Menu Entry Maker 1.1.17 update

Miscellaneous tools
Geoffrey

Menu Entry Maker 1.1.17 update

#1 Post by Geoffrey »

Updated to Menu Entry Maker 1.1.17

This update I've reworded "Start with" to "Open with", added mozstart to the Open with Options, this will open URL's with seamonkey if the seamonkey news and mail package is installed.

Changed the way icon's and applications are selected, it now has different directories to choose from, as well as the file select browser for non drag-n-drop file managers.

I made the changes in "Racy" to suit the gtk4, also changed the way it selected icons in /usr/share/icons, as they need the full path.

Updated help file.

Updated to Menu Entry Maker 1.1.16

I've updated MenuMaker, this version needs gtkdialog-0.8.0 to function correctly so if you wish to use this then the latest gtkdialog will need to be installed.

It now has a different look, icons on the buttons with hotkeys, the file select for icons now opens /usr/local/lib/X11 and file select for applications now opens /usr.

removed help from edit and delete box's, added a refresh button to the tree list, reworded some of the menu terms and fixed error in code.

It all works just as good as the old version, it's more about aesthetics and keeping up with gtkdialog.

Download is further down the post....

.Image

=====================================================================================================================================

Updated to Menu Entry Maker 1.1.15

This update includes Opera browser support for Fullscreen or Kiosk Mode.

Detects and displays the default browser at the bottom of the GUI with mouse
over text, which shows the options to use with each of the different browsers.

updated the help and tooltip text.

I'll leave the menumaker-1.1.14 for the time being, until menumaker-1.1.15
has been tested a bit more, should be OK though.

let me know if there are any changes anyone would like.

I'm running out of idea's for it, but that might be a good thing :wink:

Updated to Menu Entry Maker 1.1.14

This update is mainly just a tidy up of code, redrafted the help and mouse over tooltip text, this we be the last for awhile.

I'll wait and see how the new gtkdialog develops and see what can be improved or added.

I hope this app is useful to those who have downloaded it, sorry if I update so often, I'm just fussy, if it don't look right i have fix it.

Updated to Menu Entry Maker 1.1.13

This is the latest version, fixed a few errors in the script and resized some of the xdialog GUI's.

Added a new help using xdialog textbox so that the main GUI is operable with help open,
help has simple to follow instructions on how to use the menu entry.

Added a extra Start with entry to the list and replaced the GUI Icon to one that is more appropriate to its function.

Updated to Menu Entry Maker 1.1.12

Well due to popularity I've changed it once again so that now it is more in line with Rox for usability, I think you'll like this one smokey :wink:

Updated to Menu Entry Maker 1.1.11

Added extra options:

As well as Dosbox a variety of terminals, default web browser and default text editor can be used to run programs and open files.

If anyone can think of anything else that could be added feel free to make suggestions.

Menu Entry Maker 1.1.10
I though that I'd had better start a new thread as the original one was getting a bit messy.

Well I updated it once more, I found that I had a number of dos game and apps I could use that run fine in Dosbox,
so I've added a function to the menu maker, to allows you to select Dosbox, so it can run in a window or full-screen.

I've tested it repeatedly so it should be fine, works really well, why didn't I think of this before, all those scripts I use to write,
well I hope you like it and it's of some use to those who still use dos apps and game's
Attachments
menumaker-1.1.17.pet
(5.09 KiB) Downloaded 4398 times
menumaker-1.1.16.pet
Needs new gtkdialog to function correctly, if in doubt stay with menumaker-1.1.15
(4.89 KiB) Downloaded 924 times
menumaker-1.1.15.png
(25.41 KiB) Downloaded 4067 times
menumaker-1.1.15.pet
(4.81 KiB) Downloaded 2132 times
Last edited by Geoffrey on Sun 04 Dec 2011, 00:12, edited 14 times in total.

smokey01

#2 Post by smokey01 »

Geoffrey it looks and works quite well now.

I notice the icon and file icons are different in your graphic than what is used in the version I just downloaded. You must be using a different icon set to me.

I still think it's worth pointing to the default icon directory when selecting an icon. I agree it's easy enough to type the pathname, and you have provided the path in the mouseover help, but having to type does put many people off.

