Sitecom Mimo XR PCMCIA wifi card not recognized

Booting, installing, newbie
wiretux

Sitecom Mimo XR PCMCIA wifi card not recognized

#1 Post by wiretux »

Hope someone can help me with this wireless pcmcia problem on my Dell Latitude P2 300 laptop. I looked through some other posts but couldn't find a solution there.

The card is a Sitecom Mimo XR which worked fine on the same laptop when I had Win 2k installed. After installing Puppy 2.0.0 it does not seem to be mentioned when I do a lspci -v ( as far as I can see anyway)
Typing cardctl eject and then cardctl insert makes no difference.
ifconfig gives the same data as when the card is unplugged and iwconfig returns " lo no wireless extensions"
dmesg returns info about the card being removed and reinserted so the card is being seen but i think the problem is that no wlan0 id is being created.
Running wag says;
not using PCMCIA
no module loaded
dhcpcd not running
wifi-beta not installed
could not find interface in /proc/net/wireless

I ran the installer on XP and copied the unzipped files over to the laptop.
There is a Rt2500.inf file which I tried to set up with ndiswrapper but since no wlan0 device is found it bombs out.
Sorry bout the long post but I thought I'd try and give as much info as possible. New to Linux and all that.

Kal

Modules

#2 Post by Kal »

Have you tried it off the live cd install. Just to see if it is not the old hdd install not loading the modules again. /lib/modules/2.6.16.7/ has (I believe) all the modules.
Just an Idea, Kal

wiretux

#3 Post by wiretux »

I tried running it off the Live CD but the wireless interface is not being found.

Interestingly I borrowed a Netgear PCMCIA ethernet card ( not wireless ! ) and when I plugged it in and ran the Ethernet/Network wizard it sees eth0 as an active interface. So I guess this means all hardware is setup ok.
On removing and re-inserting the wireless card the wireless newtork wizard sees no interface.

Can anyone solve this one ?

tempestuous

#4 Post by tempestuous »

A network interface is only created after the appropriate driver is loaded for your device. No driver, no interface.
Your Netgear adaptor probably contains a chipset supported by a standard kernel driver. Your Sitecom, not.
"MIMO" is a feature of the Ralink RT61 chipset, so the Sitecom will need the "rt61pci" driver from the rt2x00.pup package. See here http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=8488

... and some extra information to add to the instructions you find with the rt2x00 drivers -
before running "modprobe 80211", first run "modprobe firmware_class".

wiretux

#5 Post by wiretux »

Ah I see.
The reason I thought it used a rt2500 driver file was because when I ran the XP setup it unzipped a rt2500.inf file along with a load of other stuff.
The second I used the rt6pci driver the card came alive immediately.
I havent used it yet as not near a hotspot but all the config afterwards worked fine so I'm confident.
I owe you a beer tempestuous !

wiretux

#6 Post by wiretux »

not out of the woods yet !!
I have a script in /root/my-applications/bin which I believe runs at every boot. It is here I put my WiFi setup.

The problem is when the following line is ran.
iwconfig wlan0 essid eircom mode managed

This results in Set failed on device wlan0; Device or resource busy

The lights on the WiFi card turn off then.
I have tried ejecting and re-inserting and typing all commands manually but same result.
If I try using a WEP key the same occurs.
Could I have a IRQ conflict ?
I disabled Com1, Com2 and LPT1 in the BIOS and also commented out these ports exclude statements in the /etc/pcmcia/config.opts thinkink it might clear some IRQs but no joy

wiretux

#7 Post by wiretux »

So I guess the question is how do you change IRQ assignments in puppy linux ?