Monitor is 1440x900 but Puppy will only go to 1024x768

For drivers and kernel modules.
bones01

Monitor is 1440x900 but Puppy will only go to 1024x768

#1 Post by bones01 »

Firstly, my apologies if there is an answer to this somewhere on the forum. I've spent a few hours looking around and trying different things, but nothing has made a difference. I normally use Puppy on my laptop, but thought I'd give it a try on the desktop and see how we go. It's not a new beast by any means, but we like it.

My big problem is the resolution. Our monitor is 1440x900 but I can't get Pupppy to go past 1024x768. I've used quickpet to check the drivers, and downloaded what is suggested, or at least I believe I've used what is suggested, but the resolution won't change.

These screen shots may help:

Any guidance on what I should do would be a great help.

I am using Studio Puppy for this, from a DVD with a savefile. I can't work out what the kernel is.

Cheers
Bones
Bones

Bones
Attachments
nvidia 3.png
(19.62 KiB) Downloaded 1390 times
nvidia 2.png
(37.8 KiB) Downloaded 1383 times
nvidia 1.png
(93.13 KiB) Downloaded 856 times
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

CatDude

#2 Post by CatDude »

Hello Bones
bones01 wrote:...My big problem is the resolution. Our monitor is 1440x900 but I can't get Pupppy to go past 1024x768. I've used quickpet to check the drivers, and downloaded what is suggested, or at least I believe I've used what is suggested, but the resolution won't change.

These screen shots may help:
...Any guidance on what I should do would be a great help.
Looking at that last screenshot nvidia 1.png
it appears that you are not using the NVIDIA driver.

After installing the Lucid511-nvidia_260.19.12-k2.6.33.2.pet
you should have got a message (something along these lines)

Code: Select all

When you click "Yes" the X Window System will exit to the "xorgwizard". 
This is a text interface where you will need to select some options with the arrow keys. 
You select "Probe" from the available choices. You then select your desired resolution and optionally choose "test" if you are unsure of which resolution to choose. 
Once you are finished the X Window System will restart and you will be back in a familiar Graphical User Interface.
Would you like to continue?
Did you do as it suggested :?:

If you did, then i would open a console/terminal
and enter the following command:

lsmod
and see if the nvidia module is loaded.

If it is, then that's OK
If it isn't, then enter the following command (in the same console/terminal)

modprobe nvidia
then re-run the lsmod command (hit the Up Arrow an the keyboard twice and hit Enter :wink: :wink: )
Is the nvidia module loaded now :?:

Assuming that the nvidia module is loaded,
open up: /etc/X11/xorg.conf as text
and look in the "Device" section and check what driver is being used.
It should be using "nvidia" and not "nv" or anything else
So if it has anything other than "nvidia", change it and save.

Now restart X server and see if it works

If it doesn't, then try this:
  • Exit to a prompt (if you are not already there)
    and run the xorgwizard
    When given a choice of options, Select Choose.
    Type nvidia in the box to use the nvidia driver.
    Choose your required screen resolution.
    Finally type: xwin to get back to the desktop.
bones01 wrote:I am using Studio Puppy for this, from a DVD with a savefile. I can't work out what the kernel is.
Open a console/terminal and enter the following command:

uname -a
Hope this helps
CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

bones01

#3 Post by bones01 »

Thanks for your suggestions Catdude. I uninstalled what I had to start fresh, and followed the instructions, but regardless of what resolutio I choose, it always ends up as 1024x768.

Used the console and "lsmod" but couldn't see nvidia anywhere, so followed your next instructions but still couldn't see it there. Looks like it's not installing for some reason.

Anyway, I appreciate your efforts.

BTW, the kernel is 2.6.33.5.

Thanks again, but I may just put up with a stretched out screen.

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

James C

#4 Post by James C »

bones01 wrote:Thanks for your suggestions Catdude. I uninstalled what I had to start fresh, and followed the instructions, but regardless of what resolutio I choose, it always ends up as 1024x768.

Used the console and "lsmod" but couldn't see nvidia anywhere, so followed your next instructions but still couldn't see it there. Looks like it's not installing for some reason.

Anyway, I appreciate your efforts.

BTW, the kernel is 2.6.33.5.

Thanks again, but I may just put up with a stretched out screen.

Bones

Not familiar with Puppy Studio (or Studio Puppy) but if your kernel is indeed 2.6.33.5 the Lucid driver won't work since the Lucid kernel is 2.6.33.2. Drivers are kernel specific.
The driver will need to be compiled with the 2.6.33.5 kernel.

bones01

#5 Post by bones01 »

Again, thanks for your comments. At least I know part of the problem now, but still can't find an answer.

Thought I'd try some old puppy to see if any of them give the right resolution. Quirky 1 did it beautifully, but then I couldn't get the sound working!!

4.3.1 said the resolution was right, but it didn't use the whole screen. There was a big black strip down the left hand side.

I d/l Wary 5.1.2 with some hope, but I either have a black strip on the side, or a stretched out screen. This time I'm sure I have the right driver using the "Upgrade X Drivers".

James, is it hard to compile the driver for the correct kernel? Do you know where I might find some instructions for this?

Cheers.

Bones
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

01micko

#6 Post by 01micko »

Hi bones

So you are running puppy studio. Now I tried to help l0w3tch to compile nvidia drivers for it but to no avail because of the nature of the RT kernel. There was just no way they would compile unfortunately.

You could try the nouveau driver. If you installed frugally I would advise to backup your pupsave before attempting to install nouveau, it is notoriously difficult to get rid of once installed and loaded. Here are the necessary pets.
http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/puppyli ... -Lucid.pet
http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/puppyli ... -Lucid.pet
Once installed drop to a command prompt and run "depmod", then "modprobe nouveau". If no errors (well you may get that silly "deprecated modprobe.conf" error, but that's ok), I should say fatal errors, then run xorgwizard and nouveau should get loaded automatically.

I hope it works!

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

bones01

#7 Post by bones01 »

Thanks for the suggestion micko. I'll give it a try when I get some time. It's not a priority for me, so it might be a time before I get to it.

Bones