Legacy OS 2 Released (Download Now!)

News, happenings
Sage

#21 Post by Sage »

Most of us are aware of your ground rules, john, and have adequate reading + comprehension skills. However, you are always going to run into these problems with one nation. They don't have the latter, they are groomed from birth to landfill everything once a year and it's considered macho to buy the latest and greatest shiny toys. The only answer is a nuke, a tsunami, the promised fault line collapse or caldera reactivation. Just keep doing what you are doing, john, it's well appreciated elsewhere.

oligin10

#22 Post by oligin10 »

Sorry, but I didn't realize that one nation has all the incompetents in the world. I thought they were spread throughout all the world. :D
P.S. Sorry, but I take offense when verbally attacking someone's home or fellow countrymen. I thought this was a forum for Puppy Linux, not for political viewpoints. I try to keep my opinions of people to myself, and I definitely try not to judge someone because of where they are from. I myself don't just buy because it is newer. I run a windows xp along with my puppy linux, and am very happy with it. I also work as a high speed internet installer, and tell people all the time that their computer does not need replaced. People tend to believe marketing hype ( here and all around the world) and want to try the latest and greatest. Thanks, Rob

8-bit

#23 Post by 8-bit »

john biles,

Any chance of having a torrent download for those that do not have a fast internet connection?

Thanks

gcmartin

#24 Post by gcmartin »

John Biles wrote: ... Legacy OS 2 was tested and successfully installed on 12 PC's and 3 Laptops. ...
Hi John Biles; sounds like you are a LAN admin somewhere. If so, you MAY want to be aware of a technology introduced earlier this year by JamesBond which allows you to have PCs boot without installing and maintaining an OS on each one of them. Simple to setup and simple for any user to boot and run his/her PC.

You only have to maintain one ISO and never have to "setup" any machine(s) on your LAN....an Administrator's (or anyone who supports multiple PCs over al LAN) dream.

Its here for you to review and use.

Hope this helps.

john biles

#25 Post by john biles »

Hello 8-bit,
There's a link to russoodle's site for those having trouble through Softpedia.

Download here: http://www.puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet. ... y-OS-2.iso

Hello gcmartin,
Those 15 computers are different makes and models that are used to test booting and installing on. Their not on a network and most of them only get brought out of storage for testing. I will how ever look at the link you've supplied.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#26 Post by Lobster »

I wanted to know which browser is used and size of download
(it is Opera and 700MB)

SneekyLinux provides a Youtube video for a complete run through
http://youtu.be/hZkRwz1GoRE

He is also doing one shortly on installing
the new Legacy with a full install

Congratulations John 8)
Thanks Sneeky

Puppy Linux
Our Legacy is Renewed
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

eternal-sunshine

installation issues

#27 Post by eternal-sunshine »

Hello John,
Firstly thank you for all your hard work in making Legacy 0S2.

I usually download a version of Puppy as an iso and then just manually install the individual files (vmlinuz, initrd, pup_xxx.sfs etc) as a frugal install into a subdirectory of an ext3 partition, where all my other Puppies reside. But it now seems that this is not possible with Legacy OS2.

So I burned a CD and it ran fine from the live CD using pfix=ram.

Then I tried to do a full install using the built-in installer to a new ext2 partition and finally got it booting using the following grub2 stanza:

Code: Select all

menuentry "legacy OS2 on sdb12" {
set    root=(hd1,12)
linux  /boot/vmlinuz  PMEDIA=idehd  root=/dev/sdb12
} 
I guess in grub-legacy it would be

title   legacy OS2
root     (hd1,11)
kernel   /boot/vmlinuz   PMEDIA=idehd  root=/dev/sdb12
Note that contrary to what is said earlier in this thread

root=/dev/ram0
did not work for me.

So I now tried to do a frugal install in a new ext2 partition, using the built-in installer, which seemed to complete but I have been unable to get it to boot from grub this time.

JFYI I have 15 other puppies from series 2, 4 and 5 all booting happily on this system ( a 7 year old PC) including ttuuxxx's 214X but yours seems to be the only one that needs to reside on an ext2 partition and the only one I can't seem to boot from grub.

