Wary Puppy 5.1.4 - 29 August 2011

Please post any bugs you have found
rjbrewer

#61 Post by rjbrewer »

Did the sound test on my full install.

It knocked out sound and wireless module. (same as the others)

Caused the dreaded long count of usb, pcmcia modules to return.

Just reran upgrade from cd to fix everything.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

grndoor

BarryK's replacement for "pup_event_backend_modprobe"

#62 Post by grndoor »

The permission level for BarryK's replacement for "pup_event_backend_modprobe", extracted from his "pup_event_backend_modprobe.gz" file, is not set "executable".

If you change the permission level to "executable", most of the previous problems should hopefully disappear.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#63 Post by BarryK »

Guys,
I should have said that...

Right-click on /sbin/pup_event_backend_modprobe, choose "Properties" and make sure that the "execute" checkboxes are ticked.

You guys who reported failure, would you kindly do the test again?

Anyway, for the future, always remember:
Whenever you install any script that has been downloaded, you always have to check that it is set to be executable.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Billtoo

#64 Post by Billtoo »

BarryK wrote:Guys,
I should have said that...

Right-click on /sbin/pup_event_backend_modprobe, choose "Properties" and make sure that the "execute" checkboxes are ticked.

You guys who reported failure, would you kindly do the test again?

Anyway, for the future, always remember:
Whenever you install any script that has been downloaded, you always have to check that it is set to be executable.

Yes, I did the exercise again and changed the permissions.
After rebooting to create the save file sound and network are good.
Attachments
image-1.png
(5.89 KiB) Downloaded 1461 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

#65 Post by BarryK »

Sage wrote:
Interesting! LiveCD initially gives : 'Mouse hasn't moved so maybe...' message: ignored and deleted. Give a man a chance to get there!
Waving souris over message box at top gives blank screen for 30(?)s. - too long; but patience is eventually rewarded.
No sign of fido - yet.
I was nonplussed by Sage's report, still am partly, but finally I kind of understand how the "blank screen" is occurring ...maybe.

When X is started for the first time, if the mouse pointer is not moved within several seconds, a window pops up asking if your mouse is working. If not, you can choose, by keyboard input, usb/ps2 or serial mouse. However, if your mouse is working, the text in the window says this:

"If your mouse is working, choose <Cancel> button"

It seems that Sage ignored that information and made the choice of mouse interface, which causes X to restart. On my laptop, with only 1.4GHz CPU and 512MB RAM, X restarts in about 3 seconds.

I presume that if Sage is using an ancient CPU, the restart could be longer than that, but I have no idea how the blank screen of 30 seconds could happen -- a 140MHz CPU?.

Sage's report above states that waving mouse pointer over the "message box at top gives blank screen" -- no it doesn't, the message box just disappears. It is only after making a selection in the mouse-choice window as described above, that the screen becomes blank for a short time.

Anyway, I have taken out that mouse-choice window. I introduced it for the case of X auto-starting without running the Xorg Wizard. I have added a condition into /usr/bin/xwin such that the mouse-choice window will only popup if X has been started without the Xorg Wizard.

Bottom line: the mouse-choice window is gone.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#66 Post by BarryK »

rcrsn51 wrote:Boot off LIve CD
Select Xorg video
Wait 10 seconds
Get the "Your mouse has not moved" message
Select usb/ps2 and click OK (the mouse is USB)
Screen refreshes
Mouse pointer disappears!
A full reboot is required.

Boot off Live CD
Select Xvesa
Don't get the Welcome popup message
Mouse works correctly
That puzzles me. See previous message. I tested by choosing usb/ps2, and X restarted, usb mouse still working.

Anyway, that window has been taken out.

JonT

#67 Post by JonT »

BarryK wrote:You guys who reported failure, would you kindly do the test again?
Redid it. Sound and network working fine. No alsawizard needed. Will remember to check executable boxes.

rjbrewer

#68 Post by rjbrewer »

Redid the sound test and everything is fine this time; I wasn't
having sound problems in the first place.

On initial install, did have to change time setting by 2 hours on
this laptop and 5 hours on the pc.

Still needs the rox right click icon menu popup fix, like earlier versions.

Full installs

Sage

#69 Post by Sage »

I was nonplussed by Sage's report....
- and so am I by a snappy response!

