How to make new DVD with 5.25 and saved settings? Solved

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
Luxeon

How to make new DVD with 5.25 and saved settings? Solved

#1 Post by Luxeon »

I have a multisession DVD with Puppy 5.2.

I would like to make a new DVD with 5.25, and move my settings and programs from the old DVD to the new. I have read many threads here, but wasn't sure that anything covered my question.

Anyone know how to do this?
It is probably dead-simple, but I'm just missing it.

Edit: oh...I think I fond a post from Flash which may describe the solution:

"What I do is, burn a new multisession DVD with the new iso, then click the "save" icon on the desktop. That transfers all my settings to the new DVD."

So, I would start puppy 5.2 and remove the DVD.
Place a blank DVD into the DVD burner.
Use Puppy 5.2 to burn the Puppy 5.25 iso to the new DVD.
Click the save button.
Done!

Is this accurate?

Puppy is freaking brilliant. Wish I had more time to really learn it. But, part of the brilliance is that a novice like myself can often figure things out.

Thanks,
Bob
Last edited by Luxeon on Fri 03 Jun 2011, 10:25, edited 1 time in total.

Jasper

#2 Post by Jasper »

Hi,
So, I would start puppy 5.2 and remove the DVD.
Place a blank DVD into the DVD burner.
Use Puppy 5.2 to burn the Puppy 5.25 iso to the new DVD.
Click the save button.
Done!

Is this accurate?
Yes - make the new DVD multisession [and if the original DVD is rewritable - do not reuse it before you test your new DVD - and even then, ideally keep it as a backup]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

I would only add that Puppy's Menu -> Multisession -> Burniso2cd has never failed to make a good multisession CD or DVD for me. I have also used Pburn to burn a good multisession CD and DVD. If you're using a rewritable CD or DVD, you may need to blank the disk before burning it, whichever burning program you use. Use Pburn to blank the disk. Just use fast blank. No need to blank the entire disk.

Luxeon

#4 Post by Luxeon »

Hey, I did it!

I originally received some error messages, but it appears to have worked...I think.
The new DVD looks just like the old one, including the Puppy 5.2 desktop. I'm not sure how to confirm that it is truly 5.25.

I looked at the 5.25 release notes and compared the versions of some of the programs, and they do match (Asunder is 2.1, it has Pclock and Ptiming, etc).

But, 5.25's Nathan wallpaper setter has more wallpaper to choose from, whereas my new DVD has less.

How do I determine what version is on the new DVD?

EDIT! I found the cat /etc/puppysession command.
5.25 it is.

Jasper

#5 Post by Jasper »

Hi,

Congratulations.

Did you go to the News section of Lucid Puppy News (access can be via Quickpet) and add the "Instant Update 001 for Lucid Puppy 5.2.5"?

My regards

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

Luxeon wrote:Hey, I did it!

I originally received some error messages, but it appears to have worked...I think.
Can you tell us anything about the error messages? The first boot after saving, you should have seen a long list of what's being updated and changed.
...How do I determine what version is on the new DVD?
Look in /etc/puppyversion.

Jasper

#7 Post by Jasper »

Hi Flash,

When changing versions I think an "error" message or two is to be expected and nothing to worry about.

My regards

PS Offtopic - I also have a Kensington roller ball mouse (though not the same version as yours).

Luxeon

#8 Post by Luxeon »

I don't recall the errors, sorry. Something about "detected (something) on the disk." I wrote it down, but I think my 3 year-old disposed of it...or ate it.
There was another error stating the new disk was full.

Also, I can't find "Instant update 001 for Lucid Puppy" in the Quickpet/Puppy Package Manager.

Bob