Legacy OS 2 Released (Download Now!)

News, happenings
Puppyt

#41 Post by Puppyt »

Thanks, eternal-sunshine for your very detailed recipe on frugal-installing Legacy2.0 with a kennel of other kernels already loaded. Your notes on Grub issues and sub-directories have saved me a heap of hair loss - I wondered how to get around a stalling install, and had already PM'd JB before I saw this thread.
JB - in your debt, as ever - thanks for all your hard work here with Legacy...I'm closer to testing it now.

P.S. I agree with Sage - old boxes rock. They were built to last, back in them thar days...
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

gnomic

legacy os 2

#42 Post by gnomic »

Tried to boot on a Compaq Armada E500 P3 laptop. Boot ground to a halt at 'loading isolinux. Disk error 4E, AX=4200, drive 9F.' Tried a couple of times. I was then able to boot a distro called zenix on this machine using the same brand of CDR, in this case badged by Verbatim, made by CMC.

Took the CD to a generic desktop, 1.7GHz Celeron. Initially got a similar message. 'Disk error 80, AX-4280 drive 9F.' Second run the process stalled at 'Loading Kernel modules . . . after Checking version. Take 3 booted to the desktop.

The good news was that wifi worked on this machine to an open access point. The wifi card has an Atheros AR5212 chip. No firmware required so the kernel in use must be supporting some Atheros cards at least. Will try to check on a setup requiring authentication.

By the way, the only chipset for which firmware is provided is Intel ipw2200. The wifi firmware usually located in /lib/firmware doesn't occupy a lot of space. Perhaps consider providing this in future or revised versions?

gnomic

more testing

#43 Post by gnomic »

In fresh exciting news to hand the Armada E500 has booted Legacy OS 2 twice now. This from current live session. PIII at 600 MHz, 320MB RAM. No builtin network aside from a modem which doesn't seem to be recognised. However plugged in a 10MB 3Com PCMCIA card and connected to the wifi router ethernet socket and up on the web.

Some troubles with video. Xorg produced a hang - 'Legacy OS 2 is probing your video hardware - please wait'. I didn't have forever so rebooted. It was possible to get a console at this point but didn't seem to be able to login. Next pass was xvesa, which resulted in a squished up discoloured screen on about 60% of the LCD. From there the xvesa wizard got a full screen and a snippet of music. Huzza, sound and light!

As you can see Opera ran, and hence this post. Now can I get lspci copied here? Jolly good, albeit with some difficulty. At least the trackpad is working as mouse and not being too scatty. The ATI card seems to be problematic in several distros and the machine does have a tendency to start with shrunken video. No swap on the E500 which has Windows installed. I think it still boots . . .

sh-3.00# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX Host bridge (rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX AGP bridge (rev 03)
00:04.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1225 (rev 01)
00:04.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1225 (rev 01)
00:07.0 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)
00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)
00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 03)
00:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology ES1978 Maestro 2E (rev 10)
00:09.0 Communication controller: Agere Systems WinModem 56k (rev 01)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility P/M AGP 2x (rev 64)

eternal-sunshine

#44 Post by eternal-sunshine »

Puppyt wrote
Thanks, eternal-sunshine for your very detailed recipe on frugal-installing Legacy2.0....
You are welcome. Glad it helped someone.
:D

john biles

#45 Post by john biles »

Hello gnomic,
My test PC's range from 350mhz 192mbs of ram Tower up. I can't remember when Legacy OS didn't boot. It sadden me to see a number of users like yourself having this amount of trouble.

Hello eternal-sunshine,
Thank you for sharing your experiences I sure it would have helped someone.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

Sage

#46 Post by Sage »

..sadden me to see a number of users like yourself having this amount of trouble.
Runs on all my single core stuff up to 939, too. I wonder whether folks having trouble are trying to run it in the presence of other Puppies, distros and the most undesirable of all OS? General advice is to disconnect all other HDs, fit a cleaned, old 3.2/4.3/10Gb unit, format ext2, swap partition~200Mb and do a FULL install. john's LegacyOS is well outside the original aims and intentions of the original Puppy, so is best used like a conventional distro - not as if he hasn't stuffed it full of goodies. Try to avoid tricky HW like Intel video, HP/Cq laptops, etc. Take my advice and dig out an old board, preferably AMD. My preference is for those old 1200 Durons - millions were produced - free with cornflakes - cut&paint to reduce the multiplier and stick the FSB up as far as possible. This approach produces results far superior with all Puppies to most recent junk; well worth the effort.

