Puppy 2 works with a 32 MB machine

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
nicom

Puppy 2 works with a 32 MB machine

#1 Post by nicom »

I have successfully loaded Puppy2 on my old machine (P133, 32M).

I also have Puppy 1.0.6 running on another partition but was not able to get either 1.07 or 1.08 to boot of the CD, so I was really pleased to get Puppy2 going.

Details are:

Puppy2 Seamonkey loaded on HD (option2). Naturally Mozilla is slow on the machine so I use Dillo for browsing.
Internet connection through network ADSL connection established by wizard.
Automatic mounting of other clients on network established by manual editing of rc.d file.
Have not got sound working yet but I have not spent much time on it. I am getting messages similar to some I have seen in the forums for users of older sound cards.
Other than sound I have not yet found anything that does not work.
I do have a swap partition but I just realised I have not checked whether it is turned on. (I am not at the machine now)

Problems I had during HD installation:
1. I was installing onto a partition which previously had 1.0.7 files on it (but did not work). The installation script for Puppy2 did not seem to wipe these files as the instructions said it would. By manually deleting all files the installation was successful.
2. I already had a grub boot on another partition and I did not want to create a new one so I opted for the create boot disk option. Nothing happened. I then selected make grub but cancelled and the installation proceeded.
3. When I modified my grub script I started by copying commands for previous versions with no success. A search of the forum showed me the change to initrd.gz not image.gz for Puppy2 then success (after sorting out consistent upper/lower case letters). A suggested improvement would be to include a file with the required grub commands (and maybe lilo) somewhere in the package to assist people like me in modifying an existing boot file.

So you see problems were very minor and most of my time was spent getting grub right.

A big well done to all who contributed.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

That is really good news
I was getting the impression that Puppy 2 needed more Ram than 128 meg (I tried it with 128 - no probs)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

eQuackie

#3 Post by eQuackie »

Lobster wrote:That is really good news
I was getting the impression that Puppy 2 needed more Ram than 128 meg (I tried it with 128 - no probs)
Can confirm that, worked via ramdisk on P100 with 128 MB, and it run comparatively fast - had the feeling that it's been fast.

Thomas

Sage

#4 Post by Sage »

marksouth2000

#5 Post by marksouth2000 »

Today I hauled out an old portable with 80Mb RAM, 166MHz 586, 800x600 LCD. Hard drive disabled, so no swap. Booted Puppy2 in default mode from the CD courtesy of Smart Boot Manager on a floppy. Everything came up fine, set the Xvesa driver to 800x600x16 and it worked fine. I was even able to go online without wires, WAG correctly configured the Prism PCMCIA card.

Next plan is to make some swap on the HD and add a FAT partition to do a frugal install. Further reports will follow as opportunity arises.

PS Sage: found 4 sticks of 2Mb EDO RAM in the local charity shop today. How much would be reasonable for them?

ICPUG

#6 Post by ICPUG »

Just to clarify Lobster's comment.

Our beloved leader, Barry, has written in the Developer News that Puppy 2 needs more than 128MB to have the functionality that Puppy 1 had OUT OF THE BOX, i.e. all running in RAM so maximum speed and CD Drive free for other purposes.

However, if you create swap files, hard disk installs, ... then who knows what is possible - as nicom has shown. It just ain't available out of the box.

ICPUG