Fluppy 013

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives

#1821 Post by 106498 »

@tatamata: I think you may be using grub2, from Ubuntu, rather than Grub legacy or Grub4DOS.

This is a whole different beast and in my opinion to be avoided. Try installing grub4dos from within puppy linux, make sure to note where you are choosing to put the menu.lst file so you know where to find it for future reference.
[color=green]An expert is just a beginner with experience.[/color]
Shamelessly representing [url=http://www.tdem.co.nz]TdeM[/url]!

tatamata

grub agony

#1822 Post by tatamata »

OK. there was a procedure how to replace grub2 to grub legacy in Ubuntu, explained on Ubuntu forums. I have done that.
I have even managed to get grub to list both fluppy and Ubuntu.
However,
after that I could not start from grub neither Ubuntu, neither Fluppy. Shitty "Error 015" is raised every time.
Finally I lost my nerves and formated HD, removing previous Ubuntu installation. Then I installed Fluppy full again. New grub installation.
The same problem apears again: grub error "Error 15"...
Now, I really have no clue how to procede with this installation any more.
I can' beleive that I am not able to install fluppy just because of the grub shit!

nooby

#1823 Post by nooby »

There are threads that describe how to boot in frugal install using both grub4dos and grub2 chainloading. You should try out the built in grub4dosconfig tool in puppy and use it to install grub4dos and then if you want to do Ubuntu you could use a grub2 on a USB stick but have the iso on the HDD and boot from the usb but load the iso on the hdd instead. That has only drawback that it is not full install of Ubuntu mut maybe it allow Ubuntu to install on the usb or another usb?

Just my wild thoughts. I bow out now it is Jemimah's thread.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

sanderd

bluetooth audio not working / supported???

#1824 Post by sanderd »

hi all,

so far fluppy is the only puppy flavor which works best on my asus u1. except for bluetooth audio. general bluetooth does work.

anyone any idea?

searching the forum didn't help.

[edit]
added diagnose file
[/edit]

[edit2]
i can make a connection to my bluetooth/ usb dac (cordette 160 audiophile dac) but no clue how to select it as an output for sound
[/edit2]

thanks,
sander
Attachments
diag.tar.gz
diagnose tool output
(29.03 KiB) Downloaded 258 times

tlchost

Package Manager

#1825 Post by tlchost »

Just noticed that in fluppy13, the package manager will NOT uninstall packages.

Can someone confirm this behavior/offer a fix?

I have noticed the problem in
A. Live-CD
B. Bootable USB
C. Re-mastered Fluppy13

Thanks

Thom

puppyiso

#1826 Post by puppyiso »

I have tried version 13 ad have trouble using scim. shinobars language sfs doesn't work

Maybe it's the number.. 13..

tlchost

package manager

#1827 Post by tlchost »

It seems that the remaster I made of Fluppy 013 was bad...

Has anyone remastered Fluppy?

Is there some trick to it?

Thom

tatamata

How to enable printing on fluppy?

#1828 Post by tatamata »

According to some advices in this and other forum threads, I have successfully installed cups-1.3.11 and the patch fluppy-cups-patch-1.0, along with some missing libraries. Also, I was able to restart cups scheduler.

However, I still don't know hot to enable printing. Is there some additional GUI software for managing printers that I should install? I don't see any printers manager software in fluppy...Have I missed something? I'm sorry if my question is stupid.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#1829 Post by Béèm »

edoc wrote:
Eyes-Only wrote: I'm pleased to report that it's working fine and dandy here on my frugal install of Fluppy-13. :)

And they all work like a charm! ( But this was written in Midori as I love playing with browsers. lol )
Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
Thanks!

I have been experimenting with Midori as well and find little reason to choose the much larger Seamonkey browser over the compact-Midori -- the challenge is Claws -- I am not yet comfortable with it and wish there was a script to link between the two (because I always forget the simple steps - I need to print and ring-binder them).
You can't compare apples with oranges.
SeaMonkey is a suite. And thus integration is fluidly.
Midori is only a browser.
You have to add Claws and then compare.
And as you state find how to integrate the two.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

tatamata

Re: How to enable printing on fluppy?

