Gramps: genealogical research program

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
muggins

Gramps: genealogical research program

#1 Post by muggins »

http://gramps-project.org/

Made from the latest sourceforge debian release. It needs the attached libdb-4.4.so.pet, plus Technosaurus's Python%2B-2.6.4-i486.pet.

I've uploaded to mediafire here:

gramps-3.4.2-1.pet (3.22Mbytes)
gramps-NLS-3.4.2-1.pet (4.42Mbytes)

Run via Menu>Personal>Personal Info>Gramps

If you want to try the debian graphviz & ttf-freefont packages, I've converted them to pets here:

graphviz-2.26.3-12-i386.pet
ttf-freefont-20090104-5.pet

N.B. If run from the commandline it will give an error about missing spell checker.
Attachments
gramps.png
(46.67 KiB) Downloaded 3862 times
Last edited by muggins on Tue 26 Sep 2017, 21:50, edited 6 times in total.

eztuxer

#2 Post by eztuxer »

Thanks, muggins, just need to learn how to use it now.
Don't poop it down... Pup it Up !

muggins

#3 Post by muggins »

Uploaded v3.3.1-1.pet.

MoebusNet

#4 Post by MoebusNet »

muggins wrote:Uploaded v3.3.1-1.pet.
Installed Python+-2.6.4-i486.pet, libdb-4.4.so.pet, gramps-NLS-3.3.1-1.pet, gramps-3.3.1-1.pet in that order. Packages installed properly, program opens and runs. Lucid Puppy 5.28. Great job!
Acer Aspire One D255-2301 (N450 Atom @ 1.6 Ghz, 1 Gb RAM, 160 Gb HDD w/WinXP, ENE SD card reader, Alps touchpad) 5.28/5.3.1 via manual-frugal ext4 USB flash drive (4Gb) using GRUB4DOS

zippytex

installing gramps in puppy 528

#5 Post by zippytex »

I follow the order of installation as above. There it is under menu, personal.

Thank you so much, for all the hard work you've done!! :P

zippytex

Pet package for gramps

#6 Post by zippytex »

I downloaded and installed the four packages.
I found gramps in the personal tab.
However, it will not execute the program.
I installed the Lucid puppy 528

Dell latitude c400, 1.2 ghz, 800mb ram

Thanks for you help.

muggins

#7 Post by muggins »

Hello Zippytex,

I don't have an install of lupu528, but I do of lupu528-004-alt, which is pretty much the same, under the hood. On that I just installed the gramps pet, and it definitely started from the menu, and also from the commandline. (with a couple of errors with the latter about missing spellchecker, and some other plugin).

When you downloaded the pets, did you use a downloader that can resume breaks in trransmission? Because perhaps one the downloads was corrupted. For mediafire, (for the gramps package), you can just use, (in a console):

Code: Select all

wget -c URL-of-gramps-package
Or, what error do you get, if you just enter gramps in a console?

zippytex

gramps on puppy lucid 528

#8 Post by zippytex »

muggins wrote:Hello Zippytex,

I don't have an install of lupu528, but I do of lupu528-004-alt, which is pretty much the same, under the hood. On that I just installed the gramps pet, and it definitely started from the menu, and also from the commandline. (with a couple of errors with the latter about missing spellchecker, and some other plugin).

When you downloaded the pets, did you use a downloader that can resume breaks in trransmission? Because perhaps one the downloads was corrupted. For mediafire, (for the gramps package), you can just use, (in a console):

wget -c URL-of-gramps-package
Or, what error do you get, if you just enter gramps in a console?

Thanks for responding. Below is the console message.

sh-4.1# gramps
/usr/bin/gramps: line 28: /usr/bin/python: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/gramps: line 28: exec: /usr/bin/python: cannot execute: No such file

I am going to download the pet file via console.
Thank you.

zippytex

gramps on puppy lucid 528

#9 Post by zippytex »

It gave index.html as a place to go to. I opened the file and it took me to a century web site with nothing to do with gramps.

http://webhelper.centurylink.com/index. ... ex.html&r=

the above is where the index.html took me to.

