Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 31 Jul 2014, 10:02
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
How to tell which ports are open or in use?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 3 [37 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun 2011, 12:07    Post subject: Re: AngryIP  

gcmartin wrote:
All Microsoft OSs have JAVA built-in

Really?
Code:
I have used AngryIP since its inception. It has never failed me in my 11 years of using in both Windows and Linux. AND it finds port 80 too. If you're having a problem where it cannot find port 80 if your browser is open, I'd be interested to learn "how that is?" I

I have tested nmap, Superscan and Angry IP Scanner on Puppy CLIENT machines and I can never get it to show Port 80 open when a browser is running. However, if I scan a machine that is running a web SERVER, it will detect Port 80 open.
DPUP5520

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun 2011, 15:07    Post subject:  

Quote:
I have tested nmap, Superscan and Angry IP Scanner on Puppy CLIENT machines and I can never get it to show Port 80 open when a browser is running. However, if I scan a machine that is running a web SERVER, it will detect Port 80 open.

Same here, I just double checked with AngryIP and nmap and I can't get port 80 to show on either of em.

gcmartin

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun 2011, 15:46    Post subject:  

Correct! Thanks @DPUP5520 and @Rcrsn51 for correcting that. I forgot about a intranet page that I have on this internal network I'm on.
nooby

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun 2011, 16:18    Post subject:  

I do have a poor memory but as I remember my Windows had one version of Java and then when I wanted to use it for a program needing it then them told me to change to another companies Java.

So it was not just another version of the same company but a totally other Java that was supposed to be better than the one included in the OS?

DPUP5520

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun 2011, 16:45    Post subject:  

nooby are you sure you aren't thinking of openjdk?
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun 2011, 19:03    Post subject:  

Win9x came with Microsoft's own JVM, but they were sued by Sun for not fully implementing the Java standard. MS lost and quit including Java by 2003.
gcmartin

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun 2011, 21:33    Post subject: AngryIP to scan  

Its really obvious for most on how to scan your LAN using AngryIP.. Straight away easy!

But, Its not obvious to some, how to use AngryIP for port scanning. Here's something that some may find useful for Port scanning

But be careful because a large IP range and large port ranges will elongate the time it takes the utility to report its finding on-screen.

Hope this helps
AngryIP on Puppy2.png
 Description   Using AngryIP for port scanning
 Filesize   174.04 KB
 Viewed   924 Time(s)

AngryIP on Puppy2.png

nooby

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jun 2011, 04:12    Post subject:  

DPUP5520 no I was not thinking about that one. I trust that
rcrsn51 gave a good answer. Sun was involved.

gcmartin

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:57    Post subject:  

Trying to stay on-topic for this thread. JAVA is a separate topic and is only mentioned to indicate requirements "for AngryIP V3" products.

If you want to understand how MS integrates JAVA (whether its MS-SUN integrated in the OS), either review the OS or look at the Wiki TOGETHER WITH here.

But, maybe someone will start a separate thread on "JAVA on Microsoft" discussion or maybe just "The Merits of JAVA in Puppy" discussion thread..

AngryIP, still today, beats the pants off every other LAN IP scanner I have run across (with the exception of hardware LAN scanners). In and of itself, it is small and very fast.

And, AngryIP continues to be maintained for the OS community. It could be very useful for those of us who have need to scan the LAN for various support reasons.

For All Puppy uses
To see an example on HOWTO Scan see this step
For Puppy users, to get the PET, go here

Hope this helps

greengeek

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan 2013, 15:54    Post subject:  

Anyone know of a solution that does not require java? (I want to be able to see if any data packets are being sent to a printer of known IP)
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan 2013, 16:26    Post subject:  

greengeek wrote:
Anyone know of a solution that does not require java? (I want to be able to see if any data packets are being sent to a printer of known IP)

Which Puppy are you using? The recent ones have PeasyPort. Or you can get it here.

For networked printers, you should scan for ports 9100 or 515.
gcmartin

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan 2013, 18:35    Post subject: Scan for ports  

removed
greengeek

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan 2013, 19:04    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
greengeek wrote:

Which Puppy are you using? The recent ones have PeasyPort. Or you can get it here.

For networked printers, you should scan for ports 9100 or 515.

Thanks. I mostly use Thin Slacko on my work laptop, but for the purposes of this investigation I will use whichever puppy allows me to get the info I need.

Seems it's not quite as sraightforward as I first hoped - apparently I need to make a "passive network tap" (or find a suitably designed/configured hub) so that I can hook my puppy laptop onto the same cable that is going to the printer, before I can guarantee seeing the packets heading for the printer.

Thanks for the peasyport link - at first glance I wonder if that will be able to capture any data packets for analysis? Or is it merely confirming the presence of open ports?
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan 2013, 19:13    Post subject:  

greengeek wrote:
apparently I need to make a "passive network tap" (or find a suitably designed/configured hub) so that I can hook my puppy laptop onto the same cable that is going to the printer, before I can guarantee seeing the packets heading for the printer.

What is your objective? To trouble-shoot a non-functioning printer?

There should be easier ways to do it than setting up a packet-sniffer.
greengeek

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan 2013, 19:36    Post subject:  

The reason I'm looking at this sort of technology is that one of my customers has purchased our brand of printer and has asked me to replace it as they say "it has a broken network port".

However, they can ping it, and can access the printers internal web page, so basic network functionality is ok. I am able to communicate directly to the printer via crossover cable from my WinXP laptop, and can ping, access the internal webpage, and print through the network port without problems. The customer insists that there is nothing in their network or print subsystem which could cause print packets to be lost, but I suspect that their print spooler has marked the printer as offline somehow and is not issuing the print data. (customer is a large corporate customer with a distributed network citywide and will not confirm to me what server system they are using but I suspect some form of Citrix /server 2003 combo).

I initially asked them to set up a new IP address and print queue as I suspected the original queue has got itself tied in a knot somehow (I've often seen such things before) but they seem unwilling to do this.

I have also asked if there is any way they could look at the router logs to see if packets were being ignored/dumped (or at least counted maybe - so we could get a feeling for how much data was attempting to get through) but they scoffed at the idea and told me to bring a new printer. (That is an option of course but wouldn't prove much because it would have a different MAC address, and they would set it up with a different IP and print queue anyway, so I would expect that to work, but it's not that helpful in terms of identifying why this is happening)

I was hopeful that I could "hook into" the cable going to the printer and identify what type of packets are being sent to the printers IP address, and see if the printer was simply ignoring them. I realise I need to use a lot of caution on the customers netwrok (and would not use this method without their permission...) but I would like to prove that I can make the technology work at home before attempting to use it at work.

I can start a thread for this if you think that would be better...
Page 2 of 3 [37 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Jump to: