Puppy for geeks?

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
8-bit

Puppy for geeks?

#1 Post by 8-bit »

The Puppy desktop looks like it was designed for geeks as far as icons are concerned.
Icons for Connect, Setup or Install as well as Play should not be desktop icons.

Once an OS is installed, those should no longer be needed as Desktop shortcuts.

Also, it would get away from the geek look of the desktop.

How would YOU improve the looks of the desktop?
Is it just tradition that all those desktop icons are kept?

aarf

#2 Post by aarf »

Those extra icons are only there for you to practice deleting desktop icons.

stu90

#3 Post by stu90 »

Personally i'm not a fan of all the desktop icons as i think they clutter up the desktop and can obscure the wallpaper.
I used the minimal option in Desktop templates Setup for a recent build of Lucid Puppy with lts kernel - this reduces the desktop icons down to just 5 icons + drives which i think is a happy medium between a full slate of icons and minimal setup.

DaveS

#4 Post by DaveS »

Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Moose On The Loose

Re: Puppy for geeks?

#5 Post by Moose On The Loose »

8-bit wrote:The Puppy desktop looks like it was designed for geeks as far as icons are concerned.
Icons for Connect, Setup or Install as well as Play should not be desktop icons.

Once an OS is installed, those should no longer be needed as Desktop shortcuts.

How would YOU improve the looks of the desktop?
Is it just tradition that all those desktop icons are kept?
For someone I made a puppy for here is what I did:

I changed the background to a picture of a rabid dog I edited. I took just the head shot and turned some of the foam red and then reduced the image brightness to make the whole thing very dark.

I wrote a script that did nothing at all and dragged it up onto the desk top 3 times. These I edited to make 3 icons that read:

Self Destruct

Never do this

Destroy Disk

The person got over being afraid of the other icons very quickly and changed their desk top to something sensible the first day.

I won't work for everyone but with some a sense of humor is the best way to go.

nitehawk

#6 Post by nitehawk »

I like the geek. I mean,...that's what I really like about Quriky. It just looks so,.......well,......geeky. (Wary does too IMO). Geek is cool.
However,....I DO actually get rid of most of the icons. And I like to get a really mean looking conky going.

l2ulinux

Puppy for geeks?

#7 Post by l2ulinux »

Myself I thinks icons should be left to the user of his system. The wallpaper the same. The biggest problem so many forget Puppy are Linux as a hold is not Wins and should not be forced to look like it. I like these remarks left by the fans of THE PUPPY.

I'm a PC... Without Windows
Not Racist
Not Violent
Just Not Silent Anymore
Linux is NOT Windows. Doesn't PRETEND to be, Doesn't WANT to be; Don't try to MAKE it be.

l2ulinux

Puppy for geeks?

#8 Post by l2ulinux »

8-bit wrote:

The Puppy desktop looks like it was designed for geeks as far as icons are concerned

Remember PUPPY was build to be a small platform release. By doing this most of the show off software was removed. It leaves us a plain Jane desktop.

Go back to the old days when the desktop was just a plain color you liked and all programs were run from the menu

For me I am not crazy over a page full of icons. Let me have my drive icons and two menu bars. One for program icons are task bar and the other to show what is open are to follow web pages

8-bit

#9 Post by 8-bit »

You could say that I learned something here.
With the trend to split menus, I completely overlooked the desktop icon settings having different display options as to what was shown.

tubeguy

#10 Post by tubeguy »

nitehawk wrote:I like the geek. I mean,...that's what I really like about Quriky. It just looks so,.......well,......geeky. (Wary does too IMO). Geek is cool.
I just tried the latest Wary and was blown away by the default icons. :D
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

puppyite

Re: Puppy for geeks?

#11 Post by puppyite »

8-bit wrote:The Puppy desktop looks like it was designed for geeks as far as icons are concerned.
I use icons. I imagine a geek would have no icons at all. I expect an extreme geek might not have any desktop either. Does that mean I’m not a geek or does it mean I don’t have a good read on what geeks like?
Icons for Connect, Setup or Install as well as Play should not be desktop icons. Once an OS is installed, those should no longer be needed as Desktop shortcuts.
The Connect icon is useful if you’re on dialup.
I assume your definition of “geek look