How to Install Your Printer/Scanner in Puppy

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
mahadi

#21 Post by mahadi »

I am extremely sorry being late.
I was a bit busy with my business.
Well, first, I would like to thank all of you guys for your effort to help me out.
And the good thing is I have solved my problem, my puppy system is now connected to the network printer, and now I can print documents, so far with no problems, but I do not know if any problem might arise, but now it is fine. Well, now, what I did:
In the version of CUPS in my system there was no driver for the model LBP 3300. So, I googled for it, ended up on Canon's website, and downloaded the latest version for linux. Having it untarred, I installed the two .deb files found in 32 bit>Debian directory, and fired up CUPS right after that without following further instruction found in the Docs directory.
That's all, and I think you know what to do next in CUPS setting page.
One thing I would like to mention is that I have used "Windows Printer with smbclient" option and my URI is: "smbc://ip address of the target printer server/share name of the printer"

And again sorry for my late reply.

Thank you.

sandlynx

Can't get Epson Stylus NX215 to print

#22 Post by sandlynx »

I installed all drivers using the .deb packages from avasys, and followed all the directions. Everything looked ok until I tried to print, and all I got was a printer acting like it was printing (the print head was moving back and forth), but only empty pages were coming out.
I think I found the problem when I read further and it said to start pipslited. I tried /etc/init.d/pipslited start, and I got the message: No such file or directory. I checked through ROX file manager for pipslited, and it doesn't exist. I went to /etc/pipslite and it lists
installed ppd.lst and
pipslitedrc which is the closest to what I'm looking for. I tried starting it with:
/etc/pipslite/pipslitedrc start and got the message:
bash: /etc/pipslitec/pipslitedrc: Permission denied.
Note: /etc/init.d/pipslited/ does not exist.
Does anyone know what to do about this? I would love to get this printer working! :roll: :cry:

rcrsn51

Re: Can't get Epson Stylus NX215 to print

#23 Post by rcrsn51 »

sandlynx wrote:Tried everything you said. .... I installed all drivers using the .deb packages from avasys, and followed all the directions.
1. Did you try the Gutenprint NX200 driver that comes with Puppy?

2. Did you try the pipslite-1.5.0.pet from here.? Which model did you use?

3. How did you install the .deb packages? Just by clicking on them? This rarely works correctly with printer drivers. Which PPD file did you use?

sandlynx

Solved the problem with NX215

#24 Post by sandlynx »

I found the problem. It was installed properly (I used Puppy Package Manager to install the .deb files and installed the PPD on the command line. It was not printing because the printer has set for a few weeks without use, and the black cartridge would not put out ink. I changed the cartridge. Before I discovered that this was the problem, I installed the printer on a Windows PC (which is due to have Slackware installed) and the printer had the same "no print" in black problem. I used a test file which had both color and black which is how I figured out that since color is printing, it's not the software that has the problem; it's something else. I had to take a guess that it was the black cartridge because the window on the printer that usually tells you when your cartridges are running low showed no problems. I just guessed that it must be a clogged black cartridge. I changed to a new cartridge, and the printer worked on Windows. I switched back to Wary 5, and tried the printer and it works. Print from file works. I haven't tested the scanner software yet. But it did install properly.
For the record, I used pipslite-1.5.0-3_i386.deb, Epson-Stylus_NX215-pipslite-en.ppd, and iscan-date_1.8.0-0_all.deb using Puppy Package Manager. PPD file installed by command line.
Now that I have it figured out, I will install it on my computer with Lucid Puppy.
Thanks for your quick response.

sandlynx

UPdate on NX215

#25 Post by sandlynx »

I thought that all functions would work with the Wary 5 kernel, but apparently not.
I checked the scanner, and it does not connect with the PC. No scan to PC, scan to PDF, nor scan to email.

rcrsn51

#26 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here are some questions to answer. Please post your reply in the Epson scanner thread here.

