fri 06 May 2011 12:59:33 AM CDT
Display
Resolution 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Unknown
X11 Vendor (null)
Multimedia
Audio Adapter ICH4 - Intel ICH5

VGA compatible controller Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
Multimedia audio controller Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
Ethernet controller Intel Corporation 82562EZ 10/100 Ethernet Controller (rev 02)

Version
Kernel Linux 2.6.38.4 (i686)
Compiled #2 SMP PREEMPT Thu May 5 16:33:08 GMT-8 2011
C Library GNU C Library version 2.11.1 (stable)
Default C Compiler Unknown
Distribution Puppy Linux 0.52


Hi James C,
Blimey that doesn't sound good Shocked
i don't think it would be new sound fix causing it, i don't know, i haven't encountered any of these problems with my frugal installs - maybe i need to do a rebuild of 003?
You probably already tried but can you check to make sure md5 match.
392dd6698b556c1f22f2972147b45ca6
thanks.

Oops in trouble now.
Just been round to my parents house to see if 003 would run on some computer other than my own .
Good news. on my mothers windows 7 laptop duel core, 3 gig ram nvida booted to desktop, sound etc ok.
Bad news. as i was waiting for 003 to boot i was playing with one of the dogs who got a bit lively did a 360 spin and smashed into the fireguard sending it shooting along the hearth smashing my mothers ornaments and candle holders. Shocked only surviver is a candle holder i broke in the past then super glued back together with out her knowing Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
James C


Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Posts: 5453
Location: Kentucky

PostPosted: Fri 06 May 2011, 14:48    Post subject:  

stu90 wrote:
James C wrote:
Fresh manual frugal install of the latest Lucid lite 003 W/2.6.38.4.

Initial boot, booted directly to a prompt.Ran xorgwizard and got desired 1024x768 resolution..
No internet at boot either, ran Network Wizard and acquired connection (wired dsl).Persistent after reboot.
As you probably guessed by now, no sound on initial boot either.Ran Alsawizard and got it working but on reboot no sound again.Just got it working again and rebooting now. OK, sound is working on the second reboot. Smile Everything is now working, just took a little tweaking.

Computer
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Memory 512MB (61MB used)
Operating System Puppy Linux 0.52
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Fri 06 May 2011 12:59:33 AM CDT
Display
Resolution 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Unknown
X11 Vendor (null)
Multimedia
Audio Adapter ICH4 - Intel ICH5

VGA compatible controller Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
Multimedia audio controller Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
Ethernet controller Intel Corporation 82562EZ 10/100 Ethernet Controller (rev 02)

Version
Kernel Linux 2.6.38.4 (i686)
Compiled #2 SMP PREEMPT Thu May 5 16:33:08 GMT-8 2011
C Library GNU C Library version 2.11.1 (stable)
Default C Compiler Unknown
Distribution Puppy Linux 0.52


Hi James C,
Blimey that doesn't sound good Shocked
i don't think it would be new sound fix causing it, i don't know, i haven't encountered any of these problems with my frugal installs - maybe i need to do a rebuild of 003?
You probably already tried but can you check to make sure md5 match.
392dd6698b556c1f22f2972147b45ca6
thanks.

Oops in trouble now.
Just been round to my parents house to see if 003 would run on some computer other than my own .
Good news. on my mothers windows 7 laptop duel core, 3 gig ram nvida booted to desktop, sound etc ok.
Bad news. as i was waiting for 003 to boot i was playing with one of the dogs who got a bit lively did a 360 spin and smashed into the fireguard sending it shooting along the hearth smashing my mothers ornaments and candle holders. Shocked only surviver is a candle holder i broke in the past then super glued back together with out her knowing Laughing



MD5 here is 392dd6698b556c1f22f2972147b45ca6 so that's verified.

Just to make sure everything copied correctly, I'll redo the install a bit later and update the progress.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
James C


Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Posts: 5453
Location: Kentucky

PostPosted: Fri 06 May 2011, 19:01    Post subject:  

Just to double check everything, I re-downloaded, re-checked the MD5 and re-installed. Exactly the same results. No internet or sound on boot.

