Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 01 Sep 2014, 10:41
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge » Multi-session live-CD/DVD
Problem continuing a multisession CD. (Solved)
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 3 [45 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
WindUpToy

PostPosted: Fri 13 May 2011, 02:02    Post subject:  Problem continuing a multisession CD. (Solved)  

I have a multisession CD which has filled up.
I have tried to get it to continue on a fresh CD copy of the original Puppy 520 disc, but it won't do it.
I tried with a closed disc, and an unclosed disc. No joy.

Tried copying the disc with Pburn, but it does't pick up the saved folders.
Tried with dd, but the resulting disc won't boot.
Tried manually with IsoMaster, but it won't boot.

The full multi disc still works ok, I am using it to be online now.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by WindUpToy on Fri 13 May 2011, 19:01; edited 1 time in total
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Fri 13 May 2011, 10:12    Post subject:  

Boot the full CD in a burner drive, then use Menu -> Multimedia -> Burniso2cd to burn a new CD with the same iso used to make the CD that is now full. Leave the newly burned CD in the burner. Either click the Save icon on the desktop or Menu -> Shutdown -> Reboot and then Save to CD. Everything you've saved on the full CD will be transferred to the first session of the newly burned CD. This includes all the settings you've made and programs you've installed, plus whatever junk may have accumulated in, for instance, your browser's cache or your email client's various hidden places. So it would be a good idea to do some housekeeping before you save to the newly burned CD. When you boot the newly burned CD, the computer should be in exactly the same state as if you'd booted the old CD, except for whatever changes you might have made just before you saved that first session to the new CD. By the way, you can tell SeaMonkey to put it's cache in /tmp so that the contents of the cache are not saved when you shut down.
8-bit

PostPosted: Fri 13 May 2011, 12:34    Post subject:  

Flash! You the man!
I may be wrong, but I think your reply has merits of being a sticky on the forum!
I had the same problem at one time, but kept it to myself and booted by other means than a multi-session CD.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Fri 13 May 2011, 13:51    Post subject:  

Thank you. I'm glad it was helpful to someone. Smile

I use a DVD instead of a CD, but multisession Puppy treats both exactly the same. DVDs work better for multisession than CDs and, of course, they hold more.

If you run multisession Puppy from a rewritable CD or DVD, you don't even have to put in a new disk; Burniso2cd will burn the iso to the multisession disk you've been running Puppy from, then it is burned you just Save to it. The danger is that if the burning or save process doesn't go right, you no longer have your old multisession disk to fall back on. So it's better to transfer to a different disk. I use DVD+RWs and leapfrog them. Once I'm sure the new disk works, the old one goes into the pile to be reused for the next test.

By the way, you can upgrade to new versions of Puppy the same way. As long as the new version of Puppy is not too different, most all of your settings and programs will transfer. And, once again, if it doesn't work you have the old disk to fall back on. It's a painless way to try out new Puppys.
WindUpToy

PostPosted: Fri 13 May 2011, 19:00    Post subject:
Subject description: SOLVED

That did it.
I thought I was looking at having to spend hours reconstructing a new disc.

And you are right about DVD+RW. They write faster, and seem to read faster, apart from the other obvious benefits.

Thank you so much for that.
You are not just a pretty face. Smile
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sat 14 May 2011, 00:30    Post subject:  

I use the mini-DVD+RWs meant for Sony camcorders. They are scratch-resistant and hold 1.4 GB; perfect for multisession Puppy.
technosaurus

PostPosted: Sat 14 May 2011, 01:06    Post subject:  

Or add it to /usr/share/doc

Actually that just gave me an idea for improving documentation.
Each pet gets a block of html that starts with a #target so that it could be built into the dynamically built main help page ... and easy to make a table of contents or to link to in scripts.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sat 14 May 2011, 08:02    Post subject:  

Technosaurus, I think you may have posted that one in the wrong thread. Smile I can't move it to another thread, only start a new thread with it, so you'll have to copy it into a post in the right place and then let me know. I'll delete it.
technosaurus

PostPosted: Sat 14 May 2011, 11:04    Post subject:  

not this time, just should have quoted 8 bit
8-bit wrote:
Flash! You the man!
I may be wrong, but I think your reply has merits of being a sticky on the forum!
I had the same problem at one time, but kept it to myself and booted by other means than a multi-session CD.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sat 14 May 2011, 11:28    Post subject:  

Ah, I see.

The problem with stickys is there are so many and few people pay any attention to them anyway. Especially beginners.