Thanks

zippytex

Muggins- It was the first python file listed

#10 Post by zippytex »

It was a case of not knowing where to put the extracted file, so I made up a folder and extracted it there.

I downloaded the python +-2.6.4-i486.pet and extracted it to a folder I created called 'downloads/extract' and the extraction created a folder called Python+-2.6.4-i486. Inside that folder were two more folders, called, usr and var and file called pet.specs.
Inside the usr file are two folders called, bin and lib.
Inside the bin folder were files called python and python2.6
I merged the all the files to the 'real' storage place for these files, root/usr

Now it works. I hope I haven't screwed it up for anything else. I would have to just reformat and start all over.

I need to learn more about extraction and where to do it.

Thanks!

muggins

#11 Post by muggins »

/usr/bin/gramps: line 28: /usr/bin/python: No such file or directory 
The above indicates that the python pet didn't download properly, as it does have /usr/bin/python, as you later confirmed.

You didn't say if you were using a downloader that can resume. Two, for firefox, are FlashGot and DownThemAll. Or, under the menu, in the
internet subsection, you could use Uget.

Regarding downloading just an index file, from Mediafire, if you had refreshed the mediafire page, then the link would be right.

If the pets aren't corrupted, just clicking them should have installed them. However if you want to look inside, to see what they contain, copy xxx.pet to xxx.tgz, then, when clicked, choose No to install, and they will be opened with xarchive.

Glad you got it working eventully.

zippytex

downloading the first python file

#12 Post by zippytex »

When I start to install it, it asks me do I want to install it in an existing archive or make a new one. What do I answer? Thanks

Sylvander

Re: downloading the first python file

#13 Post by Sylvander »

zippytex wrote:existing archive or make a new one. What do I answer?
1. Background:
I haven't been following this thread, and I don't use Gramps, because I've used the Windows program = "RootsMagic" for years now...
But....

2. This sounds like you've run the Gramps program for the 1st time, and it's doing what all Genealogical programs do...
Which is to give you the opportunity to...
Either import an EXISTING archive...
Or else...
Set up or make a NEW archive.
So...

3. Do you already have an existing archive set up and in use?
My database has been made in a folder I made and specified to be the home of the [35] database files.

(a) It is possible to make multiple databases, each for a different Family Tree.
And/or...
(b) You can import another family tree [provided by someone else?] into your own tree.
[Importing can produce a single combined tree, if you do the right thing as explained below]
If I remember right, to make them connect to become a single tree, you need to LINK two people who have some relationship.
It helps to know/plan in advance whom you will link, and what should be the result.
Beware of the result producing duplicate individuals, if they exist in both the original trees!
(c) You can have a combined tree [new combined database] PLUS the original 2 separate trees [the original 2 databases]
Can't remember the details of how I did this.

zippytex

THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

#14 Post by zippytex »

I do not know what I did the first time, but this time I downloaded all four packages and installed them (I do not remember the order). It worked! Before it had been in personal, but would not execute, but this time, it did! I sure do thank you for all your hard work!! It means a lot to me!. I installed gramps on a Dell latitude c400 (ultra-light) with 1 gb memory, 1.2ghz cpu, running slacko. I was going to run roots magic with wine, but gramps is better. Thanks! :P

autofyrsto

Gramps 3.4.0

#15 Post by autofyrsto »

Thanks for these! I'm new to Puppy, and these .pets got me off on the right foot.

After installing Gramps-3.3.1 as described above, making .pets for the latest Gramps-3.4.0 was a snap. I uninstalled Gramps-3.3.1 before I installed these, and they seem to work just fine. Enjoy!

gramps-3.4.0.pet (3.13 Mbytes)
gramps_NLS-3.4.0.pet (4.33 Mbytes)

tallboy

#16 Post by tallboy »

Which puppy was this made for? Here is the result from trying to install it in dpup4.84-beta4_2.6.30. All earlier gramps pets have run normal. And suddenly all the borders around the buttons in my JWM are gone! Did you include your own setup in the .pet?

