Can't install a driver for my webcam --RICOH

Booting, installing, newbie
benny7440

Can't install a driver for my webcam --RICOH

#1 Post by benny7440 »

I'm using a VAIO VGN AR250G without hdd & 512 MB of RAM. Booting from a live cd, browsing with FF d/l as a PET file to a 2 GB CFCard. Included in the card are some big files that I intend to keep for making later a multi boot live cd.

I was following a thread in another forum for installing a RICOH webcam driver (for the Motion Eye camera that comes with this notebook) but 'make' apparently, isn't included as a command for my puppy. So, I need to know what to use in order to install this driver. I also need to troubleshoot why the internal Mic isn't responding to any "wave"... Need to use Skype.

Any advise with the aforementioned issues will be appreciated . Thanks!

PS. What's the difference between a derivative & a version in relation to Puppy Linux?

jfh

#2 Post by jfh »

but 'make' apparently, isn't included as a command for my puppy
You need the proper devx and maybe kernel headers or kernel source for the version of puppy you are running.

benny7440

#3 Post by benny7440 »

Thanks for responding jfh!
I don't understand your answer, what are "the proper devx" & maybe "kernel headers" or 'kernel source" for the version of puppy I'm running? Are these things to be added to my system or is it better to D/L a new specialized version of PL (i.e., a multimedia one)?

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#4 Post by Béèm »

The make command is in the devx sfs for your version.
You have to download and install it.

make is used when compiling. Is this what you want to do?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

benny7440

#5 Post by benny7440 »

Thanks for responding Beem! (Sorry for the fault with punctuations but don't have the capabilty in PL 511 as had with PL 431 for including special characters.)

I don't know if 'compiling' is the correct term here, it might be. The thing is that I was following someone's instructions for including a driver for the webcam that I already d/l but couldn't complete the sequence of commands because of this. Don't know if there's another command missing within my system in the said sequence.

Any tip for acquiring the one I already know I don't have?

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

Do you have a link to the source of the webcam driver?

benny7440

#7 Post by benny7440 »

Thanks for responding, rcrsn51!

The link where I found the driver follows:

http://www.arakhne.org/ricoh/

Hope this's of any help.[/url]

Edit: A thunderstorm is approaching & have to disconnect everything, I'm sorry. I follow up, hopefully, tonight.

jfh

#8 Post by jfh »

I am using lucid or lupu-525. My devx is lupu_devx_525.sfs[ and my kernel source is kernel_src-2.6.33.2-patched.sfs . Notice the lupu and 525 in the name and the kernel version matches the kernel Lucid 525 uses.

From reading the directions on your driver page you will need both. They have to match your Puppy version, Lucid 5xx, or Wary 5xx, Quirky 1xx and so on.

You can start here. http://www.puppylinux.com/download/

[/url]http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... lucid/[url] Lucid Kernel source.

[/url]http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 5.2.5/[url]
Lucid d.evx[/url]

Yea well the url thing won't work.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#9 Post by Béèm »

jfh, you did the syntax wrong. [url=<the url>]
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

rcrsn51

#10 Post by rcrsn51 »

I have attached a PET for your webcam. After installing it, you will load the driver with

Code: Select all

modprobe r5u870
But there's a catch. The documentation states that you also need to run

modprobe videodev
modprobe video-buf
modprobe v4l1-compat
modprobe v4l2-common
However the second module is absent from Lupu and I cannot find it anywhere. So I have no idea if the driver will work.
Attachments
ricoh_webcam_r5u870_k2.6.33.2-0.11.6.pet
(111.54 KiB) Downloaded 273 times

jfh

#11 Post by jfh »

Oh your way is just to easy. ':D'':D' Now that is service.

rcrsn51

#12 Post by rcrsn51 »

[deleted]

benny7440

#13 Post by benny7440 »

Thanks, jfh, for responding!
In your 2nd paragraph (post #8) you say I'm going to need both: what both?
In your post, rcrsn51, you say that there's a problem finding modprobe video-buf?
In any case I'll consider trying it later.

Edition: D/L the PET file, installed it & ran "modprobe videodev" & received a WARNING message starting with the word 'Deprecated...'; later tried the webcam api & config files in there with all the options that looked logical but the camera is unrecognized.

Yes, by running 'modprobe video-buf' I receive a FATAL warning stating: "Module video-buf" not found".

PS. Keep looking for a solution/tweak. Thanks a lot!

rcrsn51

#14 Post by rcrsn51 »

The warning message is not important. But did you run all the other modprobe commands?

modprobe r5u870
modprobe videodev
modprobe v4l1-compat
modprobe v4l2-common
For a quick test, run the command

mplayer tv://
What happens?

benny7440

#15 Post by benny7440 »

Thanks rcrsn51 for responding! I've run all of them in the order they appear. The warnings are always the same. Ran the new code you suggested & the outcome of it is included in a screenshot below. For clarity, the terminal windows at the right were opened from top to bottom as follows:
  • 1) from the desktop icon;
    2) from the root/.packages folder by right clicking there & opening a terminal there;
    3) from the cards' folder that holds the PET file.
In all cases the result was the same. Hoping for the best but keep looking around![/list]

[/img]
Attachments
last-trial.png
(122.26 KiB) Downloaded 357 times

rcrsn51

#16 Post by rcrsn51 »

Have you actually installed this PET - ie. by clicking on it?

benny7440

#17 Post by benny7440 »

Yes, it was installed. :?:

PS. Preparing to make a temporary frugal install, but some kind of corruption occurred in a few folders from one of my CFCards as well as in the hdd. Going to concentrate in the weekend on backing up a few thousand files from hdd, re-learning how to zip a group of files & upload them to the cloud; then for the installation after learning how to defragment a partition from linux.

rcrsn51

#18 Post by rcrsn51 »

If it installed correctly, you shouldn't be getting the "Module r5u870 not found" message.

I am testing this PET with Puppy 525 and it definitely installs. On your system, install the PET again and run these commands

depmod-FULL
modprobe r5u870
Preparing to make a temporary frugal install, but some kind of corruption occurred in a few folders from one of my CFCards as well as in the hdd.
It's hard to test new hardware under these conditions.

benny7440

#19 Post by benny7440 »

Thank you very much rcrsn51 for all your "good" help! And, I'm sorry that I went through some instructions with a hole in my 'cerebellum'. I thought that I was following the instructions ok but there was a catch: since I'm running PL 511 from the livecd & RAM with no pupsave file everything I do in one session is lost at the next, unless I take specific precautions for making any change persistent. Something I didn't.
All the above means that, after running the command <mplayer tv://> I was almost kicked out of the chair (saw myself in the screen...). The 2nd command there still gave me a 'Fatal Error' message but it worked at the end.
My other problem now with Skype is the audio. I've never used or saw someone using that api, so I've been guessing that if this notebook has a built-in mic, it should be useful for this kind of communication: am I wrong on this?
Any help with the mic will be very much appreciated!
Thanks again for your help!

rcrsn51

#20 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent. Just for clarification, do you need the second group of modprobe commands to make your webcam work?

modprobe videodev
modprobe v4l1-compat
modprobe v4l2-common
The 2nd command there still gave me a 'Fatal Error' message but it worked at the end.
Please explain. Are you talking about "modprobe video-buf"?