Samsung Printer/Scanner Drivers - Updated 2013

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
rcrsn51

Samsung Printer/Scanner Drivers - Updated 2013

#1 Post by rcrsn51 »

Update: Read here first.

When installing a Samsung printer, there are a number of sources for the driver.

1. Puppy comes with Gutenprint drivers for a few Samsung models.

2. Some older models can be installed using a built-in Ghostscript driver. See the example here.

3. Samsung has released the next generation of their Linux driver. I have converted this into a PET that supports both the mono and colour models. Download the samsung_print-uld.1.0.29.pet here. Click the small green DOWNLOAD box.

Samsung colour laser printers have an optional CMS colour correction database from here.. This is a large package. But once your printer is installed, go to /usr/share/cups/model/uld-samsung/cms and delete all the files that do not apply to your model.

FeodorF has tested this driver with a CLP-365, which worked properly without CMS. However, Feodor reports significant improvement in colour quality when using CMS.

This driver requires more testing with colour models. PLEASE provide feedback - either success or failure.

4. Some Samsung colour laser printers can be installed using the foo2xxx driver package from here. But based on limited testing, it appears that the driver in #3 is superior.

5. Samsung provides a Unified Driver package on their website. Some versions do not work properly in Puppy and some old ones break CUPS!

-----------------------------------

The Samsung Linux driver also has scanner support. I have packaged the scanner components here. Click the small green DOWNLOAD box. It should work with all USB models in both Xsane and PeasyScan.

At powerup, make sure that you give the scanner enough time to initialize. Otherwise it may not work properly.

This scanner driver also works with Samsung networked units and has been tested successfully by smokey01 with a C1860 Series model. It requires the printer's IP address. From the command line, run

Code: Select all

xsane "smfp:net;aaa.bbb.cc.dd"
Note the use of the semicolon in the above line. To use the driver in PeasyScan, you must create a configuration file with the line

export URI="smfp:net;aaa.bbb.cc.dd"
---------------------------------
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Thu 28 Jun 2018, 13:10, edited 57 times in total.

jomahead

how to uninstall samsung drivers

#2 Post by jomahead »

Hi,

I recently installed the newest version of Puppy Linux and am trying to set up my networked printer (Samsung ML-2525 USB via HP JetDirect Print server). After no success using CUPS, I downloaded the Unified Samsung driver (per somebody else's recommendation on another forum). Needless to say, CUPS does not work anymore. Whenever I try to "Add a Printer" I just get the "500 Internal Server Error". The unified Samsung driver also DID NOT work. Is there anyway to either re-install CUPS or fix it somehow? THanks

rcrsn51

Re: how to uninstall samsung drivers

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

jomahead wrote:Whenever I try to "Add a Printer" I just get the "500 Internal Server Error". The unified Samsung driver also DID NOT work. Is there anyway to either re-install CUPS or fix it somehow?
Not without a great deal of mucking around. It will be easier to reinstall Puppy.

Once you have Puppy working again, we should be able to install your printer.

1. Connect it directly as a USB device and install the samsung_printer-3.00.65.pet above. Run CUPS and select Find New Printers. Your printer should be auto-detected. Print a test page. This will confirm that you have the correct driver.

2. Connect the printer to the JetDirect server. Puppy should be able to auto-detect it there. If not, install it using the socket:// protocol. You will need to determine the JetDirect's IP address.

Please reply back.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sun 15 May 2011, 17:08, edited 1 time in total.

jomahead

Worked Great!

#4 Post by jomahead »

Ok that worked great. Thanks for the help!

chicks

#5 Post by chicks »

I've been running the Samsung drivers with a USB-connected ML-2510 on Puppy for a very long time, quite successfully.

A couple of days ago I found a Linksys WPSM54G wireless print server for $10 at the Goodwill, thought it would be nice to share the Samsung with the three Windows PCs in the house as well as the two Puppy boxes, so hooked it up.

Well, the provided Linksys Windows software is a joke, it can't find the print server! So, after installing the Samsung drivers on the Windows box, just pointed it to the IP of the print server, port 9100 - bingo! Works like a charm.

Back on Puppy, tried setting it for IPP - big mistake. It would print, then kept saying that the printer is busy, retrying. Kept printing the same job over and over again, until I canceled. Finally set it for socket printing to port 9100, works perfectly! Now just one printer shared by all Linux and Windows PC's. Yes!

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

chicks wrote:A couple of days ago I found a Linksys WPSM54G wireless print server for $10 at the Goodwill
Well, the provided Linksys Windows software is a joke, it can't find the print server!
I wonder if there is a connection. :wink:

HiDeHo

#7 Post by HiDeHo »

are these pets provided here for lupu or 431. as the pet did not install any extra drivers to cups. i have a samsung ml-2010 which has been skipped altogether.

rcrsn51

#8 Post by rcrsn51 »

HiDeHo wrote:are these pets provided here for lupu or 431. as the pet did not install any extra drivers to cups.
Which one are you using? In old versions of CUPS, you need to do a restart after installing a driver package.

/etc/init.d/cups restart
i have a samsung ml-2010 which has been skipped altogether.
I just checked the package and your ML-2010 is included.

If you still can't get it working, I have attached a PPD file that uses the built-in Ghostscript driver. It might work for you.

rcrsn51

#9 Post by rcrsn51 »

@HiDeHo: What happened with your ML-2010? If you ask for help, you should have the courtesy to provide some feedback.

It's particularly frustrating when you post to several threads and don't reply to any of them.

HiDeHo

#10 Post by HiDeHo »

rcrsn51 wrote:@HiDeHo: What happened with your ML-2010? If you ask for help, you should have the courtesy to provide some feedback.

