Puppy2 USB Mouse problem and solution

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
timhowarduk

Puppy2 USB Mouse problem and solution

#1 Post by timhowarduk »

Puppy 1 recognised my USB mouse without a twitch.
Puppy 2 doesn't, no matter what I set as my mouse option.
This is an elderly pc, with USB 1 support only.
To get the mouse working, I need to execute

Code: Select all

mobprobe usbhid
after bootup.
I will probably end up putting this in rc.local , for now am pressing Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, typing the command, then xwin.

Hope this can be fixed in a later version, it spoils the inital excitement for new users!

T

Yogi

#2 Post by Yogi »

Ditto.
Even if I select the Xorg option and then elect to change the mouse to USB version it still does not work. I suppose I can always revert back to a PS2 mouse but I really like my optical USB one.

Fossil

#3 Post by Fossil »

I too had a similar experience with Puppy 2 on my four year old 1800 AMD based computer. Puppy assumed the mouse was a USB optical model with scroll wheel -which it was. On reaching the Xorg resolution confirmation screen the cursor refused to work. The same happened after a reboot and trying with Xvesa. I removed the USB optical mouse and attached a PS2 with scroll wheel. Restarted, went through the confirmations, Puppy booted recognised the PS2 and all was well.
Before exiting, I followed the prompt to copy the pup_save.3fs file to the hard drive.
Not wishing to give in, I later tried again. The optical USB mouse still refused to work.
Here's the work-around. Boot up and choose either Xorg or Xvesa as per normal. Disregard the lack of mouse support. When you get to the desktop press F-12. The menu will open up. Using the keyboard, go into Setup. Then, Mouse and Keyboard Wizard. Configure the USB optical mouse from within the wizard. Confirm and exit the wizard, the mouse will (should) work. At least, it does for me.

Good luck.