Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 01 Oct 2014, 23:01
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Legacy OS 2 Released (Download Now!)
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 3 of 7 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
caieng

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jun 2011, 06:26    Post_subject:  

Before downloading, may I inquire whether or not VLC will work with this distro?
Since it does not appear to be included with the download, how do we go about installing it, if it can be used?

Am I correct in understanding Lobster's post, that Opera 11 works as browser for this "legacy" OS?

On windows 98, I must use Opera 10.10, and an older version of VLC, 0.86f, however, both work just fine, I must confess.

I found that the newer Linux versions would not work with my older video card, as you noted, however, on further examination, it turns out that it was NOT my 12 year old video card (Trident) that Linux (newer versions) choked upon, but rather, the even older color monitor. The monitor finally gave way, and when it did, I replaced it with a "new" monitor, only five years old, and voila, the same card, same Linux, worked fine.

Puppy, 4.x worked fine with that old monitor, but on inspection, I observed that the plug was missing several gold pins, evidently not part of the older specification, when that monitor was constructed, perhaps about twenty years ago...

With most current versions of Linux, I am unable to achieve a proper resolution with my newest monitor, (exceptions, Puppy, and PCLOS with the Drake control center), as I can do effortlessly with windows 98, i.e. 1280 x 1024. Something to do with HDMI I suppose, for I continue to use the old VGA plug....

Smile

I like everything about Puppy, old and newer versions, save for the fact that VLC does not install, at least, I cannot get it to work with VLC. I cannot understand why VLC is not included with the default, downloaded distro. I am way past willing to fool around with Aqualung and the rest of the defective streaming audio players. No VLC, no interest.

regards,
CAI ENG
Sage

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jun 2011, 07:04    Post_subject:  

Just got my first look, john - absolutely magnificent.
All those whimpering tw*ts should ditch their modern cr*p and search the skips & dumpsters for decade-old boards - it's all one needs with this masterpiece.
That bridge looks familiar - it isn't Syndey's steel, is it!
john biles

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jun 2011, 11:06    Post_subject:  

Hello caieng,
Legacy OS 2 comes with VLC 8.6 and Opera 10.10 by default. No need to install anything!
For the record Opera 11 with run but produces error messages when you close it.

Arrr Sage!
What can I say if I did a "Studio 4" (http://getstudio4.com/) with Legacy OS 2, I'd use your last post as a Testimonial.

Quote:
Sage says: Just got my first look, john - absolutely magnificent.
All those whimpering tw*ts should ditch their modern cr*p and search the skips & dumpsters for decade-old boards - it's all one needs with this masterpiece.

As for the bridge, I have no idea got the image in a collection of GPL wallpapers.

gnomic

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jun 2011, 11:39    Post_subject: vlc in puppy
Sub_title: slightly off topic

Maybe veering off topic, but . . . for the benefit of caieng
VLC will certainly run in Puppy, or some Puppies at any rate. For a very recent rather good current example see snowpuppy.And of course it works in Legacy!

It may be considered a bit bloated for minimalist Puppy versions.
Sylvander

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jun 2011, 14:58    Post_subject:  

@ john biles
Oh dear no!

Tried Legacy OS 2, and it wouldn't boot on my hardware. Sad

The last Puppy of yours I got to work is Teenpup Mini 2010 beta.

This is getting to be a habit.
I'm desperate to try your offerings, but cannot get them to boot! Confused

Am I doing something wrong or what?
caieng

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jun 2011, 16:00    Post_subject:  

Thank you John, now downloading, will report back....

CAI ENG
eternal-sunshine

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jun 2011, 16:36    Post_subject:  

Hello John,

Thank you for your reply and your explanation of some of the background to Legacy OS2, although I believe I was aware of most of that already. Despite my limited number of posts I have been experimenting with Puppy for several years and my current test PC now has 24 Puppys on it. ( I just counted and was shocked) Shocked

Quote:
I know It will boot and run only on so many computers out there and no Linux Distro will boot 100% on every hardware combo out there.

Although I would agree with you in general I still felt your Legacy OS2 should run on my PC as I can run 214 and 214X so I tried today and am happy to report I have it working.

