mtPaint 3.19 public beta release

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
wjaguar

mtPaint 3.19 public beta release

#1 Post by wjaguar »

mtPaint 3.19 uploaded to Sourceforge today:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=555106
Among its new features are a much more memory-efficient undo engine, a new FreeType-based text pasting facility, support for running external programs (can be used, e.g., for printing images), two new image quantizers, etc.
There were many changes to low-level parts of mtPaint, some of them fairly recent, so I'll be grateful to anyone who'll help beta-test this new version before it becomes the final 3.20 release.

-= With best regards, Dmitry Groshev, maintainer of mtPaint =-

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

Hi wjaguar,

I've made a .pet of mtpaint-3.19. Now it's up to our more aesthetically gifted puppists to test it out.
Last edited by muggins on Mon 19 Nov 2007, 10:13, edited 1 time in total.

muggins

#3 Post by muggins »

And here is a package containing locales for non-english languages. Just extract to /.
Attachments
mtpaint-3.19-locales.tar.bz2
(127.59 KiB) Downloaded 481 times

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

Thanks Dmitry, thanks Muggins.
:)

this at sourceforge:
Before downloading, you may want to read the release notes.
Where are they? :)

The configurable actions under file, is that new? - that could be set up for Puppy . . .

View Window (I knew there was a double view somewhere - had to hunt) might be better named 2 view or double view

Channels and Layers I have no understanding of - and I belong to that unreasonable band of users who will never ever read a manual no matter how good (in fact it is not in the Puppy version)
- maybe a link to an online version for those so inclined . . .

Update Muggins has in the following post made the manuals available - many thanks

I am glad to see some new Gaussian filters - not sure what they are yet but intuitive enough to experiment

So glad to see Mtpaint improve and develop. Thanks again. :D
Last edited by Lobster on Mon 19 Nov 2007, 07:13, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

muggins

#5 Post by muggins »

Here's the manual separated into two archives. Extract both to /.

wingruntled

#6 Post by wingruntled »

muggins
So far so good. I do like being able to edit animated gifs, frame by frame(layer).
8)

darkstar61

#7 Post by darkstar61 »

it's better to deinstall the older version of mpaint before to install this one or it's safe just to run this pet...?

tnhx...

muggins

#8 Post by muggins »

I forgot all about the existing mtpaint! When i installed this pet & ran it, version 3.19 was displayed. When I uninstalled it I was surprised that it still ran, this time v3.11, until I remembered that v3.11 was in /usr/local/bin, whereas this current one installs in /usr/bin.

There's no conflict though, try out v3.19, and if no major dramas, you can just delete /usr/local/bin/mtpaint, as it's just the one file.

darkstar61

#9 Post by darkstar61 »

great

thnx...

muggins

#10 Post by muggins »

I re-uploaded mtpaint-3.19, and this will replace any version in /usr/local/bin with a symlink to /usr/bin.

wjaguar

#11 Post by wjaguar »

Lobster wrote:this at sourceforge:
"Before downloading, you may want to read the release notes."
Where are they? :)
Ask Sourceforge, not me. :-) Although most projects never post release notes, Sourceforge interface still shows the useless links.
The configurable actions under file, is that new? - that could be set up for Puppy . . .
Yes - actually, the feature was designed in after discussion on this same forum, about why mtPaint doesn't have printing support. The rationale for not having that inside mtPaint still holds true, but now it is easy to offload printing, or any other task for that matter, to an external program of choice or to a custom-made script.
Channels and Layers I have no understanding of - and I belong to that unreasonable band of users who will never ever read a manual no matter how good (in fact it is not in the Puppy version)
:roll: Documentation is meant to be read. Some of advanced features like utility channels or dithering simply cannot be self-explaining - at least not without a stupid wizard-like interface. And with time, number of such features will only grow - advanced image processing is *hard*, and can only be dumbed down so much before it ceases to be advanced. ;-)
- maybe a link to an online version for those so inclined . . .
http://mtpaint.sourceforge.net/handbook ... ap_00.html
It sits there since mtPaint 2.90; the version currently online is for mtPaint 3.10 because mtPaint 3.20 is still in beta.

WhoDo

#12 Post by WhoDo »

wjaguar wrote:Some of advanced features like utility channels or dithering simply cannot be self-explaining - at least not without a stupid wizard-like interface. A
A couple of quick suggestions, wjaguar, after a short "play" with the beta product:

1. If you have channels and layers, it would make sense to have a more accessible facility to easily anchor a new layer or selection into the current image. I only found the "fix" layer option with great difficulty.

3. Since mtPaint supports transparency, can we PLEASE have an erasor tool to "delete" a selection to the transparent or background layer? Cut doesn't just doesn't "cut it" as an alternative, IMHO.

That said, I realise that mtPaint is a light application, not intended to compete with GIMP or others of that ilk. Thank you for your great work on an application that is only 199kb to download in dotpet format. Well done!
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

wjaguar

#13 Post by wjaguar »

WhoDo wrote:1. If you have channels and layers, it would make sense to have a more accessible facility to easily anchor a new layer or selection into the current image. I only found the "fix" layer option with great difficulty.
The layers subsystem was there since before my involvement with mtPaint - but still, I feel that layer placement by dragging them in the view window is kind of obvious anyway. And even if it weren't, docs are meant to be read.
But now that I think of it, it does make sense to change anchor coordinate display in the layers window to a pair of spinbuttons - it'll be easier to precisely move layers that way.
3. Since mtPaint supports transparency, can we PLEASE have an erasor tool to "delete" a selection to the transparent or background layer? Cut doesn't just doesn't "cut it" as an alternative, IMHO.
An erasing brush was planned for 3.20 - but real life intruded with a vengeance. :-( Now planned for 3.30. :-)
As for making selections transparent, just remember that mtPaint is neither GIMP nor Photoshop; we don't dumb down our program, you can draw in alpha channel the same as you do in image channel. Switch to editing alpha, and fill your selection with zero alpha value - all done. You don't even need a selection - you can just draw with zero (or nonzero) alpha using any drawing tool, or use floodfill with "By image channel" option enabled to simulate "Magic wand" tool.

aarf

#14 Post by aarf »

Want a one button click for a screenshot saved into a directory and the resultant image should be 599 pixels wide so that it can be uploaded to this forum.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#15 Post by Flash »

aarf wrote:Want a one button click for a screenshot saved into a directory and the resultant image should be 599 pixels wide so that it can be uploaded to this forum.
Menu -> Graphics -> mtPaint snapshot screen capture followed by Image -> Crop and, if necessary, Image -> Scale Canvas, with the "New" width forced to 600, takes less time to do than it does to describe. I use Crop and Scale Canvas all the time to edit an image of an entire desktop that someone posts when all they really want to show is an application's GUI window.

GustavoYz

#16 Post by GustavoYz »

aarf wrote:Want a one button click for a screenshot saved into a directory and the resultant image should be 599 pixels wide so that it can be uploaded to this forum.
This might help: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61361

aarf

#17 Post by aarf »

@flash Yes that is how i do it now but after doing it too many times would prefer a one click. If you have the whole screen people dont have to ask which puppy so much . Does take too much space sometimes though. Jpeg default instead of png.

aarf

#18 Post by aarf »

GustavoYz wrote:
This might help: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61361
ok will take a look. perfecto.