Good job. :wink:

Geoffrey

#3 Post by Geoffrey »

smokey01 wrote:Geoffrey it looks and works quite well now.

I notice the icon and file icons are different in your graphic than what is used in the version I just downloaded. You must be using a different icon set to me.

I still think it's worth pointing to the default icon directory when selecting an icon. I agree it's easy enough to type the pathname, and you have provided the path in the mouseover help, but having to type does put many people off.

Good job. :wink:
Hi smokey01,

Thanks, yes different icon set, I'm still thinking of how to select icons, I would like it so that i would only have to click on one and it would be added,
I was looking at thunar file manager and the way it adds icons to its right click menu, it has a nice icon browser that list every icon in there categories,
so I'm looking for something similar to do the job, I would like to add a icon preview where the menu icon is in the GUI,
I was looking at 01micko's dice roller the way it changes the image using the new gtkdialog3, that would be a nice improvement.

But this may take me a while , I'm still learning as I go, though I'm open to suggestions.
Attachments
icon_browser.png
this is the thunar icon browser, something like this would be most suitable
(70.24 KiB) Downloaded 4009 times

smokey01

#4 Post by smokey01 »

Did you see the way I had it set up. You simply drag and drop the icon onto the white space in the choose icon field.

Pretty simple and no typing.

Geoffrey

#5 Post by Geoffrey »

smokey01 wrote:Did you see the way I had it set up. You simply drag and drop the icon onto the white space in the choose icon field.

Pretty simple and no typing.
Yes smokey01, but I don't have rox only thunar file browser which has no drag and drop to gtkdialog, thats why I left it the way it is.

The way you have it makes the button only open the icon directory with rox, it doesn't actually select anything,
so if you have any other file browsers other than rox it doesn't serve any purpose, at lest this way it's useable by all.

That's why I'm looking for a better way to do it, I haven't had much luck though, the gtkdialog "fileselect" doesn't seem to have any other options which is a pitty, so if anyone has some ideas..

smokey01

#6 Post by smokey01 »

Why use thunar instead of Rox? Rox is brilliant and well integrated into the window manager.

Anyway now I understand your problem.

Have you been reading the gtkdialog thread? there are some good clues in there especially from a new subscriber called thunar. He has a vast set of skills. Maybe he can offer a solution.

Geoffrey

#7 Post by Geoffrey »

Updated to Menu Entry Maker 1.1.11

see first post

Geoffrey

#8 Post by Geoffrey »

Updated to Menu Entry Maker 1.1.12

see first post

smokey01

#9 Post by smokey01 »

Very nice.

Geoffrey

#10 Post by Geoffrey »

smokey01 wrote:Very nice.
Hi smokey,

yes I thought that you might like that, but I'm not finished yet, seeing it as the ability to open web pages with the default browser,

I'm in the process of working out all the commands for the different web browsers so that it will open them in new windows and what ever

else I can get them to do, I thought that this would be good for those that want to use cloud software and place it in the menu,

so far it's looking quite feasible, I will only do it for firefox, seamonkey and chrome,

chrome as the defaultbrowser for instance, the command to open in a new window is,"defaultbrowser --new-window yahoo.com".

So I'll see how it pans out , by the way, is there anything that you feel it could do with.

Cheers
Geoffrey

DaveS

#11 Post by DaveS »

x2 Very Nice :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

smokey01

#12 Post by smokey01 »

Geoffrey, simply dragging the URL from the browser to the application whitespace works already, and of course Cut & Paste.

One really nice feature would be to able to click on the icon and it is selected rather than having to drag and drop it to the fields whitespace. I think you are still looking for a solution. I wonder if Don570 Right-clicks might provide the answer or even be used as a companion? Do you realise you can mark (highlight) the icon or file then press the scroll wheel button on the mouse to copy?

Some mouseover help for the start with and category field might be useful. Maybe some of these little tips could be displayed when clicking on the Help button.

Do you know if it possible to add to categories, such as Help and Shutdown or in fact create new categories?

When you select Dosbox I assume this requires Wine?