An index of various subjects and topics, with links to relevant posts and threads, works best I think, but is a real pain to create and maintain with the forum software. I made one such index as an experiment for the Beginners help section, but lost interest when maintaining it proved to be unwieldy. Since then, I've thought of doing the editing outside the forum's compose window and pasting the edited text in the window. Maybe I'll get back to it someday.
bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 14 May 2011, 12:37    Post subject:  

Flash wrote:
Boot the full CD in a burner drive, then use Menu -> Multimedia -> Burniso2cd to burn a new CD with the same iso used to make the CD that is now full. Leave the newly burned CD in the burner. Either click the Save icon on the desktop or Menu -> Shutdown -> Reboot and then Save to CD. Everything you've saved on the full CD will be transferred to the first session of the newly burned CD.

Question?
For this to work, do you need enough memory, so that all of what is on the full CD is in memory?
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sat 14 May 2011, 21:04    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:
... Question?
For this to work, do you need enough memory, so that all of what is on the full CD is in memory?

I'm not too clear on what happens as Puppy loads sessions from a multisession CD or DVD. I suppose that every session is loaded into RAM before the Aufs filesystem combines them, so that if for instance in the most recently saved session you've deleted something that was in an earlier session, the final result is that the RAM does not contain whatever was deleted.

One reason I'm unclear how this works is that multisession Puppy loads the sessions beginning with the newest and proceeding to the oldest session. I recently experimented with reversing that order, so that the oldest session loads first and the newest loads last, and it didn't seem to make any difference. From that I deduce that all the sessions must be loaded into RAM before Aufs combines them.

In short, the general answer to your question has to be that the sessions on the CD or DVD are all loaded into RAM during the boot process even though the final result after everything is combined by Aufs might be much smaller than the total. If you don't have enough RAM to hold everything, a swap partition would provide the temporary storage needed.

There is also a simple way to save stuff to the DVD in sessions that are ignored by Puppy when it boots. These sessions are visible by mounting the DVD after Puppy boots. As an experiment I saved several GB of mp3 books to a multisession Puppy DVD that way, back when I only had 512 MB of RAM.
Sky Aisling

PostPosted: Fri 04 Oct 2013, 00:15    Post subject: Problem continuing a multisession CD. (Solved)
Subject description: Sessions Building on CD r/w. Is this right?

I'm hoping I'm placing this post appropriately.
I've search the forum and this thread seems to be the closest to my question.

I've managed to create a Live CD r/w with multiple sessions (the store that sells DVDs is closed, so, I used CD/r/w that I had on hand.)

There seem to be save folders building up on the CD. Is this right? Won't they get too big for a 700mg CD pretty fast? I've only booted up three times.
I tried deleting the older folders,but, all that happened was they stayed on the CD and a copy went into the trash.
Multi-sessions-test1.png
 Description   
 Filesize   40.98 KB
 Viewed   327 Time(s)

Multi-sessions-test1.png

Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Fri 04 Oct 2013, 01:13    Post subject:  

In that ROX window you show, if you ctrl-A (to choose everything), then right-click on what you chose and select Count from the menu, you can see how much of the CD has been filled. Saving sessions does take up more room on a CD than it does on a DVD, but unless you're installing large programs, you can save many sessions on a CD before it's filled up.

You don't have to save every time you shut down. If you haven't done anything that you want to save, just hold the power button in until the computer shuts off. Since multisession Puppy runs entirely in RAM, everything will go poof when the power shuts off. The next time you boot, Puppy will be as it was the last time you booted it. No need to save unless you change something and you want the change to persist. By the way, this makes multisession Puppy excellent for trying out programs. If you find that you don't really want to keep the program, don't save when you shut down.

Does that help? Just use multisession Puppy for a while and everything will become clear. Smile
Sky Aisling

PostPosted: Fri 04 Oct 2013, 14:07    Post subject: Problem continuing a multisession CD. (Solved)
Subject description: First try at using a multisession disk

Thank you, Flash
Yes, this is most helpful.

One final question:
Is there is way to erase the saved folders and start over?
Or once the directories have been created do they stay forever?

Why I am experimenting with r/w disk media:
I am preparing to show Puppy to a person who educates seniors on the use of a computer system. She is ready to explore something else besides M$. I find so many people are put off by the graphics of the nascent Puppy desktop. So, I wanted to pop in a disk with an attractive background and attractive background choices, plus other goody enhancements.
In my experience, most people who are new to Puppy struggle to understand that they have control of the Puppy system, not just the 'on' and 'off' button. They are afraid to 'touch' anything for fear of never finding it again.

Multisession disk method looks like a handy, simple way of presenting Puppy.
Thank you, again.
Flash-Multisessions2x.png
 Description   
 Filesize   226.97 KB
 Viewed   303 Time(s)

Flash-Multisessions2x.png

Page 1 of 3 [45 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge » Multi-session live-CD/DVD
Jump to: