How do I configure ethernet to share my cable internet?

Using applications, configuring, problems
mateen

How do I configure ethernet to share my cable internet?

#1 Post by mateen »

hi i am a new to puppy linux, but am quite familiar with linux operating systems, i have three computers in my home. i am using a cable internet. i have two network cards in my pc, one for the internet and one for a switch that connects the other two pc's . under windows xp i share a internet connection and am wondering how to this under puppy.so thats other two pc's can access internet connection from puppy. i assgined the ip 192.168.0.1 to the network card conencted to the switch. i have configured internet with the other card.

#2 Post by Guest »

I know puppy has a firewall, but I'm not too sure whether it is setup in such a way as to share a internet connection...

Personally I use Shorewall for my router\bridge\access point but haven't tried to install it under puppy yet....

If you hang on another day or so I'll give it a go and try and package it in such a way that it is an easy install under puppy, configuration is quite simple, for a basic setup it's just a few text files (don't scream or freak).The shorewall website even has templates for such cases as a computer sharing an internet connection to some others.....

Or if you have a spare lowend box hanging around that you can through a couple of NIC's at and leave in a corner and forget, Freesco it a damn good distro, great support and a dead easy setup and will run from just a floppy so no need to do an install to a hard disk to give it a whirl

http://www.freesco.org

#3 Post by Guest »

thanks. i will hang on it for a day or two .i know ics is available with puppy but carnt figure out how, there is an ip masquerading utilityy in puppy but dont know how to use it. thanks.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

a router with a built-in switch and firewall is often a good way to share the internet

routers are often OVERPRICED for less than $20 (i once saw a sale price of 99 cents)

iptables can forward packets

if you want to use the Morizot firewall, you would need to modify it by adding forwarding rules, or make your own custom firewall on the Morizot website (the Morizot firewall in Puppy is a very simple, basic one, really intended for a standalone connection ... i figured if someone needed something more complicated, they could make their own custom Morizot firewall, or another firewall)

i just noticed an error in my Morizot fw script:

$IPT -P FORWARD DROrouter onP

should be:

$IPT -P FORWARD DROP

i don't know if that's my error or if it's in the original script

it doesn't seem to matter ... the default rule for FORWARD is still set to DROP

it should be fixed though

#5 Post by Guest »

will this then share the internet .

#6 Post by Guest »

i generated a file from morizot web site where do i now put the file

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

Replace the one already in Puppy with the one you made? (Just a guess.)

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#8 Post by GuestToo »

you can put it wherever you like
you might put it in /etc/rc.d/rc.local
you would probably run it using an absolute path
(if you hold ctrl and left click a file or dir with the mouse, it will copy the path to the file to your clipboard, so you can paste it to a script)

if you made a custom firewall on the Morizot website, you will probably have to edit it to make it run in Puppy

you probably have to change the path to iptables in the script ... in Puppy, iptables, iptable-save, and iptables-restore is in /usr/sbin/

now the firewall should run

Puppy does not have systcl, so you should uncomment the line:
SYSCTL=""

you will get an error message when you run the firewall about syncookies ... syncookie support is not compiled into the kernel ... you can ignore the error messages, or you can delete or comment the lines that try to set syncookie options ... in any case, it doesn't cause any problems

the latest versions of the Morizot firewall seem to have features that Puppy does not support, and there are error messages ... i don't know if this causes the firewall to stop working properly or not ... it may work ok, or it may not ... i haven't tried the latest version in Puppy (you really don't know if a firewall is working well until it's tested by a number of people over a period of time ... even then, it might have holes that nobody has noticed)

#9 Post by Guest »

could u be nice ennough to generate a script for me . its such a huge file, cannot find where to edit these things. aand i am new at editing linux scripts. i have two cards

etho - > connected to switch
eth1 - > conencted to internet

internal ip =192.168.0.1
external ip static

i want to use this firewall primarily as an ics so it so enable all msn, yahoo http,ftp etc. thnaks u .

#10 Post by Guest »

sorry in the above post i said my external ip is static its not, its dynamic. thank u .

kb9tua

Cable Internet connection

#11 Post by kb9tua »

Here's how I did it. My wifes computer runs Win XP and had the cable modem registered to it. It had a built in ethernet. I added another nic to it. I attached the nic to my ethernet hub. I connected my computers nic to the hub. I then ran the Puppy ethernet/network wizard. Selected the configure_eth0 button. Selected the Auto_DHCP button. Then it was up and running. Note: I had also configured the nic in the Win XP computer as per win instructions. Currently, my wife is playing a game on her computer and I'm typing this on mine. Another note: I had been booting from the puppy cd. Now I'm booting from the HD. When booting from the cd you have to run the ethernet/network wizard each time you boot and the other computer that provides the Auto_DHCP has to be booted first (unless the other computer wasn't shutdown). I don't think that this is a problem once you have puppy booting from the HD.

Good Luck! boB 8)