VMware Player 3.1.5

Virtual machines, emulation, etc.
TheAsterisk!

#21 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Darkgame wrote:unmodified puppy 5.2.5 does not work too.
Completely unmodified?

I assume you're still installing the devx SFS and the kernel source SFS modules, right?

I don't know what else to say, since I have VMware installed and functional, and I'm running 525 myself. I'm going to reboot into a clean Lucid 525, install the two SFS modules and try it fresh, just to make sure something weird isn't going on.

TheAsterisk!

#22 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Alright, I installed version 3.1.4 from scratch, and it worked just fine for me. (I didn't make an SFS, but if I understand you, that's not where the trouble is.)

I know this can be annoying sometimes, but I'm going to list my steps, just to make sure nothing has been conflated or lost in the din.
  • - Booted a fresh Lucid 525 installation off of my hard drive.
    - Rebooted that installation, made a savefile.
    - Selected the devx and kernel source SFS modules to load on boot. Rebooted again.
    - Copied VMware's bundle installer to /mnt/home/. Ran my PET from where it was (a flash drive, I think.)
    - VMware Player successfully installed. (A nag screen about installing things to /mnt/home/ was the only unusual popup or dialogue.)
    - Installed the hal dependency (please see first page). Rebooted.
    - Ran "vmplayer" from the terminal, agreed to their license, and ran vmplayer.
I didn't have to install the hal dependency when I did. You can install that first if you want, but whenever you do it you will either have to reboot or start a daemon manually. (Rebooting is easier.)

Darkgame

#23 Post by Darkgame »

what? I didnt know that u need the two modules!! Where can i get them?
Edit: guess u should have make it big and clear, lol.
Where are the modules?
Im dying for vmplayer!

TheAsterisk!

#24 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Oh! I'm actually relieved! I was beginning to worry this problem was going to be a real killer!

lupu_devx_525.sfs
kernel_src_L4-2.6.33.2-patched.sfs

Download those, place them in /mnt/home/ (or Puppy's sub-directory), load them with the bootmanager (Menu -> System -> "BootManager configure bootup"), and reboot Puppy. After that, try installing VMware Player again.

8) Let me know if that does it!

Darkgame

#25 Post by Darkgame »

sorry to give u a headache!
VMPlayer, here i come! Tomorrow, lol. I need sleep. Its nite here.
Phew!

Luluc

#26 Post by Luluc »

lupu_devx_525.sfs
kernel_src_L4-2.6.33.2-patched.sfs

You don't need those to install VMplayer. You need them when you run VMplayer for the first time. So the faster installation sequence is:
- install VMplayer with the pet installer;
- create the VMplayer sfs with the vmplayer-3.1.4_sfs_script script;
- add the new vmplayer.sfs, lupu_devx_525.sfs, and kernel_src_L4-2.6.33.2-patched.sfs to the boot manager;
- reboot;
- run VMplayer, let it compile and install the drivers;
- remove lupu_devx_525.sfs and kernel_src_L4-2.6.33.2-patched.sfs from the boot manager, you don't need them anymore.

I just had one glitch:
Whenever I "install" an SFS, my desktop icons get all messy, all over the place. Every time So I run the icons layout manager and reloaded a previous configuration. I did that, and I lost my VMplayer icon.

TheAsterisk!

#27 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Luluc wrote:You don't need those to install VMplayer. You need them when you run VMplayer for the first time.
You manage to get it to install otherwise? Every time I tried it on Puppy 431 without the source and compilers, it squawked at me and refused to install from the *.bundle. I don't think I've tested it without those SFSs since. Maybe my early run was a fluke?

Well, then the only other possibilities for Darkgame's troubles are that either the wrong file is in /mnt/home/, the file is in the wrong directory, or something specific to Darkgame's installation is wonky. I'm pretty sure that was well covered, though...
Whenever I "install" an SFS, my desktop icons get all messy, all over the place. Every time So I run the icons layout manager and reloaded a previous configuration. I did that, and I lost my VMplayer icon.
Hmm...
Of course, you should be able to decline the icon altogether when you run the SFS script, and you can always drag it from /usr/share/applications/ to the desktop by hand.

