slackware puplet, back to the drawing board

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#41 Post by Lobster »

i also need to decide on a version #, maybe 450, 460? i should use 486, lol get it .... spup_486 for i486 ...... lol , im going to bed, today at work,
:)
I very much hope Spup based on a woof build
will join the Woofy Kennel
(that is the 5.x series
which will be a diverse series of breeds)

As for numbering . . .
Numbering is not a form of imprisonment
but of recognition.
What is clear to you and conveyed
will be fine.
i kicked a piece of wire mesh (for concrete) and it pierced my boot and went in to my foot, yay .... gory boots of blood, it kinda ruined my day,
Must continue my martial arts training now that
wire mesh is fighting back . . .
How are the boots? :shock:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Iguleder

#42 Post by Iguleder »

As you can see, I'm not much into spup anymore, since I'm extremely busy these days.

I'm also working on my very own distro, that's another great time consumer.

If you really need my help with spup, I'll do whatever I can, but I think I'm done with the Woof-Slack-13 thing, it's too much for my limited skills. Yeah, I know, building a distro and fixing scripts ... I know.

I really think you should arrange some develoment team and create some ticket system to make development easier and more open.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

plaguedogs

#43 Post by plaguedogs »

Iguleder, your efforts are appreciated. the edited scripts for woof are posted for anyone who wishes to pick them up and try again. one of the great things about open source, you do a little work, i do a little work, we get board, and someone else comes along with new ideas and picks up where you left off. your input was enough to keep me intrested for the last month.
i started a new thread for my latest build, we will see what happens. i have my own selfish motives for building this puppy. i want spup. so i built an spup. now im aiming for a different kernel, maybe 2.6.31.5. the newest woof script has thet kernel in the specs list, but fails to find it. there are a few other pieces missing for the build, so i must get that sorted out as well.
spup hasnt generated that much interest, so im sort of doing this for myself. my latest build is doing everything i need it to. i guess the missing icons in the menu could get fixed, and i need to edit the universal installer, but im more concerned with kernels right now. after that ill build one with opera, wine, virtualbox, and some game console emulators. i will use it everyday, and if someone else likes it thy can use it too.
i looked at your katan site and will occasionally go back to see how your doing. good luck, see you around the forums.

pd

Buster

#44 Post by Buster »

I tried all the package tools reversions the only one that worked correctly on Lucid Pup 525 was zpm-1.3_pkgtools-13.0_zenwalk.pet.

Pkgtool works well if you have the packages in a directory on you computer that is accessible by puppy. But I remember from Vector Linux 5.8 that it had a better pkgtool pkgtools-tukaani-1.2 so I downloaded it after installing the Zpm Pkgtool and used Pkgtool then you have to exit and reload pkgtool and you have tukaani the difference is it will connect with repository's as well as directories that the user specifies it's all manual entry and installation that is what I hated about vector everything used manual setup.

But for puppy and packages that aren't available as Pets, it is worth the effort of a manual method.

The package I installed that worked is available at the vector repository http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux- ... ages/base/ besides some Slackware packages require it along with pkgtool.

Another note is your packages need to have meta files with the package, or the Pkgtool will not know it's a package. If there isn't one already you can make one for any package or just make a text file. That may only apply to Vector Linux packages or those used with tukaani. I'm not sure. There should be a description file of some sort though for any package for manual install with pkgtool. Zenwalk packages use *.txt files.

I would rather do things the manual way than fool with installing Netpkg and that but I'm going to try install vlapt vectors package tool. Best Regards..