1. Did the scanner work in Lupu but NOT in Wary or in NEITHER?

2. The Avasys site lists two packages needed to install the scanner. Have you installed both?

3. What scanning program are you using? Xsane that comes with Puppy or Iscan which is part of the Avasys package?
I checked the scanner, and it does not connect with the PC. No scan to PC, scan to PDF, nor scan to email.
Please be more specific. How did you check? Are you trying to run the scanner off some buttons in its control panel? Those are probably Windows-only.

sandlynx

Scanner not working

#27 Post by sandlynx »

I used the scanner file from avasys, iscan-data_1.8.0-0_all.deb, but I found only one file. I didn't see a second package to install.
I'll go and take a look for the second package for the scanner.
I have Lucid 5.0 on another computer but haven't yet tried to install the printer on that. I tried to install NX215 on Slackware 13.0, and the printer part works fine, but not the scanner part. Considering the 13.0 Slackware kernel, I was told not all functions would work. So I can't tell anything from that.
I tried to use the scanner function by using the scan button on the printer (choices: scan to PC, scan to PDF, scan to email), all-in-one itself since no mention was made of a Console or GUI on PC program to run the scanner function.

rcrsn51

#28 Post by rcrsn51 »

If you want to continue this discussion, please go to the thread I mentioned above.

HiDeHo

#29 Post by HiDeHo »

one thing that was available for 431 as a .pet was splix drivers for puppy. documented here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=40225 these drivers do not work in lupu or later pupps

rcrsn51

#30 Post by rcrsn51 »

HiDeHo wrote:one thing that was available for 431 as a .pet was splix drivers for puppy. documented here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=40225 these drivers do not work in lupu or later pupps
I could not get the Splix package to compile in Lupu 525. However all of its target printers are supported by other packages such as foo2xxx or the samsung_printer-3.00.65.pet .

HiDeHo

#31 Post by HiDeHo »

rcrsn51 wrote:
HiDeHo wrote:one thing that was available for 431 as a .pet was splix drivers for puppy. documented here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=40225 these drivers do not work in lupu or later pupps
I could not get the Splix package to compile in Lupu 525. However all of its target printers are supported by other packages such as foo2xxx or the samsung_printer-3.00.65.pet .
there are soem printe drivers created as pets fior 431 that work in 525adn other lupu series. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=40225 these should work the splix one adds drivers

DutchPuppy

Canon LBP6000

#32 Post by DutchPuppy »

Hi all,

Iam using Puppy for a time (Slickpup now I like it a lot) and lately bought a Canon laserprinter LBP6000. After reading several topics i realise that i made a big mistake for use with Linux by buying Canon. Anyhow I have it and hope to get it work on Puppy. Iam booting from a usb drive since my wife uses XP and under XP its working fine. In Puppy i can add the printer, it also shows this model. If I want to print a testpage it shows its busy with it, but noting happens, not a little sound from the printer. From Canon deb files can be downloaded, but tried those before and also nothing came out of the printer.
I hope someone can help me out of this problem since i do not prefer to use XP to make a print :roll:
If i need to give more specific information, please let me know!
Best regards, Kees

rcrsn51

#33 Post by rcrsn51 »

1. What Puppy version are you using?

2. What is the full name of this printer? Is it an i-sensys LBP6000?

3. When you installed it in CUPS, what model did you pick? The closest one I can see is the LBP-1760 Gutenprint.

4. Is the package that you downloaded from Canon the "CAPT_Printer_Driver_for_Linux_V220_uk_EN"?

When you unpack it, you should see two files named cndrvcups-capt_2.20-1_i386.deb and cndrvcups-common_2.20-1_i386.deb. Another user claimed that he got an LBP-3360 working just by click-installing those packages. But it sounds like that method did not work for you.

Update: See the new instructions here.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sat 27 Aug 2011, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.

DutchPuppy

#34 Post by DutchPuppy »

hi rcrsn51;

-Iam using (slick)pup 5.2.5
-Full name printer = i-sensys LBP6000B
-In CUPS i tried several LBP types. Just now i tried the one you mentioned:
( Canon LBP-1760 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.5 Simplified (grayscale, 2-sided printing )
-Yes I downloaded that one from Canon and yes, I ran the .deb files. After that it looks fine on the screen (model) but nothing comes out of the printer.

