Canon pixma printer drivers

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
steve_s

#121 Post by steve_s »

rcrsn51 wrote:Then you also need to install the Gutenprint driver package as described in the other thread here.
Sweet! Will do then I'll post back...thanks!

steve_s

#122 Post by steve_s »

Thanks, rcrsn51! Worked like a champ...you the man once again! 8)

rcrsn51

#123 Post by rcrsn51 »

Which Gutenprint model did you pick - the i560?

steve_s

#124 Post by steve_s »

rcrsn51 wrote:Which Gutenprint model did you pick - the i560?
I did, it defaulted to that...that ok?

rcrsn51

#125 Post by rcrsn51 »

Canon uses a driver called CAPT for some of its laser printers. This is a larger and more complicated driver than those for ink-jets. The most recent version is

Code: Select all

CAPT_Printer_Driver_for_Linux_V220_uk_EN.tar.gz
Look for it in the Canon Europe site. Or just Google it!

Download and extract the package. Locate the two files cndrvcups-common_2.20-1_i386.deb and cndrvcups-capt_2.20-1_i386.deb. In most Puppies, you can install these by clicking on them.

Then open a console and type:

mkdir -p /etc/cngplp/account
chmod 777 /etc/cngplp/account

mkdir /var/captmon
chmod 777 /var/captmon

/etc/init.d/cups restart
Run the CUPS web interface.
Install the printer in CUPS as a CAPT device.
Enter the URI as: ccp://localhost:59687
Give it the same name as the printer model. For example, "LBP6000".

Open a console and type:

ccpdadmin -p LBP6000 -o /dev/usb/lp0  (this name must match the CUPS name)

/etc/init.d/ccpd start
Do a test print.

If your printer is networked and has an IP address, you can add it with:

ccpdadmin -p LBP6000 -o net:/aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd
If you have problems, here are some trouble-shooting tips:

1. Reboot your computer and printer.
The ccpd daemon should automatically start running again.
Check this with the "ps" command.

2. Run: captstatusui -P LBP6000
Does it see a connection to your printer?

3. Run: ccpdadmin
You can delete a printer from the list with: ccpdadmin -x LBP6000
Then restart the daemon with: /etc/init.d/ccpd restart

-------------------

Some Canon printers use a driver named UFRII. . This one is easier to install. Download and extract the package

linux-UFRII-drv-vxxx-uken
Locate the two files cndrvcups-common_xxx.deb and cndrvcups-ufr2-uk_xxx.deb. In most Puppies, you can install these by clicking on them.

Make sure that you pick the correct 32/64bit versions for your Puppy.

Run the CUPS web interface. USB printers should install with the usual procedure. Networked printers will require a URI something like the following, which may be auto-detected by CUPS.

lpd://aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd/CANON-iRC5180
----------------
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Fri 01 Mar 2019, 09:57, edited 5 times in total.

cacare

canon pixma mp540 pet driver

#126 Post by cacare »

I request canon pixma mp540 driver, please

rcrsn51

#127 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is a PET for the MP540.

For scanning, go here and get the pixma-backend-qrky-1.0.21.pet. Your scanner should then work with Xsane and Peasyscan. If you have Puppy 5.3 Slacko, it may work OOTB.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Fri 18 Nov 2011, 16:55, edited 2 times in total.

ginco

#128 Post by ginco »

I can't get the pet from previous post neither from the one on page 1 of this thread ("The file you requested doesn't exist): could you kindly post it once more, please?
Thanks

rcrsn51

#129 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here it is. Please provide feedback.

ginco

#130 Post by ginco »

Perfect!
Thanks a lot.

grump

#131 Post by grump »

Somehow or other I got my Canon MG8150 working over the wireless. I've had several tries at setting it up on Lupo5.2.8 and the last 3 Slackos. It's been working nicely from my XP machine wirelessly so I was not without printing facilities. I did not have any success installing it as a shared Windows printer.

It seemed to install ok once I got to Slacko5.3 as the driver is included in the package, but whenever I tried a test-page I got a failed to print - something about "... side channel request!" message. I Googled the message and while there is a bit of info there about the message it was not entirely comprehensible to me. One post here mentioned that although the test page failed to print, they could print from an app, so it tried that and it worked, but wanted to print from the rear tray. That reminded me of another post I'd seen about having to set the paper source to a specific tray instead of the default "automatic paper tray select". I set that to "cassette" in the defaults and printed my HCMC to Hanoi railway timetable.

It does not take much to make an old man happy. However, it was only with the help of the information in the printing threads that I was able to muddle my way through, so many thanks to those who answer the queries here.

BTW installation in Windows was not straightforward either - while it printed it would not scan to the PC when installed to a USB port, so I had to try wireless, and fortunately that worked perfick.

buzby01

Canon MX880 not working

#132 Post by buzby01 »

I'm a newbie using Macpup 5.2.8 and I've been fumbling around in the dark for the last two weeks trying to print to my mx880. I got cups to find the printer on the network thanks to your wireless package but when I print something nothing happens. Also tried downloading other drivers that you have on this page but their not active anymore.

Can you help me with this and many thanks for getting me this far

rcrsn51

#133 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is a printer driver for the MX-880.
I got cups to find the printer on the network thanks to your wireless package but when I print something nothing happens
What driver did you originally try?

buzby01

#134 Post by buzby01 »

Thanks for your help rcrsn51 and sorry for taking so long to get back too you Ive been offline for a few days when I broke my macpup installation once I got everything working and tried to back it up.

I originally installed the canon drivers linux drivers from their web site and when I tried to print the job would be sent and the printer woke from sleep mode but nothing happened. I then installed gutenprint 5.2.8 & actually got the printer to work.

Tried to download the guten pets for this but comes up with an empty file errors

In cae anyone else has a problem with this, I think the error was not the drivers but rather you have to select the paper source to Cassette or rear tray as the auto switch option will not work.

Also off topic what is the best way to do a system back up in puppy 5.2.8. I tried copying everything in mnt/home (on a frugal install) to a separate partition and then couldn't reboot or even do a reinstall. I finally worked out after believing my HD had failed that I had to delete the copied files. also pbackup only fills my macpupsave file.

thanks again to all involved in these forums

rcrsn51

#135 Post by rcrsn51 »

Have you tried the PET I posted above? Did it work?

buzby01

Above pet

#136 Post by buzby01 »

No not yet but I will give it a go tonight and get back to you. Thanks again
Cheers

buzby01

#137 Post by buzby01 »

Sorry, couldn't install the package. Ran it okay but in PPM there are no new packages just an extra blank line. Looked in pup and no new drivers available either. I also tried uninstalling gutenprint and reinstalling the pet but still nothing

cheers

rcrsn51

#138 Post by rcrsn51 »

buzby01 wrote:Sorry, couldn't install the package. Ran it okay but in PPM there are no new packages just an extra blank line. Looked in pup and no new drivers available either. I also tried uninstalling gutenprint and reinstalling the pet but still nothing
I just installed this package into several different Puppies, including Macpup 528. In each case there was an entry in the PPM for "Canon printer driver".

I then ran the CUPS wizard. Under Make/Model, there was a listing for the MX880.

buzby01

#139 Post by buzby01 »

Okay, either I'm doing something wrong or there is a conflicting package on my computer so I'll try it on a fresh install of macpup and get back to you.

PS just found out that email notifications wasn't checked in my preferences for this forum so from now on I should be able to get back to you quicker

Cheers

rcrsn51

#140 Post by rcrsn51 »

Try downloading the package to your home directory, then installing it from there. The correct size is 1775 K.