4189: WARNING: Spell.py: line 60: Spelling checker is not installed
7985: ERROR: grampsgui.py: line 316: Gramps failed to start.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/share/gramps/gui/grampsgui.py", line 292, in __startgramps
Gramps(argparser)
File "/usr/local/share/gramps/gui/grampsgui.py", line 213, in __init__
register_stock_icons()
File "/usr/local/share/gramps/gui/grampsgui.py", line 165, in register_stock_icons
base_reg_stock_icons(iconpaths, extraiconsize, items+items_legacy)
File "/usr/local/share/gramps/gui/pluginmanager.py", line 90, in base_reg_stock_icons
pixbuf = gtk.gdk.pixbuf_new_from_file (icon_file)
GError: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/local/share/gramps/images/gramps.png'

** (gramps.py:14136): WARNING **: Pixbuf theme: Cannot load pixmap file /usr/share/themes/Chrome-Like/gtk-2.0/focus.png: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/themes/Chrome-Like/gtk-2.0/focus.png'

/usr/local/share/gramps/GrampsLogger/_ErrorView.py:68: GtkWarning: gdk_pixbuf_get_width: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed
response = self.top.run()
/usr/local/share/gramps/GrampsLogger/_ErrorView.py:68: GtkWarning: gdk_pixbuf_get_height: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

** (gramps.py:14136): WARNING **: Invalid borders specified for theme pixmap:
/usr/share/themes/Chrome-Like/gtk-2.0/focus.png,
borders don't fit within the image
/usr/local/share/gramps/GrampsLogger/_ErrorView.py:68: GtkWarning: gdk_pixbuf_get_n_channels: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed
/usr/local/share/gramps/GrampsLogger/_ErrorView.py:68: GtkWarning: gdk_pixbuf_get_pixels: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed
/usr/local/share/gramps/GrampsLogger/_ErrorView.py:68: GtkWarning: gdk_pixbuf_get_rowstride: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

** (gramps.py:14136): WARNING **: Pixbuf theme: Cannot load pixmap file /usr/share/themes/Chrome-Like/gtk-2.0/button-normal.png: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/themes/Chrome-Like/gtk-2.0/button-normal.png'

/usr/share/themes/Chrome-Like/gtk-2.0/button-normal.png,

tallboy

muggins

#17 Post by muggins »

Tallboy,

are you referring to Autofyrsto's pet, or mine?

If the first, which Python package have you installed? I had a cursory look at Autofyrsto's package, and it seems to run, with lupu525, with only the following errors:

./gramps
2892: WARNING: Spell.py: line 60: Spelling checker is not installed
WARNING: osmgpsmap module not loaded. Geography functionality will not be available.
WARNING: pyexiv2 module not loaded.  Image metadata functionality will not be available.
Edit: I wonder if you didn''t uninstall, your previous version of gramps, whether there could be any conflict?

tallboy

#18 Post by tallboy »

Your Gramps 2.6 and 3.3 pets run just fine, muggins, I was referring to the autofyrsto's 3.4 version in the post above.

I run the Python+2.6.4-i486.pet package.

I have Python, libgd2, libdb-4, graphwiz-2.2 and gramps in a directory on a USB HD (with my dpup485 on a DVD multisession-'partition'), and install when I need them.

BTW, I just installed the gramps 3.3 with the same additional applications in my dpup4.84-beta4, and it runs just like it should.

tallboy

muggins

#19 Post by muggins »

Well I downloaded dpup485, booted it, then installed autofyrsto's package. Whilst I didn't get the pixmap probs that tallboy reported, it still wouldn't run.

Being a python dunderhead, I didn't want to try & unravel why, so instead made a .pet of the 3.4.0 debian package & it seems OK.

If you want to try, see first post.

muggins

#20 Post by muggins »

Has anyone tried java-based Ancestris?