In the CUPS 1.4.3 screen it shows:

State
Canon_LBP6000_LBP6018-2 geany job #1 root 77k 1 processing since Sat Aug 27 11:11:39 2011

So it seems it wants to send something but the printer does not accept it.

I downloaded your PET and did choose the LBP 5975 but it keeps on showing that the job is pending but the printer does nothing....

In that zipped file from Canon is a manual that speaks about a ccpd deamon that has to be automatically loaded but i tried that instruction too without success. Maybe I didn't do that properly because honestly speaking Iam not so familiar yet with those files like rc.local etc.

Regards, Kees

rcrsn51

#35 Post by rcrsn51 »

Updated.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sat 27 Aug 2011, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.

DutchPuppy

#36 Post by DutchPuppy »

As a USB device...

So, i deleted the printer first, installed your pet, entered the control panel, hardware, printers. Clicked on administration, add printer, then it shows the model there as well,

Local Printers: LPT #1
CAPT Printer
SCSI Printer
-> Canon LBP6000/LBP6018 (Canon LBP6000/LBP6018)
pdf writer (PDF)
Serial Port #1

I chose the Canon, then seeing the name and description, continue, then have to enter then model and chose LBP 5975 / LBP 1760 in that list.
[edit] because the LBP6000 model is not in the list

Under "manage printers" i can see it is installed as usb:

Connection: usb://Canon/LBP6000/LBP6018

rcrsn51

#37 Post by rcrsn51 »

Updated.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sat 27 Aug 2011, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.

DutchPuppy

#38 Post by DutchPuppy »

rcrsn51:

if i enter the line:

/usr/sbin/ccpdadmin -p LBP6000 -o /dev/usb/lp0

I get

LBP6000 can't find in CUPS Spooler Entry!!

I did connect and switch on the printer.

btw: after i deleted the printer again and search for new printers (after switched on the printer) i can see the Canon, so I assume the usb is recoqnized?

Well, I ran the two deb files again after i deleted the printer. Then i followed your instructions but i get that above mentioned message.

The 2 directories were made in /etc and /var, that seems ok.

So until then i'll stuck at LBP6000 can't find in CUPS Spooler Entry

Thank you for your patience and time to help !

Kees

rcrsn51

#39 Post by rcrsn51 »

Updated.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sat 27 Aug 2011, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.

DutchPuppy

#40 Post by DutchPuppy »

Ok.
I installed the printer with CUPS.
Chose add CAPT Printer
Then entered: ccp://localhost:59687
Then by name and description: LBP6000
Then in the make list i chose CANON, then clicked continue
Then get the list from models, i chose LBP6000/LBP6018 CAPT (UK)(en)
Then get a list of printer settings where i only change "letter" to "A4" and then clicked set default
So far, so good i get:

Description: LBP6000
Driver: Canon LBP6000/LBP6018 CAPT (UK) (grayscale)
Connection: ccp://localhost:59687
Defaults: job-sheets=none, none media=iso_a4_210x297mm

Then in terminal i enter

/usr/sbin/ccpdadmin -p LBP6000 -o /dev/usb/lp0

I get

CUPS_ConfigPath = /etc/cups/
LOG Path = None
UI Port = 59787

Entry Num : Spooler : Backend : FIFO path : Device Path : Status
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[0] : LBP6000 : ccp : //localhost:59687 : /dev/usb/lp0 : Modified

Then after the start command

sh-4.1# /etc/init.d/ccpd start
Starting /usr/sbin/ccpd: .

Then entered cancel -a

Then i open an editor, typed something and try to print.
I can choose LBP6000 in the list

Then still nothing comes out of the printer.

In CUPS checked the print jobs:

▼ ID ▼ Name User Size Pages State Control
LBP6000-14  geany job #2  root  77k  Unknown  processing since
Sun Aug 28 06:23:47 2011   

So nothing out yet