How do I uninstall unwanted packages?

Using applications, configuring, problems
mateendar

How do I uninstall unwanted packages?

#1 Post by mateendar »

hi .. i run puppy from a live cd with a partion on myt hard drive fro the / directory. there are so many programs installed that i dont want . how do i remove them

#2 Post by Guest »

The easiest way, but a bit of a pain as you lose all your settings is to rename pup001 to something such as pup001.bak reboot and bingo you have a clean slate again........
As for uninstalling.....you could rename every dotpup file to "whatever".zip, open it, expand the archive contained in each one, see which files were installed and go hunting.....tho this could break things.......
Funny but I was thinking today some mechinism is required whereby a packwage could be 'uninstalled"

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

There is an uninstall mechanism.

PupGet packages can be uninstalled by the PupGet package manager,
but so to can DotPups that registered themselves with PupGet when they installed -- this is up to the authors of DotPups, I think some are, most aren't.

But, uninstallation may not be as simple as deleting files.
PupGet package manager does have the ability to run a uninstall script if one is supplied.

#4 Post by Guest »

d'oh :oops:

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#5 Post by GuestToo »

many dotpup's (not all) have an uninstaller
usually the readme file tells you how to uninstall

sometimes, you just click the dotpup again

sometimes you right-click the roxapp icon and click Uninstall in the menu

most of the larger programs that were installed by dotpups, have most of the files in one folder, either the roxapp folder or a folder in my-applications ... deleting the folder will delete most of the files

some of the programs in the my-roxapps folder can uninstalled by just deleting the roxapp icon

for example, Java would have most of it's files in a folder called something like jre1.5.0_03 ... deleting the folder will delete about 84 megs of files ... the plugin symlink and env variables will still be there, but probably won't cause trouble

(by the way, i should be able to make a java jre1.5.0_04 installer now ... the 1.5.0_04 installer seems to be available on the manual download page now)

dotpups could have uninstall scripts and auto-install (not requiring user interaction) scripts as well as the standard dotpup.sh script that runs when the dotpup is clicked ... i haven't changed the way dotpups work since i first wrote the dotpup handler (it easily could be improved)

Shagpile

#6 Post by Shagpile »

Ive read what you have put but I dont think you have been very clear about what you need to do to remove unwanted packages.
Ive now got it on my hard drive (fresh install) and I want to get rid or abiword mozilla mail and the mozilla browser (now that ive downloaded firefox)
Then there are way to many text editors. There is a new version of beaver out so I am going to install that. But only if I can remove the previous one first.

Any ideas people?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

Here's a thread that might do you some good.

Also, here , here and here are other questions similar to yours that might be of help.

If you do find a solution, please be kind enough to write a detailed description of what you did and post it in the forum, or put it in a Wiki page. Thank you.

#8 Post by Guest »

Shagpile wrote:Ive read what you have put but I dont think you have been very clear about what you need to do to remove unwanted packages.
Ive now got it on my hard drive (fresh install) and I want to get rid or abiword mozilla mail and the mozilla browser (now that ive downloaded firefox)
Then there are way to many text editors. There is a new version of beaver out so I am going to install that. But only if I can remove the previous one first.

Any ideas people?
There is no mechanism to remove the base set of packages that were on the live-cd.
What you could do is install bare-bones Puppy -- see News page.

Maud_Dib

#9 Post by Maud_Dib »

Hey mateendar !
Maybe Puppy unleashed would be the best way to go considering all the changes you want.
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/puppy-unleashed.htm
Folding for TeamMacOSX