It's particularly frustrating when you post to several threads and don't reply to any of them.
What do you mean. there is nothing wrong with my printer it works ok just needs drivers for puppy linux lupu.

i think that the original 431 .pet works now. in lupu.

also it takes time to reply to forum posts its not instant.

rcrsn51

#11 Post by rcrsn51 »

HiDeHo wrote: as the pet did not install any extra drivers to cups. i have a samsung ml-2010 which has been skipped altogether.
Look in the Puppy Package Manager. Is the samsung_printer-3.00.65.pet actually installed?

Look in the folder /usr/share/cups/model. Do you see a folder named "samsung"? Does it contain a bunch of files?

In CUPS, choose Find New Printers. Is your printer detected?

At what exact spot do you run into trouble?

Have you tried the PPD file I posted above?

HiDeHo

#12 Post by HiDeHo »

rcrsn51 wrote:
HiDeHo wrote: as the pet did not install any extra drivers to cups. i have a samsung ml-2010 which has been skipped altogether.
Look in the Puppy Package Manager. Is the samsung_printer-3.00.65.pet actually installed?

Look in the folder /usr/share/cups/model. Do you see a folder named "samsung"? Does it contain a bunch of files?

In CUPS, choose Find New Printers. Is your printer detected?

At what exact spot do you run into trouble?

Have you tried the PPD file I posted above?
the default samsung driver installed actually has not include my samsung printer ok. it skips my modle. i installed the splix driver for the old 431 baised and it actually worked.

bc272

I have a Samsung printer working, clp-600

#13 Post by bc272 »

I was following the situation here in getting a Samsung printer to work, maybe there is something here that can shed light and possibly insight.

I just now looked at my Samsung folder where rcrsn51 said to look on this page, I have a bunch of Samsung drivers there. Recently I loaded a puppy 5.2.5. system and installed the printer but think it was already available in the newer Puppy. For ml2010, I see in that folder "ml2010spl2.ppd.gz", that may indicate from where it came I don't know, but from same folder is driver for mine which is CLP-600splc.ppd.gz If not already in Puppy 5.2.5, than it was loaded from my standby file for Samsung printers which I have used with success before, it is : Samsung_unified-253.pet. Still pretty much a novice, but if helps am using Cups 1.4.3 and cups shows it uses SPL-C type driver, and that one I've seen before in Cups setup as the one that worked. I have color printer, still works good.

I first got the Samsung working from a pet file from rcrsn51 months ago and was glad to get it to work in LInux, makes system with value, rc was talking to another blogger about ml printers and he said this pet file was inclusive of a samsung printer driver collection in addition to his printer, my printer is a Samsung CLP-600. It's actually a 600N (network) and still could use it for a network printer using same driver. Foo drivers didn't work. Thanks

Subito Piano

#14 Post by Subito Piano »

rcrsn51: THANK YOU! Boy that was quick. :)

ML-2510 on Puppy 5.2.5 with your Samsung_printter-3.00.65.pet.

Blessings.

rcrsn51

#15 Post by rcrsn51 »

Glad to help. I have no idea why the previous poster had so much trouble locating his printer in the samsung_printer-3.00.65.pet.

puppypilgrim

Got Samsung ML-1710 working!

#16 Post by puppypilgrim »

Thanks to rcrsn51!

Puppy version: 5.2.5 Lupu puppy running ona an Acer Aspire 7735Z-4613.

I downloaded samsung_printer-3.00.65.pet in this forum thread and CUPS managed to detect the correct printer model and produce a test page.

Prior to this, CUPS was only able to identify the printer model but there was no corresponding printer file available which matched the model. So CUPS could "see" the printer but was unable to print a test page. I would PRINT and go check on COMPLETED PRINT JOBS in CUPS which would show the completed jobs but nothing came out from the printer.

With the PET mentioned above, the printer works and I am able to print.

Very happy now!!!

Much gratitude to all.

rcrsn51

Re: Got Samsung ML-1710 working!

#17 Post by rcrsn51 »

puppypilgrim wrote:Prior to this, CUPS was only able to identify the printer model but there was no corresponding printer file available which matched the model. So CUPS could "see" the printer but was unable to print a test page. I would PRINT and go check on COMPLETED PRINT JOBS in CUPS which would show the completed jobs but nothing came out from the printer.
Just out of curiosity, since CUPS didn't show you the correct model, how did you install the printer and run a test page? Did you pick something else?

puppypilgrim

#18 Post by puppypilgrim »

Without the Samsung PET you provided, CUPS could see and identify the printer as an ML-1710. The specific driver file however was not available under the default Gutenberg drivers. So I picked the nearest possible model listed.

However, no further communication was possible. No test page would print, neither would anything print from an application. I knew at this point that CUPS was working since the print spool was working except that the printer was not receiving the data from the print spool.

After installing the SAMUNG PET you provided earlier in the thread, I was able to select the exact printer driver file (ML 1710) from the list of available drivers. After this CUPS worked flawlessly.

mox

Samsung CLP-325

#19 Post by mox »

Hi,
I installed Samsung pet and the printer CLP-325, already working in a shared windows xp system, but the test page is incorrect.
The image is doubled, and with some white lines.
My system is puppy 5.1 and CUPS 1.4.3.

Thanks for any help.

rcrsn51

#20 Post by rcrsn51 »

First of all, I don't believe that the samsung_printer-3.00.65.pet lists a CLP-325. Did you install it as a 320-series?

Because this is a colour printer, it may need the CMS data files to work correctly. I have posted them here.

Try this first. If your printer still doesn't work, we can look at using the foo2xxx driver package instead. It may need upgrading to support a CLP-325.