Got everything working again but no sound icon in taskbar.Watching a fullscreen Youtube video right now.No problem.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
James C


Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Posts: 5453
Location: Kentucky

PostPosted: Fri 06 May 2011, 19:07    Post subject:  

For some reason Lucid 525 has sound problems with these new kernels.Playdayz built a test release with EZ Woof and had sound problems.I manually changed the kernel,modules .etc. in 525 and had, you guessed it, sound problems. Smile

Isn't experimenting with new kernels fun..... Laughing

EDIT: Sound icon in taskbar came back when I rebooted.
2011-05-06_18-29-25-thumb.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   34.64 KB
 Viewed   873 Time(s)

2011-05-06_18-29-25-thumb.jpg

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
stu90


Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Posts: 1401
Location: England. Dell Inspiron 1501. Dpup

PostPosted: Sat 07 May 2011, 02:31    Post subject:  

Hi James C thank you for testing again.

I guess something must have gone wrong in 003 so i wanted to change as little as possible for this time - this upload is a standard 525 with nothing stripped out.
Only changes are made with EZ-woof - using Pemasu's 2.6.38.4 lupe-19 kernel, alsa mod, different theme and wallpaper.




http://smokey01.com/stu90/lupu-525.iso
md5: 856321429f53430739fe91efc7f42584

cheers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Iguleder


Joined: 11 Aug 2009
Posts: 1776
Location: Israel, somewhere in the beautiful desert

PostPosted: Sat 07 May 2011, 02:49    Post subject:  

I'm currently compiling a tweaked 2.6.38.5 with BFS and some other tweaks, would you like me to upload it? I'm trying to make a 5.2.5 with this kernel so I can replace my current OS (my own spup remix, Teh Gray Puppy) with it, since Lupu's 2.6.33 is too old for my netbook.

This kernel has BFS, latest Aufs, a limit of 3 terminals instead of 8 (saves some memory), a scheduler tweak taken from -ck3 and tons of drivers. It also has Squashfs support for both LZO and XZ, which I'm going to try out now - I'm going to build my tweaked 5.2.5 with XZ compression. Cool

_________________
My homepage
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger 
ICQ Number 
James C


Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Posts: 5453
Location: Kentucky

PostPosted: Sat 07 May 2011, 03:11    Post subject:  

stu90 wrote:
Hi James C thank you for testing again.

I guess something must have gone wrong in 003 so i wanted to change as little as possible for this time - this upload is a standard 525 with nothing stripped out.
Only changes are made with EZ-woof - using Pemasu's 2.6.38.4 lupe-19 kernel, alsa mod, different theme and wallpaper.




http://smokey01.com/stu90/lupu-525.iso
md5: 856321429f53430739fe91efc7f42584

cheers.


Downloading right now......but since it's after 2 am not testing till I get some sleep. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
James C


Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Posts: 5453
Location: Kentucky

PostPosted: Sat 07 May 2011, 03:17    Post subject:  

Iguleder wrote:
I'm currently compiling a tweaked 2.6.38.5 with BFS and some other tweaks, would you like me to upload it? I'm trying to make a 5.2.5 with this kernel so I can replace my current OS (my own spup remix, Teh Gray Puppy) with it, since Lupu's 2.6.33 is too old for my netbook.

This kernel has BFS, latest Aufs, a limit of 3 terminals instead of 8 (saves some memory), a scheduler tweak taken from -ck3 and tons of drivers. It also has Squashfs support for both LZO and XZ, which I'm going to try out now - I'm going to build my tweaked 5.2.5 with XZ compression. Cool


Several of us are testing these new kernels, and I'd like to try your new build so you might as well upload it and get some free testing. Smile
You've always done good work so looking forward to trying it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
nooby

Joined: 29 Jun 2008
Posts: 10522
Location: SwedenEurope

PostPosted: Sat 07 May 2011, 03:46    Post subject:  

Stu I am back and it behaved as the 526 did yesterday in that sound was loud as should be 100% and xorg did not start on its own and xwin did not start either. Apart from that it appears to behave like what pemasu has on his experiments too.

On my gear it refuse to show temperature sensor. I maybe should activate it in Terminal and I do have that in Notes somewhere but I am lazy just now.

What else should I test on it? oops I am using Seaside's SFS-Exec now I test if it allow me to uninstall the Firefox I loaded Yes looks normal to me which it did not in latest Wary but that one is still highly experimental.

So wish I knew more on how to help you solve this thing with xorg and xwin not starting normally.