Basically what I reported is correct and I am no longer using any cpu <=~2GHz or <=512Mb mem. despite the intended aims of Wary.
It is true, however, that I am not clicking the <Cancel> button on the mouse discovery box - since it is/was abundantly evident that the mouse is/was working correctly; I simply deleted the mouse discovery box with top right X because the appearance of this box, now deleted, was counter-intuitive at best, misleading and erroneous at worst.

And so to the top message box - it behaves exactly as reported. It has/had nothing to do with the mouse box. The screen blanking continues to occur for highly irreproducible periods, although its occurrence is reproducible, All my present video cards might be considered 'modern' 3-notch' 1.5V AGP or later. If I am testing really old HW, this will always be stated. This is particularly important when I use old ISA sound cards which provide superior performance than recent junk.

Respect for users of SW is just as vital to the well-being of the IT field as coders: no users, no point. Linux only began its surge after nearly a decade of users being treated as third class citizens by developers. That it is now succeeding is as much due to hatred of the nasty capitalist greed of Redmond as the thrill of seeking out new solutions and co-operation with folks of equal intellect from different disciplines. All men are born equal but may possess different talents. At death they yield more or less the same amount of cobalt atoms.

tronkel

#70 Post by tronkel »

Sage wrote:
no users, no point
or also:
no real-world benefit, no point
Yes, this is a fundamental truth as far as computing is concerned.

All computer programs are a model or abstraction of something in the real world. No point in programming a model that is useless for any purpose.

Theoreticians/researchers may well disagree with this, but the real purpose of their efforts is to make something useful albeit later rather than sooner.

IMHO
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

broomdodger

screen saver bug

#71 Post by broomdodger »

wary 5.1.1.56 and 5.1.1.53 screen saver bug

Menu > Desktop > pupX set properties of X > Screensaver
+ enable screen saver
+ check blank screen rather than pattern

+ wary starts screen saver with blank screen,
+ but key or mouse will only return to show the mouse pointer,
+ can reboot computer blindly

+ uncheck blank screen,
+ screen saver "X" is displayed and
+ returns to wary ok

both of these settings work ok in wary 5.1.1

IBM ThinkPad X30
-Processor-
Name : Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) III CPU - M 1200MHz
Family, model, stepping : 6, 11, 4 (Pentium III/Pentium III Xeon/Celeron)
Vendor : Intel
-Configuration-
Cache Size : 512kb
Frequency : 1198.90MHz
BogoMIPS : 2397.80
Byte Order : Little Endian

122732 report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Wary Puppy, version 5.1.1.56

Chip description:
Intel Corporation 82830 CGC [Chipset Graphics Controller]
Intel Corporation 82830 CGC [Chipset Graphics Controller]

Driver used by Xorg:
intel

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

-Bill

rjbrewer

#72 Post by rjbrewer »

broomdodger;

All I do is uncheck blank screen.
Click okay. Nothing else, works fine.

Full installs

rerwin

Sound change report - with- and without ALSA modem

#73 Post by rerwin »

On my PC with only a normal (intel8x0) sound card and the two files, upon reboot, the sound operates normally. And further reboots are also normal.

However, if I start the alsawizard and then immediately either cancel out of it or say "no" to saving the new settings (after making no changes), the sound no longer works. Running aplay from a console yields the following:
# aplay /usr/share/audio/2barks.au
ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:4154:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:4154:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:4154:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4633:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2211:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
aplay: main:608: audio open error: No such file or directory
#
But rebooting after that restores the sound function. Also, if I say "yes" to saving the new settings, the sound continues to work.

I then tested the new files on a Thinkpad with a built-in (ALSA) modem. All (including pupdial) went normally until I tried the alsawizard test. After canceling out of the wizard, neither sound nor the modem would work. Modemtest could not see the modem. But a reboot restored both.

I then tried the alsawizard test on wary without the fix and found that it behaves the same as above after the cancel-out. So, this is apparently a longstanding issue. The search for sound cards must damage the current settings; the wizard probably should restore them if the new settings are not saved.

As a further test, I ran the wizard and let it save the new settings. The sound continued to work, but the modem could not be seen by pupdial/modemtest. (I trust that a reboot would again restore the modem.)
Richard

broomdodger

re: screen saver bug

#74 Post by broomdodger »

rjbrewer wrote:broomdodger;
Yes... I mentioned that in my post.

The default is blank screen, it is broken and needs fixing.

It was working in wary 5.1.1

-Bill

rjbrewer

Re: re: screen saver bug

#75 Post by rjbrewer »

broomdodger wrote:
rjbrewer wrote:broomdodger;
Yes... I mentioned that in my post.