So for the sake of others (including Sylvander who I see has just posted) I hope what I learned may be of some help.

1. As Legacy OS2 is based on the old Puppy 214 I tried frugal and full installs on both ext2 and ext3 partitions using the old 214 which worked fine on this PC. But there are certainly differences between 214 and Legacy OS2 (as there are with 214X from ttuuxxx) as far as booting is concerned.

2. A Full install (Normal as the Installer calls it) of Legacy OS2 boots with a grub2 stanza of

Code:
menuentry     “Legacy OS2  full on hdb6” {
set      root=(hd1,6)
linux   /boot/vmlinuz  PMEDIA=idehd  root=/dev/hdb6
}

Obviously this was to my hdb6 partition. Change the number accordingly to where you install yours.
I have NOT tried it but I guess that using Grub legacy that would translate to

Code:
title      Legacy OS2 full on hdb6
root      (hd1,5)
kernel    /boot/vmlinuz   PMEDIA=idehd    root=/dev/hdb6

3. Then I tried a Frugal (or Co-exist as the Installer calls it) install
Grub 2 stanza is

Code:
menuentry     “Legacy OS2 frugal on hdb6” {
set   root=(hd1,6)
linux     /boot/vmlinuz  root=/dev/ram0   PMEDIA=idehd 
initrd    /boot/initrd.gz
}

Or in Grub-legacy land I guess that would be (but not tested myself):
Code:
title      Legacy OS2 frugal on hdb6
root      (hd1,5)
kernel    /boot/vmlinuz   root=/dev/ram0  PMEDIA=idehd
initrd     /boot/initrd.gz

In the frugal install case I had to manually move the vmlinuz and initrd.gz files to be under /boot/ or I could not get it to boot. The other files can stay where the Installer put them.

4. Notice also that I could get it to boot even if the partition was ext3 not just ext2. ( I haven’t tried using ext3 yet for a full install.)

Other things noticed:

5. The PC I am using (about 7 years old and with an SiS chip set which is always a challenge) has 2 HDDs and partitions up to hdb13. I noticed that partitions after hdb9 and sdb8 do not have a mount point or node in /dev/. This explains why I couldn’t get it to run frugally in an hdb12 partition before but not why it runs in full mode in hdb12.

6. In either full or frugal mode PMount recognises a partition over the above limit eg hdb10 but generates an error when you try to open it. MUT also recognises them but crashes the system in Full mode when you try to open it. In either full or frugal mode trying to open one of these partitions will generate strange nodes in /dev/ afterwards eg /dev/hdb1216. I helped in a small way with 214X where we found some strange node issues so I guess this is a remnant of the original 214.

7. Also I guess another remnant of 214 is that Legacy will pick up and use a pup-save file and I believe a pup_214 file from another 214 install that is hanging around on another partition of the same HDD. Long live sub-directories.

8. The suggestion on page 2 of this thread to use root=dev/ram0 works well for frugals but not for Full (Normal) installs.

Sorry for the long message but hope this helps someone who like me is trying to get this booting, now or in the future. By the way although I usually do frugal installs I do appreciate that frugal is not necessarily the way to go with a Puppy that has a 700MB pup-file.

But as I said before, thank you John for all your hard work.

NB edited to correct a few typos.

Edited_time_total
caieng

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jun 2011, 21:00    Post_subject:  

Hi John,

Many thanks, again, for your excellent work here. Installation was smooth, and uncomplicated.

Neither Opera nor Konqueror work with VLC, however.

VLC is installed, it is right on the desktop, but, when I seek to invoke it, by clicking on the aac+, OGG, or mp3 icons here:
http://www.listenlive.eu/classical.html

nothing happens.

That's atypical in my experience.
Perhaps I lack skill with both older apps, and with Puppy, as well as Linux in general.

With win98, after installing the same old versions of opera and vlc, i.e. same versions as you placed on Legacy OS, there is nothing to configure, VLC works perfectly, in harmony with Opera. The user just clicks on the icon, and music is released from the dusty speakers....

I do appreciate your fine efforts, but, I cannot use Legacy OS as it presently functions.