Is this issue specific to the VMware SFS, or just SFS modules in general?

Luluc

#28 Post by Luluc »

TheAsterisk! wrote:
Luluc wrote:Whenever I "install" an SFS, my desktop icons get all messy, all over the place. Every time So I run the icons layout manager and reloaded a previous configuration. I did that, and I lost my VMplayer icon.
Hmm...
Of course, you should be able to decline the icon altogether when you run the SFS script, and you can always drag it from /usr/share/applications/ to the desktop by hand.

Is this issue specific to the VMware SFS, or just SFS modules in general?
SFS modules in general.

But I have other problems now. Kind of a long story...

Problem #1: I installed VMplayer successfully in another savefile. A larger one, 1GB, I couldn't make it install in a 512-MB savefile. Then I created the SFS. Everything went fine, I even ran a virtual machine. Then I saved the SFS file elsewhere and... I deleted the savefile. It was just temporary, too big and a little messed up already, for I had been using it as my test bed for many days. I had another small, clean savefile waiting for me.

So I went back to the small, clean savefile and, once again, I had to use the devtools SFS and the kernel source/headers SFS. Everything went ok. But then VMplayer refuses to run, complaining about something to do with Gconf. I didn't have that problem in my old, big and messy savefile. So I installed the HAL pet recommended here, and the problem won't go away. I can't make VMplayer run at all.

Problem #2: every time I boot with the VMplayer SFS loaded in the boot manager, I lose the "spot" user. I cannot 'su spot' anymore, I get some "permission denied" error. I tried creating another user, still no go. If I unload the VMplayer SFS, spot works again on the very next boot. Conversely, if I load it back, spot is broken again on the next boot. I only tested this with the VMplayer and the Wine SFS. The Wine SFS has no harmful effect, it's just VMplayer.

I run Firefox as spot, so it is a big deal for me. I am unable to run my browser with that bug.

I don't know what to do.

TheAsterisk!

#29 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Luluc wrote:So I went back to the small, clean savefile and, once again, I had to use the devtools SFS and the kernel source/headers SFS. Everything went ok. But then VMplayer refuses to run, complaining about something to do with Gconf. I didn't have that problem in my old, big and messy savefile. So I installed the HAL pet recommended here, and the problem won't go away. I can't make VMplayer run at all.
As long as you rebooted after installing hal, it should start its services at boot-up. Otherwise, there are nag-errors about Gnome and accessibility settings. Gconf errors (the ones that matter) should go away after installing and starting hal.

If you've already done that, then I'm afraid I'm lost.
Problem #2: every time I boot with the VMplayer SFS loaded in the boot manager, I lose the "spot" user. I cannot 'su spot' anymore, I get some "permission denied" error.
Yes, I'm also getting that problem, now that I check for it, but only Lucid 525. 520 and 511 don't have the issue, at least not when I test it.

Unfortunately, I'm set for a very busy week, so I probably won't get this resolved on my own until next weekend. In the meantime, you can always try running either an earlier Puppy or an earlier VMware version. (I haven't tested 3.1.3 on Lucid 525, so using it instead may or may not solve the problem.)
Obviously, if something occurs to me I'll post it.

EDIT: I've tried tinkering with aliases, chmod, and groups and owners. Nothing.
I also can no longer "su" to other users, like nobody and webuser.

I'll test su again without X, just in case, and I'll try running 3.1.3 on Lucid 525 to see it it behaves, or if 525 is the common element.

In the meantime, I'll add a warning to the first post about this.

