How to set up grub 2 to boot Puppy frugal install

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
nooby

#21 Post by nooby »

rcrsn51 greath thanks. I do hope it works for my purpose.
I will test it ASAP using peppermint linux most likely. or some other lightweight distro.

How big usbmemory is minimal 1GB or 2GB or 4GB?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

rjbrewer

#22 Post by rjbrewer »

nooby wrote:
So is there not good evidence that many do see think that grub2 is an Ubuntu thing. I am too lazy to find out if Debian was first with it and then Ubuntu mimicked Debian. Maybe they came up with it together? or in competition with each other.
No; there is not good evidence they do think it is Ubuntu!
Most Linux users are aware that Grub is a "bootloader", and not
part of any specific OS.

The list of Grub2 users was provided by James C; not by me.
You only found about 25 Ubuntu derivatives in the almost 90
distros listed.

Your comment about Dream Linux, without providing a link to the
post on Linux Forums you were referring to was an especially
bad move.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

nooby

#23 Post by nooby »

My sincere apology to James C.
So Brewer, if I understand your text to me correctly you will never forgive me for my gruesome transgression on this forum.

But maybe the good thing or outcome with this tiring exchanges on Debian being the main source for all the distros that DW claim has Ubuntu as base of inspiration maybe got rcrsn51 motivated to give us the pet he linked to and started a thread about.

It worked wonderfully.

This thread we are in now has the title.
How to set up grub 2 to boot Puppy frugal install

I suggest we go back on topic. Did we solve that question?

rjbrewer

#24 Post by rjbrewer »

nooby wrote:My sincere apology to James C.
So Brewer, if I understand your text to me correctly you will never forgive me for my gruesome transgression on this forum.
Gruesome transgressions?

Good name for a rock group. :lol:

Full installs

nooby

#25 Post by nooby »

I wrote "I suggest we go back on topic. Did we solve that question?"

rjbrewer

#26 Post by rjbrewer »

nooby wrote:I wrote "I suggest we go back on topic. Did we solve that question?"
This is the "How to" section.
There was no question!!!

Full installs

HiDeHo

#27 Post by HiDeHo »

Hey all nice try at discussing ubuntu and grub 2 but it has nothing to do with puppy linux and grub 2 booting as the origional post was adn is about. please get back on tiopic.

HiDeHo

#28 Post by HiDeHo »

Puppylinux and grub 2 is great. here is my lighthouse pup grub file. for you to look at. for my lighthouse pup i have to use the default graphic settings.

http://pastebin.com/xrkBqLnw

Lighthouse pup has some different options than the normal puplet.

ubume2

#29 Post by ubume2 »

Okay, I currently have 525 set up frugally in its own ext 3 partition, and I have Ubuntu grub2 set up to boot it. I intend to place other Puppy installs in that same partition. Let's say 420.

What is not clear to me, what do I place in my Ubu grub2 menu to go to the Puppy boot menu so that I can boot the puppy version I am working with? I don't want to clutter the Ubuntu grub menu more than it is currently cluttered.

Thanks.

nooby

#30 Post by nooby »

Hopefully somebody who really know help you out but in the mean time I suggest this.

Short version Search using the link in my sig for

chainload grub2 to grub4

Longer version
Would it be possible to use puppy and install on that ext3 partition a grub4dos and chainload to that one from the grub2 in ubuntu then you can add as many frugal installs of puppy and knoppix and porteus and other Slax varieties without cluttering the grub2 at all.

look for grub4dosconfig thread and see how that one can be installed to usb and partitions and how chainloading works. But I am a very confused and computer challenged person so I may have got it all wrong.

ubume2

#31 Post by ubume2 »

Thanks nooby for url to that search engine. Am checking into the grub issue now.

It seems to be more thorough than a regular google search

Bruce B

#32 Post by Bruce B »

As far as Ubuntu, I figure I'll probably run into control issues.

One boot manager and one menu for me. The reason why is some
previous severe data loss doing it with two grubs.

~

ubume2

#33 Post by ubume2 »

HiDeHo wrote:Hi my grub 2 experiences are as follows.
2 I then went to /etc/grub.d/custom_40 and.added this.

menuentry 'Puppy Boot' {
search --set --fs-uuid abff01f4-2fbd-498a-bbf3-480beb990594
configfile /Puppy520/grub2.cfg
}

(this option boots, points and loads the grub2.cfg file above). you will need to change the uuid to the one from your hdd where puppy is. then point to the config file

then in the ubuntu os open a terminal and run this. sudo update-grub and your done.

I find this a much cleaner way to do things and you then get all the boot options from the puppy linux os
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried your approach, and did not work with my Ubuntu grub. I did a frugal install of Puppy 525 ext3 inside Ubuntu.

I started using this url:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64525

My grub2.cfg file was placed in /puppy525
It reads as follows:
#This is a config file to get grub to boot puppy linux.
menuentry 'LUPUP 5.2.0 BOOT OPTIONS' {
insmod
set root
linux
intird
}

menuentry '01. Puppy Linux' {
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,5)'
linux /Puppy525/vmlinuz psubdir=Puppy525
initrd /Puppy525/initrd.gz
}
-------------------------------------------
I added to my Ubuntu grub custom menu
menuentry 'Puppy Boot' {
search --set --fs-uuid 9c9e90e7-a00e-4f70-a396-d75dc8124e69
configfile /Puppy525/grub2.cfg
}
and updated the grub menu
When I select it on the menu...I get a press any key message. Doesn't work. Any other suggestions?

IMO trying to use grub 4 dos, is a regression. But I don't think the "how to" above was using that.

HiDeHo

#34 Post by HiDeHo »

nooby wrote:Thanks for the list but I did ask for those that was not Ubuntu. Many of these are based on Ubuntu.

Rather many. It is past 11PM here so I look into the list tomorrow.

How did you set up the search?

Have you actually read that their installer use grub2on NTFS HDD in frugal install loading their Iso or does the search just find the word grub2 in the review or something. I am very skeptical to that all of these mention would not be Ubuntu based and at same time using grub2 as installer and boot up after install.

They maybe can be booted by grub2 that is another thing I talk about that they exclusively use grub2 as their main way to install and boot just like the latest Ubuntu does. That is rare outside of Ubuntu inspired OS.
nooby. ubuntu is baised on debian so debian uses grub 2 any debian baised os would also use it. noobyare you new to linux - if so y not do some research into what linux is and how things are. instead of asuming things about linux. I remember it is hard to make the switch from windows o linux, but just do research, it takes some reading tutorials and manuals when you start out and understanding basic things before posting in forums about things.
Last edited by HiDeHo on Sun 22 May 2011, 12:36, edited 1 time in total.

HiDeHo

#35 Post by HiDeHo »

ubume2 wrote:
HiDeHo wrote:Hi my grub 2 experiences are as follows.
2 I then went to /etc/grub.d/custom_40 and.added this.

menuentry 'Puppy Boot' {
search --set --fs-uuid abff01f4-2fbd-498a-bbf3-480beb990594
configfile /Puppy520/grub2.cfg
}

(this option boots, points and loads the grub2.cfg file above). you will need to change the uuid to the one from your hdd where puppy is. then point to the config file

then in the ubuntu os open a terminal and run this. sudo update-grub and your done.

I find this a much cleaner way to do things and you then get all the boot options from the puppy linux os
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried your approach, and did not work with my Ubuntu grub. I did a frugal install of Puppy 525 ext3 inside Ubuntu.

I started using this url:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64525

My grub2.cfg file was placed in /puppy525
It reads as follows:
#This is a config file to get grub to boot puppy linux.
menuentry 'LUPUP 5.2.0 BOOT OPTIONS' {
insmod
set root
linux
intird
}

menuentry '01. Puppy Linux' {
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,5)'
linux /Puppy525/vmlinuz psubdir=Puppy525
initrd /Puppy525/initrd.gz
}
-------------------------------------------
I added to my Ubuntu grub custom menu
menuentry 'Puppy Boot' {
search --set --fs-uuid 9c9e90e7-a00e-4f70-a396-d75dc8124e69
configfile /Puppy525/grub2.cfg
}
and updated the grub menu
When I select it on the menu...I get a press any key message. Doesn't work. Any other suggestions?

