Pcreole Language Support

For efforts in internationalising Puppy and solving problems in this area
mcewanw

Pcreole Language Support

#1 Post by mcewanw »

Pcreole Language Support

English - Native
German - L18L (real name currently unknown...:-)

You can download Pcreole and its current translation dotpets here

Many thanks to the translator(s). Especial thanks to L18L who helped me invaluably with my wishes to internationalise Pcreole, and to shinobar, who unwittingly helped me in that regard with his ffconvert implementation, which also uses gettext.

New translations invited! Some help on how to do this is provided below. I would be grateful if you could post your translations at the end of this thread (either as dotpets which place the .po and .mo files into the directories indicated below, of simply as the files themselves from which I or someone else, will create a dotpet to ease installation with the Petget package manager). I will later store the download copy of your translation dotpets at the main Pcreole thread/post here.

ABOUT NLS

Pcreole is internationalised using gettext to display all programme text and labels. The Pcreole bash script exports the following three variables into its environment to allow this all to work (note that translators don't need to do this bit since it is part of the Pcreole programme itself):

Code: Select all

export TEXTDOMAIN=pcreole
export TEXTDOMAINDIR=/usr/share/locale
export OUTPUT_CHARSET=UTF-8

The gettext strings embedded in the Pcreole programme script have all been collected and stored in a separate text file called pcreole.pot, which pcreole-x.x.x.pet installs into the directory /usr/share/doc/pcreole/nls/. If you have the DEVX sfs added to your Puppy system, you can alternatively make a new pot file of your own for pcreole by running the command:

xgettext --lang=shell -o pcreole.pot /usr/bin/pcreole
You can then store the resultant pcreole.pot file in directory /usr/share/doc/pcreole/nls/

Next step is to create the .po text translation file from the .pot file. You can do that by running the following command line:

msginit --locale=your_locale --output-file=your_locale.po --input=pcreole.pot
where "your_locale" might be, for example, de, ru_RU, zh_CN, fr, it or whatever...

Now edit your_locale.po file using your favourite text editor to add the new "msgstr" translations (or better still, use an editor like Poedit, which is specially designed for this task). For an example, if you have L18L's pcreole German translation installed, you can refer to the file /usr/share/doc/pcreole/nls/de.po

You should also store your "your_locale.po" translation in the directory /usr/share/doc/pcreole/nls/

Next you need to create the binary pcreole.mo file from the your_locale.po file. You can do that with the following commandline:

msgfmt --check --output-file=pcreole.mo your_locale.po
Finally, store the resultant pcreole.mo file in the directory /usr/share/locale/your_locale/LC_MESSAGES/ and if you set your system locale to "your_locale" Pcreole should now provide all its text in your language.

One way of checking that everything is working, without having to change locale first, is to start pcreole from the commandline with the following command:

LANGUAGE=your_locale pcreole
For example:

LANGUAGE=de pcreole
Here is a screenshot (courtesy of L18L) which shows Pcreole-3.0.0 running, in small gui mode, with LANGUAGE=de (German):

github mcewanw