Check Vista requirements. Don't you just love Puppy's?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
rarsa

#1 Post by rarsa »

Microsoft has released the recommended specs for Vista:

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6073 ... ag=nl.e589

The minimum recommended:
Vista-capable specifications:
Systems need an 800 MHz processor, 512MB of memory, a 20GB hard drive with 15GB of free space and a CD-ROM drive. That guarantees access to [just the] Vista's core features.

So no fancy graphics or eyecandy.
My experience with Windows minimum requirements is: It will run the OS. If you need to really run apps, then add up the requirements for your app.

Of course, here I'm preaching to the converted.
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

marksouth2000

Not so sure...

#2 Post by marksouth2000 »

Rarsa, while Puppy is a long way off needing what Vista does, it seems that the little dog is growing rapidly. Like 109CE only running well with 256Mb because Firefox is a hog. And every few minutes someone is asking for KDE or Apache or OpenOffice to be part of the base system. There appears to be the danger that at this rate Puppy will become another bloated Linux distro with lots of eye candy, big bloated apps, and huge system requirements.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that Puppy is special only inasmuch as it keeps on a different track from other distros. There's no point trying to be like Ubuntu or Fedora or Suse or Mandriva. And I'd be happier knowing that Puppy will always run well on modest and older hardware.

What's your take on where it's all headed?

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

Today we just fooled around in my A.P. Calculus class. I read the rest of the comics I brought with me (I thought ten would be enough for the whole day, but I finished shortly after lunch), played my DS until the battery died (3 minutes), then went to the board and drew stuff while standing on my sister's skateboard (I had borrowed it for an extra in my Econimics project). I drew a rotten apple, a penguin with a gun and halo, and a bleeding window-flag floating in an aura of evil above a pool of its own blood. Then I labled the penguin as "Tux, cyber savior" and mentioned that he eats apples for breakfast, lunch, supper, and snacks. There were also some random pi-hungry aligators, blue hedgehogs, red echidnas, mystical gems, etc.

I ran out of time and didn't put a Puppy up. Sure, I could have done it while I was drawing Sonic and co, but frankly I like Sonic even more than Puppy, and that's saying something. Hey, he's been my favorite super hero since I was six. I've known Puppy just over a year. It's right up there, though.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

rarsa

Re: Not so sure...

#4 Post by rarsa »

marksouth2000 wrote:Like 109CE only running well with 256Mb because Firefox is a hog.
It was quite unfortunate that no one tested the alphas or betas in a limited resources computer. My 'smallest' computer is PII 400 with 196MB and it runs Firefox well.

Part of learning. Next time we'll make sure we include testers with 'minimal spec' computers.
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

raffy

Always limited

#5 Post by raffy »

My test machine is always a limited-resource computer of Celeron 400 CPU and 128 MB RAM. Puppy with Firefox has been running in this machine since version 0.9.6 (?). :)

I guess the point of including the Dillo browser is to get Puppy working fast even in more limited-resource PCs (more limited than the Celeron 400, that is).

Puppy is easy enough to remaster to make a smaller ISO without Firefox for truly ageing PCs. (Huh, maybe someone can do this now, for a "barebone" 1.09?)

dewdrop

#6 Post by dewdrop »

Hi Pups,

Just my 2 cents on the size of Puppy. I normally load/use Puppy from CD, and have lots of RAM...new machine, etc. But, wouldn't what I do - see next paragraph - also work on an "older" machine?

Just for kicks I have Ubuntu on the hard drive with all the "big" programs installed on it. Then I try to use the chroot command and see if I can get those programs that are installed in Ubuntu to run in Puppy. So far, I have gnucash, Open Office 2 - all 4 programs, Firefox, GIMP, and RealPlayer, useable while in Puppy 1.0.9CE.

EDIT...................

...see attached screenshot with 3 of the above programs running all at once.

I also get to use the hard drive as a place to store whatever I want or need to save from working with the other programs while in Puppy.

Dewdrop

rtowen

#7 Post by rtowen »

I got a Vista Beta 2 off Ebay for

kalleanka

#8 Post by kalleanka »

Vista is a good thing for linux since all the old computers get civen away, thrown to the bin etc and I the industrial world its only to pick up a computer and these computers do run something like puppy.

The problem is to get conected to the net often thats the expensive part for a poor family.

Basu

#9 Post by Basu »

I agree with kalleanka. It would really be good if someone started an organization solely devoted to the purpose of recycling usable computer hardware. There are a large number of people who would benefit from an initiative like this including poor students and FLOSS developers.

karst

#10 Post by karst »

Basu wrote:I agree with kalleanka. It would really be good if someone started an organization solely devoted to the purpose of recycling usable computer hardware. There are a large number of people who would benefit from an initiative like this including poor students and FLOSS developers.
There is one I am familiar with, but it mainly serves the U.S. and U.K..

www.sharetechnology.org

Currently they are having database problems, but in the past I have used them to find schools and individuals in need of older PC's. I'm always suprised at the number of public schools out there still using Apple IIC's. Last year I donated some rehabilitated systems with 650Mhz Durons and 8MB video cards. Although I have to admit the systems I donated had Win98SE on them.
Compaq 7360
500Mhz AMD-K6
Socket 7 "camaro" motherboard with stock bios
stock 40x CD drive
stock Floppy
4.3 Gig HD 3.3Gig primary partition 1Gig Swap
Onboard video and sound
dynex DX-E101 NIC 10/100
128MB PC66 Ram 8MB set aside for video

seldomseen

#11 Post by seldomseen »

.o0{Hoo boy ... more dumpster diving!!}

I

Sage

#12 Post by Sage »

Yes, Vista promises to be a veritable cornucopia of spares and yet another gold-plated opportunity for the penguin.