Regards,

CAI ENG
oligin10

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jun 2011, 10:11    Post_subject:  

Hi John, just wanted to say congratulations! I was just over at Softpedia, and you have the #1 linux download for the past 7 days, over 4400 downloads.
Rob
russoodle

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jun 2011, 10:15    Post_subject:  

Don't know how many downloads from DW, John, but Legacy OS is #11 on the hit list Smile
Puppyt

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun 2011, 02:20    Post_subject:  

Thanks, eternal-sunshine for your very detailed recipe on frugal-installing Legacy2.0 with a kennel of other kernels already loaded. Your notes on Grub issues and sub-directories have saved me a heap of hair loss - I wondered how to get around a stalling install, and had already PM'd JB before I saw this thread.
JB - in your debt, as ever - thanks for all your hard work here with Legacy...I'm closer to testing it now.

P.S. I agree with Sage - old boxes rock. They were built to last, back in them thar days...

gnomic

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun 2011, 02:31    Post_subject: legacy os 2
Sub_title: more testing

Tried to boot on a Compaq Armada E500 P3 laptop. Boot ground to a halt at 'loading isolinux. Disk error 4E, AX=4200, drive 9F.' Tried a couple of times. I was then able to boot a distro called zenix on this machine using the same brand of CDR, in this case badged by Verbatim, made by CMC.

Took the CD to a generic desktop, 1.7GHz Celeron. Initially got a similar message. 'Disk error 80, AX-4280 drive 9F.' Second run the process stalled at 'Loading Kernel modules . . . after Checking version. Take 3 booted to the desktop.

The good news was that wifi worked on this machine to an open access point. The wifi card has an Atheros AR5212 chip. No firmware required so the kernel in use must be supporting some Atheros cards at least. Will try to check on a setup requiring authentication.

By the way, the only chipset for which firmware is provided is Intel ipw2200. The wifi firmware usually located in /lib/firmware doesn't occupy a lot of space. Perhaps consider providing this in future or revised versions?
gnomic

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun 2011, 06:42    Post_subject: more testing
Sub_title: return of the P3 laptop

In fresh exciting news to hand the Armada E500 has booted Legacy OS 2 twice now. This from current live session. PIII at 600 MHz, 320MB RAM. No builtin network aside from a modem which doesn't seem to be recognised. However plugged in a 10MB 3Com PCMCIA card and connected to the wifi router ethernet socket and up on the web.

Some troubles with video. Xorg produced a hang - 'Legacy OS 2 is probing your video hardware - please wait'. I didn't have forever so rebooted. It was possible to get a console at this point but didn't seem to be able to login. Next pass was xvesa, which resulted in a squished up discoloured screen on about 60% of the LCD. From there the xvesa wizard got a full screen and a snippet of music. Huzza, sound and light!

As you can see Opera ran, and hence this post. Now can I get lspci copied here? Jolly good, albeit with some difficulty. At least the trackpad is working as mouse and not being too scatty. The ATI card seems to be problematic in several distros and the machine does have a tendency to start with shrunken video. No swap on the E500 which has Windows installed. I think it still boots . . .

sh-3.00# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX Host bridge (rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX AGP bridge (rev 03)
00:04.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1225 (rev 01)
00:04.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1225 (rev 01)
00:07.0 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)
00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)
00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 03)
00:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology ES1978 Maestro 2E (rev 10)
00:09.0 Communication controller: Agere Systems WinModem 56k (rev 01)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility P/M AGP 2x (rev 64)
eternal-sunshine

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun 2011, 07:35    Post_subject:  

Puppyt wrote
Quote:
Thanks, eternal-sunshine for your very detailed recipe on frugal-installing Legacy2.0....

You are welcome. Glad it helped someone.
Very Happy
john biles

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun 2011, 10:41    Post_subject:  

Hello gnomic,
My test PC's range from 350mhz 192mbs of ram Tower up. I can't remember when Legacy OS didn't boot. It sadden me to see a number of users like yourself having this amount of trouble.

Hello eternal-sunshine,
Thank you for sharing your experiences I sure it would have helped someone.

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 3 of 7 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum