Legacy OS 2 Released (Download Now!)

News, happenings
john biles

#61 Post by john biles »

Hello tinker,
100% use TEENpup 2010 Mini on you EeePC, Legacy OS 2 won't boot from a Hard Drive install.
While Legacy OS 2 has just been released, it is aimed at a different user. Trust me TEENpup 2010 Mini is for you.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

tinker

will try teenpup mini

#62 Post by tinker »

thanks, john

I'll download mini and try that on my eeepc.

I'm currently downloading legacy os 2, which will still be valuable to try on my other machines.

oligin10

Opera 11.11

#63 Post by oligin10 »

Hi Tinker, you may want to try to update your Opera browser. I am running TeenPup 2010 and it will speed up your browsing quite a bit. Please download Opera 11.11 pet and just install it. It will keep all the settings from Opera 10 and everything should work fine. Try to do it from a live session first, just to make sure it doesn't cause you any problems. You can find it here: "http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=39444"
Thanks, Rob

arby

Swap Partition Inactive?

#64 Post by arby »

Hi!

I have a question regarding the linux swap partition.
I've installed per the instructions on a P3 with 128M RAM.
I made a 500M swap partition as recommended.

The system boots and runs successfully, but the
swap partition usage always shows 0% no matter
what programs I run.

I've checked it with Gparted, it's mounted and active.
I've run the "swapon -a" command and seen no change.

The swap partition always seems inactive. What can I do?
Just wondering if I can increase performance any.

gnomic

boot on dell d610 laptop

#65 Post by gnomic »

From LOS2 on a Dell Latitude d610. Booted OK and X Window started without problems.

However still having trouble with wifi to WPA access point. Can't see why so far. Have been nosing around in config files. There is an apparently sane wpa_supplicant.conf in /etc that seems to know about the right access point and has generated a psk, but for some unknown reason it seems either association with the ap is failing or perhaps authentication.

Tried earlier on the CPQ E500 with atheros card still without success. Another distro using wicd works on this gear.

This post via wired interface eth0 which works no problems.

sh-3.00# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/PM/GMS/910GML Express Processor to DRAM Controller (rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/PM Express PCI Express Root Port (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev d3)
00:1e.2 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1e.3 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FBM (ICH6M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 03)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FBM (ICH6M) SATA Controller (rev 03)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M22 [Radeon Mobility M300]
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 01)
03:01.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI6515 Cardbus Controller
03:01.5 Communication controller: Texas Instruments PCI6515 SmartCard Controller
03:03.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2915ABG MiniPCI Adapter (rev 05)

john biles

#66 Post by john biles »

Hello arby,
Legacy OS 2 will use swap when needed. Most of the time when testing Legacy, it appears that swap is not functioning when it really is.

Can anyone help gnomic with their WiFi problem?

russoodle

#67 Post by russoodle »

@ gnomic: what drivers have you tried for wireless?

I run LOS2 on a D620 but the wireless cards are different on each of our machines. I was thinking that, if you hadn't tried the ipw3945, it could be worth a try..
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

gnomic

driver, what driver?

#68 Post by gnomic »

Hum, I'm glad you've asked me what driver I'm using because I haven't got a clue. Iirc the only firmware included in LOS2 is ipw2200, which should cover my case with at least one machine, a ThinkPad. Suppose one reason I haven't thought about the driver is that most things seem to be happening that ought to be happening except an actual connection. The wifi card seems to be recognised and shows signs of life (flashenblinkenlights), so I suppose I thought the preconditions were satisfied. The usual problem I see these days with wifi is absent firmware. The ath5k pcmcia card I've tried should as I understand it not require firmware.

One thing I can't claim to understand is how the network setup wizard works. Presumably this is a script or scripts somewhere but I don't know what the name(s) might be or the location. Don't know what it is doing under the hood or what the sequence of events is. I never had much luck with the wizard in older Puppy versions with secured APs, hence wondering whether the newer Simple Network Setup would plug into LOS2.

I think the current situation here is that connection to an unsecured ap is OK, but WPA/PSK is no go. Dodging back and forth between a couple of locations at present with various items of gear at each end so will have to confirm open ap access OK tomorrow.

You are getting connections to a secured ap with the setup in LOS2 unmodified? Or was there some tweaking required?

tinker

trying legacy OS 2 with larger LCD monitor

#69 Post by tinker »

I just tried Legacy OS on a more modern computer than you might typically have as the target - a dual core Athlon 64 x2, with a 1600x1200 LCD monitor. I choose 1600x1200 from the xorg list, then it errors out of the wizard with the following messages (I typed these as carefully as possible into another computer, while switching my KVM back and forth, but there may be a few typos)

Error: Expected a box option
Use --help to list options

/tmp/choosexmodedlg: line 3: 1360x768x16: command not found
/tmp/choosexmodedlg: line 3: 1600x1200x16: command not found
/tmp/choosexmodedlg: line 3: 1680x1050x16: command not found
/usr/xbin/xorgwizard: line 705: [: -gt: unary operator expected
/usr/xbin/xorgwizard: line 710: [: -gt: unary operator expected
Starting X, specs in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, startup apps /root/.xinitrc
Legacy OS 2 has exited from the desktop. Type "Xwin" to Restart
(To shutdown legacy OS ...
If (X) desktop failed to start ...

#

and I'm left at the prompt.

russoodle

#70 Post by russoodle »

gnomic wrote:You are getting connections to a secured ap with the setup in LOS2 unmodified? Or was there some tweaking required?
Yes, mine is a WPA connection to my router, no tweaks or mods, just using the Setup > Wizard > Configure Broadband/Network Connection.

One peculiarity i forgot to mention was that, after entering my PSK, saving and using the profile, the dialogue box says that a connection couldn't be made. After clicking the green-ticked OK button, the main window ishows that Puppy could indeed find a live connection, so i proceeded to acquire DHCP and here i am. This aberration has happened in other Puppy variations as well.

I've never had any luck using Barry's SNS (Simple Network Setup) on either my T42P or this D620, for some unknown reason....the Thinkpad successfully uses the ipw2000 driver, by the way. The T40P i used to have used the ath5k driver.

Anyway, to find out which driver module your system has loaded, i don't know how to find that via the CLI but if you look in the System Profiler (Hardinfo), at Kernel Modules, as per attached screenshot, see what yours shows.
Attachments
sysinfo.jpg
hardinfo, showing kernel modules
(69.54 KiB) Downloaded 1619 times
network.jpg
the screen i see after successful connection
(56.52 KiB) Downloaded 1463 times
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

Sylvander

#71 Post by Sylvander »

I'm finding that the panel down the right-hand side of the desktop [don't know its name]...
Disappears every now and then... :(
Like when I run Opera.

I can restart it by dropping to a command prompt...
And restarting xwin.
But then if I run Opera again, it disappears again.

john biles

#72 Post by john biles »

Hello Sylvander,
It's a bit unusual this problem with Opera and the sidebar . You don't need to log out to prompt to restart the sidebar. In Menu under Desktop you'll find "Karamba Desktop Widgets" clicking it will restart the sidebar.

How's SMM working for you. Is it operating as you expected.

Sylvander

#73 Post by Sylvander »

1. smm is working just fine; doing what it aught. :D

2. I see the sidebar also disappears when I run smm.
It re-started ok when I clicked "Menu->Desktop->Applets->Karamba Desktop Widgets".

3. Might this problem have been caused when I installed [not in your supplied set of programs] Xfe?
Xfe seems to be working "normally".
["Normal" doesn't have "Open with" listing all programs previously registered, only the last used]

4. In other Puppies, running Firefox, I use "Firefox sync" to synchronize bookmarks between different Firefox browsers running in these different Puppies.
Is it possible to synchronize the Firefox bookmarks with the Opera bookmarks, so they are all identical?

5. I've found, and I'm reading, Opera Help.
Reading Opera Link, but don't yet understand how to use that to do the above.
I see a link to The web version of Opera LInk.
Will read and attempt to understand.
How would I upload my bookmarks from Firefox, to the "Opera Link" server, so I could then download them from within Opera?

JonT

#74 Post by JonT »

My Inspiron 1100 laptop is fast enough to run newer OS's but its Intel 82845 video chipset gets upset with the newer kernels and xorg's. Puppies Wary and 214X work well for me (using the i810 video driver) so it seemed fun to check out Legacy OS2. It booted from CD uneventfully, so I did a full install, keeping my old legacy grub and following eternal-sunshine's (thanks!) tips. Legacy OS2 was obviously done with thoughtfulness and care. Sound and video work well, though "glxgears" is jerky while claiming about 250 FPS.

Since you (John Biles) seem to appreciate info about what hardware works, here are a few lines from hardinfo.

Processor
Name Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.00GHz
Family, model, stepping 15, 2, 9 (Pentium 4)
Memory 637MB (53MB used)
Resolution 1024x768 pixels
Audio Adapter ICH4 - Intel 82801DB-ICH4
VGA compatible controller Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device
Ethernet controller Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212 802.11abg NIC

Both the network setup wizard and wlassistant work well using WPA [edit: corrected from WEP]encryption with an ASCII passphrase. With wlassistant: Dial-up & Network < Networks > Legacy Wireless Configuration (wlassistant) or just type wlas<tab> in the terminal. The atheros-based wifi card is happy with the ath_pci driver, so I ended up adding

Code: Select all

modprobe ath_pci &
in /etc/rc.d/rc.local to load ath_pci at bootup. Then, wlassistant is simpler, I think, to get reconnected.

Everything I've tried so far (there is a WHOLE lot to try) works well. Thanks for your work, John Biles.

gnomic

those wifi struggles (continued)

#75 Post by gnomic »

Tried some more with CPQ E500 and atheros pcmcia wifi card with ar2413 chipset. Using the network setup wizard autoprobed for drivers. For some reason this inserted the irrelevant 3c59x drivers. Unloaded that and tried selecting ath_pci from driver list.. Got an interface ath0 which was able to scan and see a WPA secured access point. Alas it was not able to connect to same. The hardware is known good.

Bafflement rules. ifconfig doesn't see a wifi interface. iwconfig sees ath0 and an access point. dmesg is talking about a wifi0 and atheros 5212 as it records insertion of the wifi card. ????? Send me a rocket scientist.

Then tried a different machine, ThinkPad R51 with ipw2200. This called wifi interface eth0 and was able to connect to the secured ap, a D-Link in this instance. But just to be awkward, trying to connect later to another ap, a 3com, connection via WPA failed. Cosmic rays?

Back on the E500 with another wifi card, a Belkin with Ralink rt2561s, the situation was not good. An interface ra0 was seen but trying to do anything with it resulted in the gui freezing a couple of times after which I gave up. Hardware known to be good, works with various other distros, etc.

I see others have had better results apparently. Gave wlassistant a run but it doesn't work here. Never seen it working with WPA. I'm afraid rutilt appears to be a waste of space. Aside from just not working, it only supports the sadly obsolete WEP afaict.

umair

Dual Boot

#76 Post by umair »

john biles:
I m using Linux Puppy from last couple of months, used your teen pup mini, loved it wat a gr8 work u have DONE Congr8s Dear. Now want to use Lagacy OS2.

A problem which is I m facing now is that I downloaded Lagacy OS 2 (My Pc Spec. is Pentium-III 1Ghz, 512 MB RAM, 20 HDD), I have Windows XP on C Drive thn I boot Lagacy OS2 with live CD, ran GPARTED and make a EXT2 Partition round about 3 GB (sda5) and also make a SWAP Partition of 500 MB. Everything goes right but have 02 main issues:

1. How to install GRUB to boot Lagacy OS 2 as my boot partition (C drive) is FAT32, not ext2 as I mentioned earlier that I have XP installed. Is there is any method or anything else to install GRUB on FAT32 so I have dual OS option i.e. Windows XP with Lagacy OS 2 (Personally dont like windows but my 8 years relatives wants to play games Smile ).

2. Second issue is my SWAP partition always shows 0 MB usage, I have couple of puplets installed using FRUGAL method i.e. Lucid 525, Macpup and Teenpup mini beta (Note: SWAP Partition works fine with Teen pup mini).
Looking for positive and earlier response.

Regards
UMAIR

postfs1

#77 Post by postfs1 »

To reedit up to date.
Last edited by postfs1 on Mon 28 Mar 2016, 01:38, edited 1 time in total.

starhawk

#78 Post by starhawk »

One small complaint: many cheaper CD-Rs are only 650 MB. Perhaps there is a way to compress it further down to that size?

starhawk

#79 Post by starhawk »

Sorry to take up two posts in a row... but I can't seem to convince LegacyOS2 that I have a USB CD drive. It keeps looking for an IDE CD drive, not finding it, and dying right in the middle of booting.

Is there a way around this? I don't have a 1gig flash drive handy, and I don't fancy buying one, either.

smokey01

#80 Post by smokey01 »

starhawk have you tried configuring your CD drive?

Menu>Setup>CD/DVD Drive wizard