perl for puppy!

Using applications, configuring, problems
mutt

perl for puppy!

#1 Post by mutt »

has anyone tried to installed perl for linux .. i insttaled it and it says that cmm file is missing .. where do i get it

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Perl

#2 Post by Lobster »

if using 1.0.3 use pupget

Start / Setup (menu)
when on line - Perl 5.8 can then be downloaded
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

papaschtroumpf

#3 Post by papaschtroumpf »

I miss perl. I'm a perl freak and it's been hard to give it up on puppy but I have not yet found a good reason to use the megabytes for it.
None of the puppy apps require and it, and for scripting we already have ash, gawk and sed, which can be coaxed into acting as replacements for simple perl scripts.
Mandriva LE 2005 user and puppy newbie

rarsa

#4 Post by rarsa »

Actually I am at a cross roads with this.

I'll appreciate some advice:

I am working on packaging the tight vncserver for puppy. The vncserver script is a perl script that sets the parameters for the Xvnc binary.

I don't want to depend on perl to install my package, so I am in the process of rewriting the script as a shell script.

I am almost done, the only issue right now is identifying if a particular port is already taken (that's how the script know what's the next port to use):

I cannot find a way to do it in the shell script so that's where I am sitting right now:

a) Knowing that Puppy is mainly a 'personal' distribution I could do some 'soft checking', by checking either the logfile or the pid file generated when it starts up.

b) I could bitte the bullet and require Perl.

What do you think? to Perl or not to Perl, that's the question.

papaschtroumpf

#5 Post by papaschtroumpf »

NOOOOooooo! don't require perl just for that! (and this is coming from a perl advocate!)

have you tried "netstat -a" it should list the ports that are in a listen state (TCP is in the first list at the top) you can grep/gawk/sed the output to death to get the info you need.

what port are you talking about anyway? The port that defaults to 5900? (the one the client connects to?) if that's the case either make it fixed or let the user specify it if he doesn't like the default.

I've been wanting a vnc server on puppy!
Mandriva LE 2005 user and puppy newbie

duke

#6 Post by duke »

i downloaded perl packages for ibiblio . its only 900k . how can that be . the proper perl distribution is in mb's . does this work .

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#7 Post by GuestToo »

the perl package from ibiblio has some modules missing ... i installed a more complete version ... it takes about 2.5 megs, without docs

for example, the perl f-prot updater won't run with the Ibiblio perl, because of missing modules

i was thinking of making a perl dotpup which would install the complete perl ... i have the perl files in a folder in my-applications, with a few symlinks in /usr ... i was thinking that the symlink should be registered with PupGet, because most perl scripts call /usr/bin/perl, and if Puppy removes the symlink, perl suddenly stops working (annoying if you run a server)

#8 Post by Guest »

yes .. where did u get the distribution from . does the 900k dist work for compiling and running scripts.

#9 Post by Guest »

yes .. where did u get u 2mb distribution from . does the 900k dist work for compiling and running scripts.

rarsa

#10 Post by rarsa »

Thankyou papaschtroumpf,

That's exactly what I was looking for!

No more crossroads. My script will be ready for beta soon. It's going to be about 1.4 Mb after installation. Not exactly puppy size, but not bad for what it is.

BlackAdder

#11 Post by BlackAdder »

John Murga built the Perl package for Puppy. Required for ndiswrapper. Works fine in that environment. 900k.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#12 Post by Lobster »

John Murga created the Opera Perl Puplet based on Puppy 1.0.2 - which contained some exciting features - the boot options, the 2.6 kernel and Perl (later released as an unleashed option)

I have heard from John that he will again be more active on Puppy matters. I will leave him to describe the situation in his own time. However John might appreciate a little support and well wishing at present (click on memberlist to send a PM - private message). John kindly provided this forum when our previous one went peculiar under the strain of too many kennel members . . .

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

ozboomer

#13 Post by ozboomer »

GuestToo wrote:i was thinking of making a perl dotpup which would install the complete perl ... i have the perl files in a folder in my-applications, with a few symlinks in /usr ... i was thinking that the symlink should be registered with PupGet, because most perl scripts call /usr/bin/perl, and if Puppy removes the symlink, perl suddenly stops working (annoying if you run a server)
I haven't been playing with Puppy for a while... but getting perl available as a DotPup or something would be so handy.

John Murga's integration of perl works Ok but some of his applications don't really suit me, so I'd like to keep a 'standard' Puppy distribution and simply 'add' perl to it.

In my situation, I don't really care that the distribution goes to 2x the normal size -- it will still fit on a mini-CD and/or a USB key, with lots of space for my data...

So, I for one, vote for getting Perl as something we can add-in. Not having downloaded 'Unleashed', I still don't know if perl is available along that route... but my preference would be to have the 'standard' Puppy distribution and then be able to add Perl to it.

In a similar vein, as there are still problems with doing upgrades and how my own customizations are (not) maintained, I'm thinking about how I can make modifications to turn a 'standard' Puppy into an 'OzPuppy', with all my scripts, etc. maintained across updates... a major work in progress...

#14 Post by Guest »

I've been thinking of adding perl to my gcc squashfs system...It's needed for compiling a kernel, might as well throw python in as well.....We'll see

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Puppy Python

#15 Post by Lobster »

Hey Bladehunter
good work

I spent a long time avoiding Python but when I finally started learning it a little, I thought it was an excellent language. In fact i would recommend it for those wishing to start programming . . .

Even created this wiki page on the wonders of Python . . .
http://peace.wikicities.com/wiki/Python

Not being available for Puppy I kinda looked at other stuff . . .

Yes it is big with all the libraries, but please include Python if you can

Puppy Python 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

#16 Post by Guest »

my streaming mp3 server dotpup includes cgipython which may do for some simple python routines