Can you possible shed some light on why I can't do a frugal boot but a full install works? Also I am a bit surprised that it needs to run in ext2 (I have ttuuxxx's 214X happy in ext3). Out of curiosity was there a specific reason for this?
I really hope we can get this running as it seems such a great effort on your part.

Many thanks

john biles

#28 Post by john biles »

Hello eternal-sunshine,
ttuuxxx's 214X version is a major overhaul of a number of system files in the Puppy Series 2 releases which relate to the installer, xorg, gtk the list goes on and on! If you look at the development post for 214X you'll see it's one of the biggest ever on this forum with page after page of feedback from testers / users.
Legacy OS 2 started life as Puppy 2.14 with only minimum updates to main system files. This without seeing if the original Puppy 2.14 release acts the same way or not on your computer might explain why your having this trouble.
In all truth ttuuxxx is a very gifted programmer who's knowledge excedes mine by a long way. Each release I create reflects my growing knowledge of Linux in general. In truth Legacy OS is an experiment to see how far an old legacy OS can be pushed. I know It will boot and run only on so many computers out there and no Linux Distro will boot 100% on every hardware combo out there.
Example: Ubuntu since 8.10 won't boot up to a desktop on this PC. Why? Ubuntu dropped support for my legacy graphic card.
Nothing would make me happier to find that Legacy OS 2 worked as expected on every computer ever made. But we know this isn't going to happen.

gnomic

legacy

#29 Post by gnomic »

First run with Legacy OS 2 on this ThinkPad Z60m, 1.86GHz Pentium M, 1 G RAM, Intel i915 video. It booted in RAM on this machine, allowing the CD to be ejected, without requiring any special boot parameters. When I tried to connect with the ipw2200 wireless and WPA/TKIP, failed to get a connection. Guessing this is a problem with authenticating. The machine sees a PC Card with atheros AR2413 I had left inserted (after using another live CD with no firmware) but I was unable to get this to do anything in brief trials. In recent kernels this card works without need for firmware. With Legacy dmesg indicates the card is seen and it is recognised by the network setup utility. The Broadcom ethernet works OK. bcm5751m aka tg3. Will try to drag out a couple of older machines and test further.

john biles

#30 Post by john biles »

Hello gnomic,
Thanks any feedback you can provide if you are successful in getting wireless going will be collected for inclusion in future documentation.

Please list Hardware you have success with also if you want.

caieng

#31 Post by caieng »

Before downloading, may I inquire whether or not VLC will work with this distro?
Since it does not appear to be included with the download, how do we go about installing it, if it can be used?

Am I correct in understanding Lobster's post, that Opera 11 works as browser for this "legacy" OS?

On windows 98, I must use Opera 10.10, and an older version of VLC, 0.86f, however, both work just fine, I must confess.

I found that the newer Linux versions would not work with my older video card, as you noted, however, on further examination, it turns out that it was NOT my 12 year old video card (Trident) that Linux (newer versions) choked upon, but rather, the even older color monitor. The monitor finally gave way, and when it did, I replaced it with a "new" monitor, only five years old, and voila, the same card, same Linux, worked fine.

Puppy, 4.x worked fine with that old monitor, but on inspection, I observed that the plug was missing several gold pins, evidently not part of the older specification, when that monitor was constructed, perhaps about twenty years ago...

With most current versions of Linux, I am unable to achieve a proper resolution with my newest monitor, (exceptions, Puppy, and PCLOS with the Drake control center), as I can do effortlessly with windows 98, i.e. 1280 x 1024. Something to do with HDMI I suppose, for I continue to use the old VGA plug....