IMO trying to use grub 4 dos, is a regression. But I don't think the "how to" above was using that.

first do you have a working installed os with grub 2 i asume your ubuntu partition does.

then you will need to use that. if you read the post by its-me-again adn his link you will see alot about how to tweek grub 2 read that first then try again. adn let us know how you get on

ubume2

#36 Post by ubume2 »

HiDeHo wrote: first do you have a working installed os with grub 2 i asume your ubuntu partition does.

then you will need to use that. if you read the post by its-me-again adn his link you will see alot about how to tweek grub 2 read that first then try again. adn let us know how you get on
Yes, I have a grub2 on ubuntu. I can add Puppy on it to boot it. I read the wikka posted on its-me-again's first post. That is a tutorial on how to set up grub2. I use the same procedure.

Where I ran into problems was chrisbear's? list of grub entries and an entry to boot a grub2.cfg within /puppy525. My purpose was to boot up various puppy versions (frugal) located in a separate ext3 partition. Trying to avoid cluttering ubuntu's grub. I can easily add the additional puppy's to ubuntu's grub2 menu and get them to boot.

But I can't get it to chainload (if that's the right term) to the grub2.cfg. That is to have only one puppy entry on ubuntu's grub to boot to grub2.cfg
where other puppy versions can be booted.

I am not certain that can be done unless a full install is done of each puppy version into separate partitions, where a separate /boot/grub/menu.lst exists (grub legacy in Puppy). I did extensive searches using Puppy's google search engine and did not find a solution.

Thank you.

nooby

#37 Post by nooby »

ubume2 here is how it looks on my grub4dos which is on the third partition.

title lupu-525 processor.max_cstate=1 i915.modeset=1 nosmp
rootnoverify (hd0,2)
kernel /lupu-525/vmlinuz pmedia=scsihd pdev1=sda3 psubdir=lupu-525 puppy nosmp pfix=fsck
initrd /lupu-525/initrd.gz

# Windows

title Windows Vista/2008/7\nBoot up Windows Vista/2008/7 if installed
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
chainloader /bootmgr

end of quote

So that is opposite what you have but kind of accomplish something similar. One only have to change in which order them boot.

As you see it is for windows vista or win 7.

so if you have win xp or only Ubuntu then it should be even more easy but maybe not the word bootmgr there. your bootmgr may be on hd0,0 instead?

So if you are able to set it up like me then the first boot screen would have either

Win 7
Ubuntu 11.04
Puppy Linux

and then if you click on or highlight or go down to Puppy Linux
only then you would see all the puppies you have entered in that grub4dos list.

Me setting the priority opposite see the Puppy linux first with windows in the end after some 20 puppy entries and knoppix and porteus and TCL remix.

HiDeHo I very much appreciate you care about me. Not everybody do so that is a good thing indeed.

What I try to do here now is to help ubume2 because I have what he want only that on my machine it is set up the other way around but basically it is identical so he should be able to mimic my set up and get what he wants.

ubume2

#38 Post by ubume2 »

Hello,
I tried grub4dos and it created a long list of installs.
Frankly, grub 1 and 2 are much more eye appealing, and for me easier to work with.

I don't think chrisbear's method works unless a full install of each Puppy version is done into separate partitions and with separate /boot/grub/menu.lst.

It appears that placing all my puppy installs on my ubuntu grub2 is the answer for me. I can control grub2, since I am familiar with it. Grub4dos certainly was "busy" and created a full screen of menu items.

nooby

#39 Post by nooby »

ubume2 my guess is that I or somebody more savvy than I should ahve warned you.

From you text I trust you talk about the program grub4dosconfig and not grub4dos as such.

grub4dosconfig try to be a very handy app that do all your work for you. So it list all OS that it could find on every partition and USB too.

So we failed to guess what it would look like from your situation and what you really expected would happen.

grub4dosconfig even need some touch up after so that the titles get names that us humans like. now it will give

Title lupu-535
while we most likely would prefer

Title Lucid Puppy Linux Version 5.2.5

Indy'spup

#40 Post by Indy'spup »

I really like Grub4Dos :)

Grub4Dos helped make the configuration of a gfxmenu with a Frugal Install painless..

To be honest I couldn't find many posts with an efficient method to boot a Frugal install using Grub2 with a gfxmenu. Thanks to "mikeb" for adding his knowledge to the gfxmenu for Grub thread, I now have a Graphical Menu 'Cat Style' to boot a Frugal install using Grub4Dos v4.4 and it was so easy..
;)

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 032#527032

:)