#1830 Post by tatamata »

tatamata wrote:According to some advices in this and other forum threads, I have successfully installed cups-1.3.11 and the patch fluppy-cups-patch-1.0, along with some missing libraries. Also, I was able to restart cups scheduler.

However, I still don't know hot to enable printing. Is there some additional GUI software for managing printers that I should install? I don't see any printers manager software in fluppy...Have I missed something? I'm sorry if my question is stupid.
Where to find libsane and Ghostscript or fluppy?

tatamata

cups, error "Failed to load the PPM image"

#1831 Post by tatamata »

When trying to print anything, I get error: "Failed to load the PPM image".
What would that mean?

rcrsn51

#1832 Post by rcrsn51 »

Post subject: Re: How to enable printing on fluppy?
In Fluppy, all the printer/scanner stuff is in a separate sfs package. See the first page of this thread.

Regarding your Samsung printer, read here.

tatamata

#1833 Post by tatamata »

Thanks.
Enabled on SnowPuppy, according to your advices and attached samsung_printer-3.pet. Tommorow I will se with fluppy.
Yes, I have probably broken cups with unified samsung driver:(

rcrsn51

#1834 Post by rcrsn51 »

With all the changes you have made to your Fluppy setup, it's hard to know if the Samsung PET will work. If it does not, you may have to start over and get the print/scan sfs package installed.

rcrsn51

#1835 Post by rcrsn51 »

I notice that your SCX-4200 is also a scanner. The Samsung Unified package contains scanner software, but the setup is more complicated than for the printer. If you want, I can try to build a package for it.

Dave_B

Package manager

#1836 Post by Dave_B »

I have a frugal install of Fluppy 13 (sure works great on my dinosaur laptop) and the package manager doesn't have any packages or pets to install. When I refreshed the list, I see an error in retrieving the package file. How can I fix this?
Dave

edoc

#1837 Post by edoc »

Every now and then I will be on a site and click a link and get an error saying that I am not from the correct region or something.

Is this a setting somewhere in the Web browser or is such a site looking at the IP address or something?

Is there a way to be region-neutral?

Just curious, it seemed odd for the Internet to be regionally-blocked.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

Shep

#1838 Post by Shep »

edoc wrote:Every now and then I will be on a site and click a link and get an error saying that I am not from the correct region or something.

Is this a setting somewhere in the Web browser or is such a site looking at the IP address or something?
The site is looking at your IP address, and concluding that it owes you no favours. :o :o So says just go away.
Is there a way to be region-neutral?
No. But you can go through a proxy to make it seem that you are coming from a region the site regards as friendly. :?
Bandwidth costs money, and some sites are reluctant to put money where they can be certain it will produce little or no return. Some UK & USA radio stations cater only to local listeners. TV stations often make their online videos available only to their local viewers.

For example, if a tv station wants to sell its own production to overseas stations, it won't be able to ask a very high price if the whole series can be viewed online for free by people in that country. So it places restrictions on who can view for free. :lol:

But if you are sufficiently determined, there are always ways to get around any obstacle placed in your path. :wink:

Shep

Re: Package manager

#1839 Post by Shep »

Dave_B wrote:I have a frugal install of Fluppy 13 (sure works great on my dinosaur laptop) and the package manager doesn't have any packages or pets to install. When I refreshed the list, I see an error in retrieving the package file. How can I fix this?
Dave
Were you online when you clicked?

edoc

#1840 Post by edoc »

Shep wrote:
Bandwidth costs money, and some sites are reluctant to put money where they can be certain it will produce little or no return. Some UK & USA radio stations cater only to local listeners. TV stations often make their online videos available only to their local viewers.

For example, if a tv station wants to sell its own production to overseas stations, it won't be able to ask a very high price if the whole series can be viewed online for free by people in that country. So it places restrictions on who can view for free. :lol:

But if you are sufficiently determined, there are always ways to get around any obstacle placed in your path. :wink:
Now I get it, thanks!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603