Chrome 12 has issues too

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
dawnsboy

Chrome 12 has issues too

#1 Post by dawnsboy »

I used to like the Chrome browser and found it useful and reliable up to version 10. It lacked some features found in other browsers but has been under continuous development and there are numerous extensions available for use with this browser.

Since version 10 it has not been a useful application.

Below is a screenshot of Rexbang 2.3.3 which features the new and improved Chrome 12.

Note that the browser cannot load the file:///usr/share/doc/home.htm

I noticed a lot of network activity when the browser attempted to load this page.

This same thing happens on regular basis when trying to load Gmail. Imagine that. Google Chrome cannot reliably load Gmail. On occasion it will let me into the account and display my inbox but then fail to load messages.

I have had this same experience with various versions of Chrome or Chromium, etc. as user root, as user spot, with the debian versions and with versions from lucid repo's.

I find it interesting that various folks find "fixes" for the browser but I keep having the same issues with it over and over. Time to move on I guess.
Attachments
chromescreen.jpg
(17.25 KiB) Downloaded 1088 times

DaveS

#2 Post by DaveS »

They do seem to be going through a difficult phase :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

dawnsboy

#3 Post by dawnsboy »

They do seem to be going through a difficult phase Smile
That they do. Hopefully they will figure it out. It has potential.

Meanwhile I have been testing Seamonkey 2.2b. I have come full circle with Puppy right back to where I started.

playdayz

Compile Iron, Chromium, or even Chrome?

#4 Post by playdayz »

I just had this idea and don't know where I should post it, but Chromium and Iron offer the source code and therefore could be compiled by Puppyians for Puppyians. Not me. I do Firefox ;-)

The irritating "cannot run as root" could be removed at the very least. Well, I know that Iron offers its sources http://www.srware.net/en/software_srwar ... wnload.php Iron has already edited the Chromium source for less intrusion, but the last version I tried had that darn won't run as root problem.

lithpr

#5 Post by lithpr »

Just wanted to mention that i have never had a problem with gmail with Chrome, not a single time, and the desktop notifications work well too. Having no problem loading file:///usr/share/doc/home.htm. Loads instantly. No problem's running the latest Chrome as root either. Angry Birds also runs well (on a low-power dual-core w/o hardware accelerated video drives). I love Chrome. It's an awesome browser.

YMMV :)
Last edited by lithpr on Mon 27 Jun 2011, 00:11, edited 1 time in total.

dawnsboy

#6 Post by dawnsboy »

Good for you Scout! :shock:

lithpr

#7 Post by lithpr »

You too. I hope you find a browser & puplet you enjoy. The sun is shining; it's a wonderful life.

Image[/img]
Last edited by lithpr on Mon 27 Jun 2011, 12:29, edited 1 time in total.

DaveS

#8 Post by DaveS »

I have had a fair few issues with Google-Chrome, but I should put this in proper perspective.... the 'run as root' issue is probably a bug as it is not happening with the latest release, or at least a feature that has now been dropped, and in any event, there is a work around.
Other problems, such as borking printing, related to the fact that I was using a .deb package, and the .deb package system seems to have a known bug. Unpacking using instructions provided by 01Micko cured this also.
Once up and running, it has to be said Chrome is a really fine browser, and must surely be pointing the way to the future.
I have ZERO issues with Google-Chrome as installed in Rexbang, where it runs so well that it was the instigator for me getting into it this time round.
The cache issue is going to be a problem for beginners though. Lets hope that gets to be a user setting in the near future.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!