Can't connect wary to internet with new modem:

Using applications, configuring, problems
irishrm

Can't connect wary to internet with new modem:

#1 Post by irishrm »

The bad news:
Just received a new modem from my broadband provider (should be good news)

Can't connect wary with network wizard (wired or wireless) Auto DHCP shows this error message:

"error, etho: failed to parse packet"

The same happens with:
puppyserver 435 (very bad news)

Good news:
Lupu 5.1.1 to 5.2.5 works normally with no hiccups.
If anyone can interpret this error and help me fix it I would be very great-full.
I am having withdrawal symptoms not being able to use all these OS's as before-irishrm.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is my uneducated guess. Puppy 4.x and Wary use a much older version of dhcpcd than Lupu. Your new modem may not be compatible.

Unfortunately, you can't simply drop the new version into an old Puppy. Try Quirky 1.3 (not 1.4) and see how it works.

irishrm

#3 Post by irishrm »

Thanks rcrcn51 for the reply.

I have no doubt your right and the modem isn't compatible with the other OS's.

I have three old computers which were running various combination's of the OS's mentioned in my first post and they were all inter-connected.
The fact that the introduction of one piece of new hardware can leave so much of what I had set up in-accessible comes as a bit of a shock.

While lupu 5.1.1 is working very well I find that 5.2 and 5.2.5 has an updated version of pburn which will not work on two of my computers.

So I'm wondering what the future holds. Will the new versions of puppy and its updated apps work on my computers and will the inevitable upgrade to newer hardware make it more difficult to stay with linux and puppy in particular-irishrm

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

I have attached a PET of the latest version of dhcpcd. I tested it in Puppy 4.3.1 and it worked, but I don't know if it will solve your problem. You might want to try it in a test install of 4.3.1.

1. Run these commands:

Code: Select all

killall dhcpcd
rm /sbin/dhcpcd
2 Install the PET.

3. Reboot.
Attachments
dhcpcd_puppy_431-5.2.12.pet
(52.91 KiB) Downloaded 400 times

irishrm

#5 Post by irishrm »

rcrsn51 thanks for the pet. I've just installed it and I'm posting this from wary 511.

In my hurry to see if it worked I forgot to run the code you provided but it worked anyway. If it gives trouble as a result of not running the code I'll redo
the whole thing again.

I'll have to install the pet on the rest of the OS's anyway which I can do later.

Thanks for helping and giving your time to this. You've cheered me up no end-irishrm

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent. Please report back with the results from the older Puppies.

However, you MUST run "rm /sbin/dhcpcd" on the old Puppies. Otherwise the old version of dhcpcd will take precedence over the new one.

rjbrewer

#7 Post by rjbrewer »

rcrsn51 wrote:Here is my uneducated guess. Puppy 4.x and Wary use a much older version of dhcpcd than Lupu. Your new modem may not be compatible.

Unfortunately, you can't simply drop the new version into an old Puppy. Try Quirky 1.3 (not 1.4) and see how it works.
I can't make a connection from a full install of the latest Wary512.
512rc1 and every previous Wary didn't have that problem.
Live cd and usb works.

edit:

Did a fresh burn and install; working okay for now.
Last edited by rjbrewer on Tue 31 May 2011, 06:48, edited 1 time in total.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

irishrm

#8 Post by irishrm »

Just installed the pet in a frugal install of wary512.

I'm posting from it now.

When I ran your script I was told that there was no file dhcpcd so its no wonder I could'nt connect.

Will work on the older puppys later probably to-morrow-irishrm.

rcrsn51

#9 Post by rcrsn51 »

That's not the problem. In Wary, dhcpcd is in the folder /usr/sbin while in the older Puppies, it's in /sbin.

irishrm

#10 Post by irishrm »

rcrsn51:

All my puppies (old and new) are up and running and connecting to the internet as before thanks to your pet.

I have one casualty OK. When I try to use pupserver 435 and samba shares they have the effect of disconnecting the wireless on the modem and I have to restart the modem again.

However I can live with that.

Thanks again. I don't know what we would do without you guys-irishrm.

rcrsn51

#11 Post by rcrsn51 »

Glad to help.
irishrm wrote:I have one casualty OK. When I try to use pupserver 435 and samba shares they have the effect of disconnecting the wireless on the modem and I have to restart the modem again.
I have only tried to run Samba shares over wireless a few times and it seemed kind of fragile.