Maybe Acer D250 is a very unusual beast. it uses Intel 945 chips and them are known to be problematic are they not. Famous even Smile

_________________
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
stu90


Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Posts: 1401
Location: England. Dell Inspiron 1501. Dpup

PostPosted: Sat 07 May 2011, 06:51    Post subject:  

Iguleder wrote:
I'm currently compiling a tweaked 2.6.38.5 with BFS and some other tweaks, would you like me to upload it? I'm trying to make a 5.2.5 with this kernel so I can replace my current OS (my own spup remix, Teh Gray Puppy) with it, since Lupu's 2.6.33 is too old for my netbook.

This kernel has BFS, latest Aufs, a limit of 3 terminals instead of 8 (saves some memory), a scheduler tweak taken from -ck3 and tons of drivers. It also has Squashfs support for both LZO and XZ, which I'm going to try out now - I'm going to build my tweaked 5.2.5 with XZ compression. Cool


Hi Iguleder,
Sure thing i will give it a try Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
nooby

Joined: 29 Jun 2008
Posts: 10522
Location: SwedenEurope

PostPosted: Sat 07 May 2011, 06:55    Post subject:  

Iguleder I don't mind trying it out on my Acer Netbook too. Smile
_________________
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Iguleder


Joined: 11 Aug 2009
Posts: 1776
Location: Israel, somewhere in the beautiful desert

PostPosted: Sat 07 May 2011, 06:58    Post subject:  

Kernel panic Laughing

Recompiling my kernel, this time with some stuff added. I think I know what causes this problem and I really hope this isn't the lovely BFS.

By the way, I'm at ~75% of my T2 build, if everything goes according to plan A, I'll build a tpup with a full Bluetooth stack, Wicd and this kernel.

_________________
My homepage
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger 
ICQ Number 
stu90


Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Posts: 1401
Location: England. Dell Inspiron 1501. Dpup

PostPosted: Sat 07 May 2011, 06:59    Post subject:  

nooby wrote:
Stu I am back and it behaved as the 526 did yesterday in that sound was loud as should be 100% and xorg did not start on its own and xwin did not start either. Apart from that it appears to behave like what pemasu has on his experiments too.

On my gear it refuse to show temperature sensor. I maybe should activate it in Terminal and I do have that in Notes somewhere but I am lazy just now.

What else should I test on it? oops I am using Seaside's SFS-Exec now I test if it allow me to uninstall the Firefox I loaded Yes looks normal to me which it did not in latest Wary but that one is still highly experimental.

So wish I knew more on how to help you solve this thing with xorg and xwin not starting normally.

Maybe Acer D250 is a very unusual beast. it uses Intel 945 chips and them are known to be problematic are they not. Famous even Smile

Hi Nooby thanks for the report - i wonder what it making it do this. For this upload i made sure to start with a fresh EZ-woof and changed very little Sad

Regarding batter and CPU temp - the normal puppy ones don't work with these newer kernels - Pemasu made some replacement .pets here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=517017#517017
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
stu90


Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Posts: 1401
Location: England. Dell Inspiron 1501. Dpup

PostPosted: Sat 07 May 2011, 07:03    Post subject:  

Iguleder wrote:
Kernel panic Laughing

Recompiling my kernel, this time with some stuff added. I think I know what causes this problem and I really hope this isn't the lovely BFS.

By the way, I'm at ~75% of my T2 build, if everything goes according to plan A, I'll build a tpup with a full Bluetooth stack, Wicd and this kernel.


New kernel + Bluetooth + Wicd

sounds good Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
nooby

Joined: 29 Jun 2008
Posts: 10522
Location: SwedenEurope

PostPosted: Sat 07 May 2011, 07:21    Post subject:  

I need to test it further then using those pets to see if it does show temperature. I remember that Acer D255 is different. It uses the N470 and not N270 as my current machine use. D255 did show temperature out of the box was high from start. some 40 Celcius going up to 58 or so and setting on a noisy fan and then fan and fan and fan until down to 48 Celcius or so, I don't remember but it was so noisy that I promised to only boot it up if this machine break it's hdd or so. I hate noise.

But that machine did show thermal going up and down while this D250 has it set on 28 and it stay there regardless of fan starts or not. So it can not show the correct therm at all.

_________________
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 8 of 11 [160 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1225s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0375s) ][ GZIP on ]