"Sugar" Development Environment in Puppy Linux

Promote Puppy !
raffy

"Sugar" Development Environment in Puppy Linux

#1 Post by raffy »

One way of getting OLPC-bound people know Puppy is by offering them their preferred development environment, named "Sugar".

I have mentioned this in another thread discussing Python for Puppy, but I guess it will be better to discuss this in its own thread.

It has been very difficult to push software to some users and their IT staff not supporting them afterwards. Offering Puppy simultaneously to both users and IT staff (developers) will therefore be a useful approach in promoting Puppy Linux.

klhrevolutionist

hmm

#2 Post by klhrevolutionist »

I cannot write that I know what I'm talking about here, so I will shortly explain my view.

As far as reaching out to developers for puppy or to use puppy. I believe that those developers are well aware of how to compile the specific developing enviroment they like.
So trying to make that choice by adding to or supporting will not go to far. Though it might be a start for those already using puppy & interested in learning, especially if it is supported that would be an incentive as documentation would become plentiful if it is already not.

Maybe look into something similar to apple-script for puppy. Though apple-script is not ported to linux yet, I think. Something similar to or equivalent to would be great. Writing simple shell scripts Is a start for any end-user, but if there is actually a d-enviroment that is similar to apple-script for linux then maybe the foundation should look into or search for.
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

memracom

Re: hmm

#3 Post by memracom »

klhrevolutionist wrote:Maybe look into something similar to apple-script for puppy. Though apple-script is not ported to linux yet, I think. Something similar to or equivalent to would be great. Writing simple shell scripts Is a start for any end-user, but if there is actually a d-enviroment that is similar to apple-script for linux then maybe the foundation should look into or search for.
It's called dbus and it is part of the OLPC environment. Look here to learn more http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/dbus or go to the Sugar repository here http://crank.laptop.org/gitbrowse.php?p=sugar;a=summary and browse through the code to see how they use dbus.