The default is blank screen, it is broken and needs fixing.

It was working in wary 5.1.1

-Bill
? Default is working okay too.

Full installs

rodin.s

sound test on ESS1868

#76 Post by rodin.s »

No sound after replacing files on ISA soundcard ES1868. Sound setup with alsaconf or modprobe snd_es18xx.

Sage

#77 Post by Sage »

No sound after replacing files on ISA soundcard ES1868.
Unless you do a FULL installation an ISA card will need to be re-detected manually every time because the ISA bus is no longer scanned automatically. Or so I have been advised.

rerwin

Simpler way to specify default sound card

#78 Post by rerwin »

In "ALSA Wiki" http://alsa.opensrc.org/MultipleCards#H ... lled_cards I found this method of specifying the driver(s) to be assigned to an ALSA card slot number:
How to choose a particular order for multiple installed cards

Which card is card number 0, 1 and so is by default determined by module load order. This is particularly useful to choose which card becomes the default one.

In theory therefore it is possible to choose which of several installed cards becomes card 0, the default one, by ensuring its driver module is loaded first. (Note: this assumes that each sound card requires a different driver. If you have two soundcards of the same type, please skip to the next section.)

There are two ways to achieve this, the "old" index= option of the card driver module, and the alternative (and new) slots= option of the snd module.
The older "index=" method

An example configuration for two sound cards is like below:

# ALSA portion
options snd cards_limit=2
alias snd-card-0 snd-interwave
alias snd-card-1 snd-ens1371
options snd-interwave index=0
options snd-ens1371 index=1
# OSS/Free portion
alias sound-slot-0 snd-interwave
alias sound-slot-1 snd-ens1371

The newer "slots=" method

Alternatively, you can use the slot option instead of the index options:

options snd slots=snd-interwave,snd-ens1371

Then, the first slot (#0) is reserved for snd-interwave driver, and the second (#1) for snd-ens1371. You can omit index option in each driver if slots option is used (although you can still have them at the same time as long as they don't conflict).

According to ALSA-Configuration.txt, The slots option is especially useful for avoiding the possible hot-plugging and the resultant slot conflict. For example, in the case above again, the first two slots are already reserved. If any other driver (e.g. snd-usb-audio) is loaded before snd-interwave or snd-ens1371, it will be assigned to the third or later slot.
If puppy no longer creates the old snd-card and snd-slot statements, perhaps the alsawizard could avoid them, as well, by switching to the "newer" method. It could generate a single "options snd slots=xxx" statement instead of two lines. FWIW, modinfo for snd shows 3 possible arguments:
slots: Module names assigned to the slots. (array of charp)
major: Major # for sound driver. (int)
cards_limit: Count of auto-loadable soundcards. (int)
Just an idea.

Also, the current ALSA assignments are listed in /proc/asound/modules (e.g., "0 snd_intel8x0").
Richard

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#79 Post by Flash »

I used Burniso2cd to burn the Wary 5.1.1.56 iso onto a blanked mini CD-RW (210 MB), choosing Burniso2cd's multisession option. Booted the newly burned CD in a computer with a Gigabyte MA78GPM-DS2H motherboard and 4GB of RAM.

On first boot, Puppy configured the sound without my having to do anything. I chose 1366 x 768 screen resolution (the native resolution of my display), changed the desktop icons and made their names bigger with Set global font size. Tried watching a DVD but the DVD player's idea of full screen was only about half of my display. :(

This computer is not connected to the internet, so, there not being anything else I could think of to do and it being past my bedtime, I shut down, saving to the multisession CD. I haven't tried rebooting yet, but all indications are that it will work fine.

session

dual agere problem

#80 Post by session »

BarryK wrote:Request for sound testing.

I was discussing a problem with sound with rerwin just prior to releasing Wary 5.1.1.56, but deferred it until now. Rerwin has outlined the issue in his above post.

It may be that the solution is extremely simple. Originally, I had code in /sbin/pup_event_backend_modprobe to assign card slot numbers.
However, the existence of /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf changes the ball game entirely.

I have simply removed my slot assignment code in pup_event_backend_modprobe. It works fine on my laptop.

I would welcome testers.
OK, I've finally tested this on this machine, sound is fine but the wrong modem variant issue remains as described in that thread. The surefire way to fix it is to manually hide the variant in /lib/modules.