Germador

Legacy OS 2

#47 Post by Germador »

My first encounter was a bad burn. I resorted to having Legacy OS 1 in the IDE ROM and Legacy OS 2 in the SATA ROM. Legacy OS 1 tried to upgrade. My second encounter I redownloaded Legacy OS 2 and it looked like 2 instead of 1. I watched Sneeky's video to refresh myself. Instead of installing to a hard drive I did it to flash drive. After several attempts at a ext 2 I tried an ext 3 and it loaded. Still working on the etho 0 and etho 1. Flash upgraded through another IDE hard drive. Having trouble with grub. I had an easier time with Legacy OS 1.

john biles

#48 Post by john biles »

Hello Sage,
You have a way with words that always bring a smile to my face. I'm getting the feeling also that a PC with nothing fancy (Hardware) and with 1 or 2 Hard Drives with less then 8 Partitions in total is the best candidate for a successful install. My releases have always been created with a full install in mind. Yes you can run it live but the experience wouldn't be as enjoyable.

Hello Germador,
With Legacy OS 2 I focused on updated a number of apps and sytem files like ffmpeg etc. While the Installer was updated with easier to follow instructions, it still works like it did in the first Legacy. There should be no difference in installing both?
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

Sage

#49 Post by Sage »

You have a way with words...
Better than having away with ditto!

kjurkic

Legacy OS 2 in Virtualbox

#50 Post by kjurkic »

Hi all

Played with this puppy for a while trying many different settings to get to boot inside virtualbox4.x. No joy so far - it presents a black screen and no disk activity whatsoever when trying to set xorg. :(

Xvesa produces an illegible 8-color desktop, but no interaction.

So far I have changed disk types (ide/sata) bus types, processor VT acceleration on/off, PAE on/off, etc.

regards
Ken

Sage

#51 Post by Sage »

boot inside virtualbox
Why?!

kjurkic

Why?

#52 Post by kjurkic »

Sage wrote:
boot inside virtualbox
Why?!
Why did Hillary climb Everest?

I was just exploring its usability. I have a couple of older PC's, but not on hand at my location for testing.

-Ken

nitehawk

#53 Post by nitehawk »

Hey,....John!!!!
take a lookey at distrowatch!!! LegacyOS must be catching the attention of quite a few folks,....'cause it's it's up to the #8 spot! I'm on this dratted slow dialup,....so can't download (gotta wait 'til I can get a CD somewhere). ......meanwhile, I'll still be using good ol' LegacyOS #1.

cthisbear

#54 Post by cthisbear »

Now number 7.

nitehawk...
if you want something I can send it from OZ

for free...as a one timer.

Chris.

nitehawk

#55 Post by nitehawk »

cthisbear wrote:Now number 7.

nitehawk...
if you want something I can send it from OZ

for free...as a one timer.

Chris.
..thanks for the offer, cthisbear,............
but that's a long ways, an' a lot of trouble for ya. I'm sure LegacyOS will be on some of the major linux cd sites very soon. I'm using Wary Puppy also (so I have that to fall back on).....(as well as debian and slackware 13.37).....so I'm kept pretty busy! :lol:

cthisbear

#56 Post by cthisbear »

Number 4.

Chris.

Sage

#57 Post by Sage »

Number 4.
Clearly, john has exceeded even his own expectations. Proof, if needed, that what punters really desire is a polished product, extensively debugged, attention to the minutia - that works.
Users of certain SiS chipsets and some laptops will still have to edit the GRUB menu to add an acpi parameter - usually acpi=force - in order to overcome the kernel/4.12 shortcoming of shutdown failure: nothing to do with john, of course (cf. previous extensive discussion on the subject).

gnomic

wifi

#58 Post by gnomic »

Trying wifi again on CPQ laptop E500, this time with Atheros PC Card, aka PCMCIA. Initially no interface seen post boot tho' the status led on the card was flashing. Loaded ath_pci with network setup. However attempts to authenticate with secured access point still fizz out. I expect this is a problem with authentication via wpa/tkip. Is the more recent simple network setup compatible with Legacy 2? As seen in recent Puppy versions alongside the traditional jumping through all the hoops approach? Will have to revise what is involved with the command line approach and wpa_supplicant. Puppy Network Setup wasn't great with wpa until v4 or later. Then there is Frisbee as seen in Fluppy and Snowpuppy. See you have wpa_cli but no wpa_gui, however both depend on the wpa_supplicant.conf file being set up with the required info.

No cli web browser provided? Speaking of web browsers I suppose you may have seen that our new Google overlords are going to start insisting on a very recent browser version for their various services. Unclear whether any version of Opera is included. Maybe Legacy users aren't candidates for the cloud. Could be a hassle with using gmail.

Colonel Panic

#59 Post by Colonel Panic »

Tried installing it, but I can't get the bootloader (GRUB) to work. It works OK out of a savefile on another Linux distro's partition on the hard drive though.

Despite the bootup problems on my computer, it's an impressive piece of work. I may well be sticking with it for the remainder of the (probably short) life of this machine.

Thanks for a good piece of work and best wishes,

CP .
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

tinker

what about mini?

#60 Post by tinker »

I have an eee pc 900 with the original simplified linux OS on the ssd.I mostly use jemimah's puppeee on an sd card in the slot, and I never actually boot the original os on the ssd. I wonder about trying a full install of legacy OS. I noted on the wikka page about your mini version. Should I be trying that on my eeepc (even though it's older) or should I try installing your new version 2?