Darkgame

#30 Post by Darkgame »

did not have the time to test it today. Anyway, my bundle file is not *.bundle. Its *.i386, or something like that. Its still can be executed

Darkgame

#31 Post by Darkgame »

must it be a 1gb sized savefile? ive tested on a 512mb savefile and it cannot run. the installer did not find the bundle file, so i use the executable to install. End up, i have a vmplayer that cannot start up. My internet connection have 3more new connection.
after restarting the computer, it works

Darkgame

#32 Post by Darkgame »

vmplayer opens, but the vm does nothing! When i tried to close the vm, it stated: the machine is busy.
Edit: Nevermind, ive got it working. But the sfs does not work!

TheAsterisk!

#33 Post by TheAsterisk! »

@Darkgame:
Frankly, I don't see how a savefile's size could affect my script. I have installed VMware and packaged it myself from a 512 MB savefile before.

Secondly, if your VMware installer ends with i386 instead of bundle, you either have the wrong file or have accidentally renamed it. That could also be why my PET isn't working- it's looking for the original filename, but whatever you have isn't named correctly.

Thirdly, the pinstall.sh script in my PET does more than just execute the VMware bundle. It makes a few extra directories, and maybe an empty file, too. VMware Player will not run unless you have already made these directories.
The bundle by itself doesn't install neatly. It needs that extra help.

Finally, I don't mean to be rude, but I'm fairly sure you've done something wrong, but I can't figure out what (besides guessing you have the wrong filename) because you I can't understand from your posts what you have or haven't done with what files when.

Darkgame

#34 Post by Darkgame »

so can u post the link to the bundle in vmware's site? That should not be illegal and bundle is not easy to find.
Edit: or u can post the name of that bundle, i will rename it to that. VM site stated its a bundle file, and firefox stated it too. I think ive renamed it.
Sorry for yr inconvience, but i just want to play my games from a usb flashdrive when i go to my friends house, and sorry for my bad english.

Darkgame

#35 Post by Darkgame »

ok. redownloaded bundle. Everything goes well. The pet launch the bundle while installing. I cant install graphic drivers, its another problem lol. Made an sfs, gonna try tomorrow.
And, thanks alot. Hoped yr not angry!
Edit: just found out my graphic drivers pets are corrupted lol. I ran the script you have posted. The SFS does not work. Might try vmplayer 3.1.3

DanYHKim

I am very grateful for your work here

#36 Post by DanYHKim »

Thank you all so much for your contributions here. I was getting really bummed that I couldn't get VMware Player to install and run.

If it's not inappropriate, I'd like to point to a post of mine about installing VMware Player at:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 112#462112

This post has some tips on 'fixing' the .desktop file, which never shows the icon in the menu. Also there's a bit on redirecting the Temp directory.

(Note, my tips may be out of date, since they're for earlier versions of Puppy and VMplayer)[/quote]

Luluc

#37 Post by Luluc »

I am trying, once again, to migrate to Puppy. But I MUST have VMplayer working. I still have all the problems I mentioned before: VMplayer refuses to run and complains about gconf errors, installing hald does not solve it, and I still lose my "spot" user, which I need to run the browser.

Darkgame

#38 Post by Darkgame »

Luluc wrote:I am trying, once again, to migrate to Puppy. But I MUST have VMplayer working. I still have all the problems I mentioned before: VMplayer refuses to run and complains about gconf errors, installing hald does not solve it, and I still lose my "spot" user, which I need to run the browser.
load the kernel and devx sfs before doing anything. Then install vmplayer via the pet. I got this working but not the sfs

Luluc

#39 Post by Luluc »

Oh... I have managed to install it with the pet installer. But then the whole thing is installed and uses up too much space on the puppy save file. I was looking forward to using the SFS... :cry:

666philb

#40 Post by 666philb »

hi luluc

i use this to unzip .pets http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=32575
once unzipped, open a terminal in the window where the unzipped .pet is, and type

Code: Select all

dir2sfs nameoffolder
It's best to do this all in /mnt/home/ so that the .sfs isn't created inside the save file.
there is actually a .pet that does all this automatically, but i can't remember it's name.

666philb
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331