Thanks

Geoffrey

#13 Post by Geoffrey »

smokey,
simply dragging the URL from the browser to the application whitespace works already, and of course Cut & Paste
Yes I'm aware of that, but it still needs to be opened with the default browser, the url by itself with no start option don't work.

The infomation I found varies, though "defaultbrowser -new-window" works with Google Chrome, Firefox and seamonkey,
otherwise if defaultbrowser alone it used it will open in a tab if a browser is already running, I just thought that if it used for
an online application it should have it's own window, though I can make it with two options, either new window or as a tab.
One really nice feature would be to able to click on the icon and it is selected rather than having to drag and drop it to the fields whitespace.
Yes still thinking on that one, it's a problem with the limitations that gtkdialog has,
yes, rightclick in rox might be the answer to copy the path to menu makers temp file, I'll look at that.
Do you realise you can mark (highlight) the icon or file then press the scroll wheel button on the mouse to copy?

Don't seem to be able to get that to work for me, when I try it, the file opens and rox is closed, I couldn't find a option to change that in rox.
Some mouseover help for the start with and category field might be useful. Maybe some of these little tips could be displayed when clicking on the Help button.
I was thinking of that, but thought that it may get a bit messy with popups everywhere, the help seems a better way
but I will have to make it run as a separate gui so it can be left open for a guide,
the way it is, it needs to be closed to return functionality to the main gui, I'll fix that.
Do you know if it possible to add to categories, such as Help and Shutdown or in fact create new categories?
Don't know about doing that, .menu files in /etc/xdg/menus/ would have to be edited to add extras,
though I have done it in xfce adding a "Wine" category with a "Programs" tab to stop wine menu entries going into "Other".

At the moment I'm using rexbang with openbox so it's hard for me to tell whats what,
maybe someone with a bit more knowledge of the menu system could give some advice.
When you select Dosbox I assume this requires Wine?

Nearly right, :wink: Dosbox is needed and it's dependencies, I thought that this entry was needed as it's such a pain to set them up,
just trying to find info on how to run dos apps hard enough so this does it all for you, should make it a breeze for newbies.

It will be a little while before I update it again, it seems every time I have an idea for a small change I upload it, I'll wait until I something
substantially better before I do.

regards

Geoffrey

smokey01

#14 Post by smokey01 »

Do you realise you can mark (highlight) the icon or file then press the scroll wheel button on the mouse to copy?

Don't seem to be able to get that to work for me, when I try it, the file opens and rox is closed, I couldn't find a option to change that in rox.

Place the cursor just left of the file, press left mouse button and move the cursor over the file then release the button. The file will now be highlighted. Now place the cursor over the whitespace/field and press the scroll wheel button.

The filepath will be copied.

Geoffrey

#15 Post by Geoffrey »

smokey01 wrote:

Place the cursor just left of the file, press left mouse button and move the cursor over the file then release the button. The file will now be highlighted. Now place the cursor over the whitespace/field and press the scroll wheel button.

The filepath will be copied.
smokey,

Silly me, :roll: thanks now it works, I guess it shows that I don't use rox much.

Geoffrey

#16 Post by Geoffrey »

Updated to Menu Entry Maker 1.1.13

see first post

Geoffrey

#17 Post by Geoffrey »

Updated to Menu Entry Maker 1.1.14

see first post

pemasu

#18 Post by pemasu »

No problem. Your product was announced just in time to be in Polarpup 002. I had already added your previous version and during my checkup build I noticed your latest version.
Thank you of your time and this nice addition tool.

Geoffrey

#19 Post by Geoffrey »

pemasu wrote:No problem. Your product was announced just in time to be in Polarpup 002. I had already added your previous version and during my checkup build I noticed your latest version.
Thank you of your time and this nice addition tool.
pemasu,

Thanks, yes I thought that I had better tidy it up a bit, I edited all of the help and tooltip text,
a lot of it looked long winded so now it's shorter and more direct to the point, writing instructions is not my forte.

If you see anything that you feel should be changed let me know.
If it wasn't for DaveS and smokey01, I most likely wouldn't of started working on it again, I'm glad I did now.

Geoffrey

DaveS

#20 Post by DaveS »

x2 :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!