:)

I like everything about Puppy, old and newer versions, save for the fact that VLC does not install, at least, I cannot get it to work with VLC. I cannot understand why VLC is not included with the default, downloaded distro. I am way past willing to fool around with Aqualung and the rest of the defective streaming audio players. No VLC, no interest.

regards,
CAI ENG

Sage

#32 Post by Sage »

Just got my first look, john - absolutely magnificent.
All those whimpering tw*ts should ditch their modern cr*p and search the skips & dumpsters for decade-old boards - it's all one needs with this masterpiece.
That bridge looks familiar - it isn't Syndey's steel, is it!

john biles

#33 Post by john biles »

Hello caieng,
Legacy OS 2 comes with VLC 8.6 and Opera 10.10 by default. No need to install anything!
For the record Opera 11 with run but produces error messages when you close it.

Arrr Sage!
What can I say if I did a "Studio 4" (http://getstudio4.com/) with Legacy OS 2, I'd use your last post as a Testimonial.
Sage says: Just got my first look, john - absolutely magnificent.
All those whimpering tw*ts should ditch their modern cr*p and search the skips & dumpsters for decade-old boards - it's all one needs with this masterpiece.
As for the bridge, I have no idea got the image in a collection of GPL wallpapers.

gnomic

vlc in puppy

#34 Post by gnomic »

Maybe veering off topic, but . . . for the benefit of caieng
VLC will certainly run in Puppy, or some Puppies at any rate. For a very recent rather good current example see snowpuppy.And of course it works in Legacy!

It may be considered a bit bloated for minimalist Puppy versions.

Sylvander

#35 Post by Sylvander »

@ john biles
Oh dear no!

Tried Legacy OS 2, and it wouldn't boot on my hardware. :(

The last Puppy of yours I got to work is Teenpup Mini 2010 beta.

This is getting to be a habit.
I'm desperate to try your offerings, but cannot get them to boot! :?

Am I doing something wrong or what?

caieng

#36 Post by caieng »

Thank you John, now downloading, will report back....

CAI ENG

eternal-sunshine

#37 Post by eternal-sunshine »

Hello John,

Thank you for your reply and your explanation of some of the background to Legacy OS2, although I believe I was aware of most of that already. Despite my limited number of posts I have been experimenting with Puppy for several years and my current test PC now has 24 Puppys on it. ( I just counted and was shocked) :shock:
I know It will boot and run only on so many computers out there and no Linux Distro will boot 100% on every hardware combo out there.
Although I would agree with you in general I still felt your Legacy OS2 should run on my PC as I can run 214 and 214X so I tried today and am happy to report I have it working.

So for the sake of others (including Sylvander who I see has just posted) I hope what I learned may be of some help.

1. As Legacy OS2 is based on the old Puppy 214 I tried frugal and full installs on both ext2 and ext3 partitions using the old 214 which worked fine on this PC. But there are certainly differences between 214 and Legacy OS2 (as there are with 214X from ttuuxxx) as far as booting is concerned.

2. A Full install (Normal as the Installer calls it) of Legacy OS2 boots with a grub2 stanza of

menuentry     “Legacy OS2  full on hdb6
Last edited by eternal-sunshine on Tue 07 Jun 2011, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.

caieng

#38 Post by caieng »

Hi John,

Many thanks, again, for your excellent work here. Installation was smooth, and uncomplicated.

Neither Opera nor Konqueror work with VLC, however.

VLC is installed, it is right on the desktop, but, when I seek to invoke it, by clicking on the aac+, OGG, or mp3 icons here:
http://www.listenlive.eu/classical.html

nothing happens.

That's atypical in my experience.
Perhaps I lack skill with both older apps, and with Puppy, as well as Linux in general.

With win98, after installing the same old versions of opera and vlc, i.e. same versions as you placed on Legacy OS, there is nothing to configure, VLC works perfectly, in harmony with Opera. The user just clicks on the icon, and music is released from the dusty speakers....

I do appreciate your fine efforts, but, I cannot use Legacy OS as it presently functions.

Regards,

CAI ENG

oligin10

#39 Post by oligin10 »

Hi John, just wanted to say congratulations! I was just over at Softpedia, and you have the #1 linux download for the past 7 days, over 4400 downloads.
Rob

russoodle

#40 Post by russoodle »

Don't know how many downloads from DW, John, but Legacy OS is #11 on the hit list :)
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]